The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Any Death fans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

Any Death fans?

Today marks the fifth anniversary of Chuck Schuldiner's death. Death was one of my favorite bands growing up and had a major influence on death metal. Chuck left a massive impression on heavy metal music that will last forever and none of us will ever be able to forget him or his band. Hail Chuck!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:46 PM

i heard them once a long time ago when they first came out....ive never beena fan of death metal really cuz of the like growling they do, but the music does kick ass

RIP Chuck

alot of metal musicians die and dont get the recognition like them sorryass rappers do
Old 12-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Banned

Yeah, I should have posted about Dimebag too. His two year was the other day.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Didn't know who Chuck was, but Dimebag's doin' all right - they buried him in Texas, and he's got a guitar in the casket with him that was placed there by Eddie Van Halen. Play on, Dimebag......
Old 12-13-2006, 06:02 PM

I am partly a fan of death.........it all depends on who is doing the dying
Old 12-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Banned

Name:  chuckrip.gif
Views: 23
Size:  45.9 KB
Old 12-14-2006, 01:54 PM

didnt he do other side projects beside Death? cant remember the names tho

one of the musicians that passed on and wasnt like even mentioned on mtv or vh1 or anywhere else really was Eric Carr the drummer for KISS...that really pissed me off cuz the guy was a good guy and a well i guess a decent drummer(they are all the same to me); he got like no mention, same as with Chuck S from death, as well as Gar Samuelson from Megadeth
Old 12-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

He formed Control Denied after Death and played guitar for Voodoocult. Metal musicians don't seem to get any attention or recognition when they pass. Other than by true fans of course.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Banned

And before anyone starts guessing about his short life span being from drugs or something it's not. He died of brain cancer. Here is the short version of his battle with cancer:

In May 1999, Schuldiner experienced pain in his upper neck, which he initially thought was a pinched nerve. He consulted with a chiropractor followed by a massage therapist/acupuncturist who recommended an MRI Exam. He was correct about the pinched nerve, unfortunately, it was being caused by a tumor. On his birthday, May 13, 1999, Schuldiner was diagnosed with pontine glioma, a type of brain cancer that invades the brain stem and immediately underwent radiation therapy.

In October 1999, Schuldiner’s family announced that the tumor had necrotized and that he was on the way to recovery. In January 2000, Schuldiner underwent surgery to remove what remained of his tumor. The operation was a success, however, the Schuldiner family was struggling financially. The total costs of the operations would come to $70,000, a price the Schuldiner family could not afford. Many fundraisers, auctions, and benefit concerts took place to help cover the costs. The money began to come in as the metal community, in total shock, realized that Schuldiner's life was in danger. The metal community and the Schuldiner family showed deep concern because Schuldiner could lose his life due to lack of funds. The doctors that removed his tumor called the original diagnosis of pontine glioma a misdiagnosis.

Schuldiner continued to work on his music, continuing his work with Control Denied. About two years after his original diagnosis, in May 2001, the cancer returned and Schuldiner fell ill again. He was originally denied surgery (which he needed immediately) due to lack of funds. A press release called for support from everyone, including fellow artists. Jane Schuldiner urged all who read the statements about Schuldiner and his illness to go out and get insurance, showing her frustration in the American system. Schuldiner received a chemotherapy drug called vincristine to help with his therapy. Like most drugs used in the treatment of cancer, the side effects were harsh and weakened Chuck greatly. Undaunted, Schuldiner fought on. In late October/early November, Schuldiner became ill with pneumonia. He died on December 13, 2001, at approximately 4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
It's been 2 years already? Damn where is the time going?