The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Apples, they ain't what they used to be!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Apples, they ain't what they used to be!

Maybe it's just me but I have not had a good apple in quite a while. Mushy and no flavor, hard or other wise unappealing. Red Delicious, Gala, Pink Lady makes little difference. Maybe it is just my locale. How about you?
Old 05-10-2015, 12:01 PM

A lot depends on what time of the year you are referring to.

Most US apples are harvested in late September and October/November depending on Variety.

Once picked they are shipped or sent to controlled cold storage.

Many are warehoused where they use propane powered fork lifts and those apples absorb the burned propane fuel fumes and taste like Sh-t. We have returned many purchases from that issue alone. Many people are not sensitive enough to even realize that issue. It is a distinctive flavor taste change and once you have smelled burned propane fuel you will never forget it.

The quality of the stored apples starts the deterioration stage from picking time on.
Proper cold storage just slows it down.
Then they are shipped as needed to the sellers/stores where a good part of the time they speed up there deterioration process. That's not good for the apples.
Then after who knows how long .. you the buyer get to purchase what's available and in an unknown condition.
There you have it.....
The closer you are to purchasing near the pick time the better apples you will get.
Personally I like Fuji's best.
Nearing the end of the apple storage stage ie. JulyAugust we sometimes get Fuji's from New Zealand. They are usually far superior to the US crop.

Bottom Line ....It's a Crap Shoot depending on where you live and buy your product.

Silverfox

Last edited by Silverfox; 05-10-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:08 PM

Thanks. I will look for the Fuji apples. I have not tried these.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Just my experience also......

But basically the same as you EXCEPT when I purchase fruit from Costco (may be a tad higher in cost) which has excellent quality and NEVER had anything go bad while in my possession. The down side is sometimes you are required to purchase quantities higher than needed. BUT again based on my experience, NEVER had anything mold, get mushy, etc. in a 2-3 week period (while refrigerated). I generally remove the DAY BEFORE what I figure I will eat the next day.

I should mention, I shop Costco about every 2-3 weeks and spend about $100 each time just on produce. I am a very large fresh produce consumer......love salads, cooked fresh greens, fresh fruit, etc.

Anyway, just my thought and opinion.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:31 PM

Part of the issue is they are refrigerated and that's where we tend to keep them to extend their shelf life. Try keep you next batch out to fully ripen in the natural sunlight.

Many folks are unaware apples will store for a long time if done properly.

How to Store Apples: 13 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Old 05-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Deceased

Funny that this topic came up, I was on the phone this morning with an old friend in Scotland, and Jim was bemoaning the poor quality of produce this year.

His second complaint was the sharp rise in prices, they're paying two or three times as much for things compared to last year. As an example, a softball sized tomato cost the equivalent of 19¢ a year ago, just yesterday they were the equivalent of $1.04 each.

Nice find on the storage article taz3, learned some new things from it.:thumb;
Old 05-10-2015, 11:45 PM

I keep my extra refer set at 33-38 degrees F.
I use a high quality thermometer.
Any self defrost refer cycles and the temp will vary continually so it depends on where the cycle is when you check your temp.
Temp can vary from top to bottom as well. Most boxes have differences.
Not many people care much about there refer maintenance until it starts acting up.
I clean my Refer Coils regularly and monitor the temp every few weeks but I also buy high quality Organic fruit and vegetables and want to keep them as fresh as possible.

Silverfox