The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Attention Interstate Travelers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 07:42 PM

Attention Interstate Travelers!

I spent over 20 hours on I-10 and I-75 this holiday weekend and I really need to vent!

To all you tourists traveling to Florida, we greatly appreciate your tax dollars that help build schools, roads, and drive our entire economy. However, we have some rules of the road you need to follow. Most important:

1)STAY AS FAR RIGHT AS POSSIBLE EXCEPT TO PASS
2)PASS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, ACCELERATE IF NECESSARY, THEN RETURN TO YOUR ORIGINAL LANE

In other words, don't sit in the left lane with your cruise control set at 70 mph! And don't drive hauling a trailer or in motor home in the center lane! I understand you don't want to change lanes when cars merge onto the interstate. However, it's their job to find an opening not yours to stay out of their way.

When traveling on I-75, I spend most of my time in the right lane and I'm usually traveling at 75 mph. Please don't report me as I still get run over by many others. I move into the right lane because it's open but I often pass cars in the center and left lane going much slower. I don't know if you tourists are too tired by the time you reach Florida to change lanes or what. But, I have to say I hate driving along side you and often take other routes and bypass the part of I-75 between I-10 and the turnpike just to avoid the tourist crowd!

The funny part is I-10 is only 2 lanes each way and I don't often see the same problem. Yes, it was busy this weekend and I was driving along side many FSU students but most people stay to the right except to pass. There was the burgundy Ford window van from Louisiana that caused some problems. But, myself and a Nissan Z left him in the dust once we got past him.

Yes, my HHR with that puny 2.2L engine can keep up with and pass the best of them. It also has great acceleration. And, the cruise does great maintaining speed on hills. I often get slowed by other cars that don't do as well. And I finally saw 30 mpg!

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now. Hope I didn't offend anyone. I just had to say my piece. I'll probably make close to 21 more of these trips before my son graduates from the U. of Florida. I also travel to Naples at least once a year. There may be more to come!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:46 PM

More to come? More are welcomed.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:50 PM

I just got back from FL tonight. As soon as I got on I-65 everything stopped. I sat there for about 15 mins and the furthest I got was out of the merging lane. Well I turned around and went back up the exit I came off of (lots of people were doing it) and pulled over to a gas station so I could figure out a back road to take. The funny thing was the fact I looked around the gas station parking lot and noticed I wasnt the only HHR around. Matter of fact there were 5 HHRs at one gas station. It looked like we were having a little rally or something. I didnt have time to talk to any of them seeing how I was pretty upset about the traffic and just wanted to get home.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:51 PM

Uh Sandy, you didn`t mention (1) HHR that was creating a problem. So who are you addressing here.(I`m not trying to get in trouble though)
Old 11-26-2006, 07:54 PM

Mini Run

Originally Posted by john_a_basilio
I just got back from FL tonight. As soon as I got on I-65 everything stopped. I sat there for about 15 mins and the furthest I got was out of the merging lane. Well I turned around and went back up the exit I came off of (lots of people were doing it) and pulled over to a gas station so I could figure out a back road to take. The funny thing was the fact I looked around the gas station parking lot and noticed I wasnt the only HHR around. Matter of fact there were 5 HHRs at one gas station. It looked like we were having a little rally or something. I didnt have time to talk to any of them seeing how I was pretty upset about the traffic and just wanted to get home.
John, there were as many HHRs at that station as some official RUNS I`ve read about.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Uh Sandy, you didn`t mention (1) HHR that was creating a problem. So who are you addressing here.(I`m not trying to get in trouble though)
BB, obviously you don't get it. She is just venting, expessing her frustration of the tourist drivers not knowing how to drive. She would only address a HHR making a problem if a HHR was making a problem. You can't put it simplier than that. You obviously don't get it.

Heh, you even thing LLB is a real person. HES NOT!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:08 PM

I know how I-65 works - wait, it doesn't. I don't think I have ever made the trip to or from Florida without sitting a bit for something (usually construction). Next time I'm in FWB we'll get together and stop the traffic !!! I was in the area over 4th of July, will not do that again.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:30 PM

Hay, come to West Texas from Kerrville to El Paso on I-10 you'll see this and very little traffic.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by MCANAW
Hay, come to West Texas from Kerrville to El Paso on I-10 you'll see this and very little traffic.

i'm planning a trip in the spring from San Diego to Mississippi, tho i like the speeds in Texas.... but damn that's a big state to drive thru
Old 11-26-2006, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by JimZ_HHR
i'm planning a trip in the spring from San Diego to Mississippi, tho i like the speeds in Texas.... but damn that's a big state to drive thru

JimZ_HHR, Where and when are you planning on coming to MS. I live in Greenville and would like to hook up if you do come down for some Southern Hospitality

Let me know if you would like this and I will make plans on it and send you my phone and email etc... It would be nice to see someone from the Diego area again, spent many years there in the Navy and really do miss a it..

Sorry Not trying to hijack the thread, will shut up now and get back on subject

Quick Reply: Attention Interstate Travelers!