The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Anyone else play guitar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Anyone else play guitar?

I've been playing just as a hobby for about 20 years. I have an Ibanez RG470 and a Marshall amp. Here is a sample:

Anyone else play?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM

I have a acoustic ibanez that i like to play. I am mostly self taught, with some lessons I took in my teens(10 years ago). I am really only good with 5-6 chords, not particularly good with bar chords, and can't play/don't remember pentatonics, and other cool stuff.

I have gotten a lot better in the last two years or so. I had learned originally with a fender strat, and had an amp with a distortion pedal, but sold it all and kind of quit by the time I was 15(im 25 now). I just recently picked it up again, so who knows where I will go with it.

So if you had to rate me from 1-10 skill wise, I'd be around a 2.

very nice job btw...
Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Yep. Like to play, song write, and have a studio in my house.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM

I classify myself as a wannabe guitar player. There is nothing I would like more than to learn to play guitar. A few years ago, I bought a Fender Starcaster. It's a knock off Stratocaster and looks just like one. I also bought a beautiful Marshall amp on E-Bay. Kinda put the cart before the horse. I got a few learner books and DVDs. I was really serious about learning. After a while, I was coming along at a snails pace. At my age arthritis sort puts a damper on finger and wrist movement. so needless to say, I have not progressed much. You folks who play make it look so easy. Now I know it's not easy,at least not for me. I keep saying to myself I can do it. Trouble is, convincing myself. Anyway, I love guitar music and I think guitar players are a special breed. Hope I didn't put you all to sleep.

Indiana J.J.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by IndianaJ.J.
I classify myself as a wannabe guitar player. There is nothing I would like more than to learn to play guitar. A few years ago, I bought a Fender Starcaster. It's a knock off Stratocaster and looks just like one. I also bought a beautiful Marshall amp on E-Bay. Kinda put the cart before the horse. I got a few learner books and DVDs. I was really serious about learning. After a while, I was coming along at a snails pace. At my age arthritis sort puts a damper on finger and wrist movement. so needless to say, I have not progressed much. You folks who play make it look so easy. Now I know it's not easy,at least not for me. I keep saying to myself I can do it. Trouble is, convincing myself. Anyway, I love guitar music and I think guitar players are a special breed. Hope I didn't put you all to sleep.

Indiana J.J.
"Special breed". Thanks that's nice of you to say. I hope this doesn't sound conceded, but I took to guitar playing very quickly without any lessons, so I think you might be on to something. I wrote that "riff" above about 2.5 years after starting playing. Of course, I had no social life at that point and no work/kids/etc. so I was playing several hours per day...Now I'm lucky to play a half-hour per week. Here's another video:

Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM

I play classical (nylon strings) as a hobby. No pick, all fingers/nails. I have a conventional solid wood Cordoba C9 and recently got a Cordoba GK Studio (flamenco) plug-in & cut-away for less serious stuff.
My 14 YO daughter plays as well, so we occasionally get to play together as a duo in addition to our own solo pieces.

Yves