The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Any luck pulling dents out of garage door?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 PM

Question Any luck pulling dents out of garage door?

Pulled in too close to the garage overhead door (Not w/ HHR though). Put a small cosmetic crease in one of the panels of the garage door, outside that faces driveway.

Is it possible to pull such a dent/crease with a dent puller like for cars?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:27 PM

I'm guessing a aluminum door? Not gonna be easy. They don't like to "return" to their original shape.....

I feel you pain. I slammed into one of mine several years ago with the riding mower. Was clearing off the drivway after cutting, foot slipped off of the clutch. I wheelied into the door,,,,,,,, hard. Knocked one side off the track.

Needless to say, had to put up a new door that night so wife could get out for work the next morning.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:32 PM

Its metal... probably aluminum I guess (?). Damn door is only 2 yrs old. I called the overhead door co that put it in and they want $280 to replace the effected panel in the door.

It was one of those deals where you pull up and realize you're against the door with the bumper. The plastic license plate mount on front of bumper pressed on the door just enough to leave a faint crease, but you can see it from the street Door works fine, just cosmetic.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Its metal... probably aluminum I guess (?). Damn door is only 2 yrs old. I called the overhead door co that put it in and they want $280 to replace the effected panel in the door.

It was one of those deals where you pull up and realize you're against the door with the bumper. The plastic license plate mount on front of bumper pressed on the door just enough to leave a faint crease, but you can see it from the street Door works fine, just cosmetic.
If you were local, I have two spare panels now. I'd let you have one. To install is easy if you are just reuseing the tracks and such. Hard part is getting the springs off. But if you can open the door, it's easy. I had to remove with the door closed and car parked next to it. Lucky I didn't hit it when that spring came off and shot away.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

If the door isn't insulated or lined, it's an easy bump out (depending on a "small cosmetic crease"). Paint to match may be the biggest problem.

Helped a friend with this, a while back. Can't tell even now. But he elected to paint the entire door a different color (HD and Lowes Really couldn't match the original).
Old 07-18-2007, 03:47 PM

Its insulated. Has the vinyl insul-panels on the inside I think they're styrofoam with vinyl sheathing.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 PM

I wonder if the heat-gun and CO2 trick would work?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 PM

You could always fill it will body filler then paint the entire door. I've seen that done on home improvement shows to repair door frames and support posts. The only question is whether it will adhere to aluminum.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

I was thinking this to. But again depending on the "small crease", the door would need a service call to readjust the springs (if automatic). I added like 5 pounds of door seal to the bottom of a giant 20 x 12 and had to have the springs "touched up".
Old 07-18-2007, 07:24 PM

The metal is textured, bondo repair would show as a smooth spot.

I'd take a picture but my camera is broken.

Quick Reply: Any luck pulling dents out of garage door?