The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

ban cell fone use while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Airborne_Beachbum
The Army (propably all services) has made the same law while driving on post. The MP's will pull you over and give you a citation if you are caught driving and talking on the phone without a hands-free set.

Nick

Nick
You are right about that. The U.S. Navy was the last to put this Law into effect. The Norfolk Safety had pushed this issue and won, and as of June 2006 you have to have a Hands Free that means a Cradel mount that cost $225.00 plus mounted in your vehicle in order for you to drive and talk on the cell phone. You can not have a Hands free unit that you buy at a cell phone shop and cost $35.00 thay are not a real HANDS FREE UNIT. If you know what I mean. The only person that can talk on the cell and drive are EMERGENCY VEHICLES OPERATORS LIKE POLICE, FIRE, & AMBULANCE DRIVERS. On any Military Instalations or on any Highway in the USA.
Military or Civilian EMS OPERATORS.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:03 PM

Stan
Did you by any chance bring any new signs back home with you.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:10 PM

There's a time and place for a cell phone and behind the wheel of a car is not one of them. We as adults set an example for our children and grandchildren. While some people believe they can do both safely, it sets a bad example for young drivers who think they can do the same.

I think todays generation has way too many "gadgets" in their cars that distract from the attention that needs to be taken when driving an automobile. A radio/CD player is distraction enough...and now we've got DVD players, laptops, GPS devices and even televisions.

I'm not saying that these are bad things, just distractions. Yes, I have a cell phone and have been guilty of using it when driving, but when it rings now, I ignore it or pull over. I also have a laptop with a GPS program, but I made sure I got the program that actually tells you when to turn, so I don't have to look over and see the map. DVD players are fine...but should be confined to the rear seats of the vehicle in my opinion.

Enough rambling...I think you understand how I feel about the entire matter of gadges in the front cabin area of a vehicle.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Z-man.....

I've got some itching, when I came back.....I don't know if that's a sign of anything (j/k)

Deb and cvroger.....

I agree. IMO, good for the opinion/editorial page, of one of the daily "fish-raps".

I'm kind of disgusted with the attitude (or lack of courtesy) of SOME cell phone users. Have you noticed.... even though they are on the phone they talk loud enough to be heard without it. Also, notice people in resturants have very little respect for fellow diners, or even the people they are with. One guy talked for about 40 minutes continuously...his date/wife finally got up and left. His expression was "what did I do"?
Old 11-17-2006, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Z-man.....

I've got some itching, when I came back.....I don't know if that's a sign of anything (j/k)

Deb and cvroger.....

I agree. IMO, good for the opinion/editorial page, of one of the daily "fish-raps".

I'm kind of disgusted with the attitude (or lack of courtesy) of SOME cell phone users. Have you noticed.... even though they are on the phone they talk loud enough to be heard without it. Also, notice people in resturants have very little respect for fellow diners, or even the people they are with. One guy talked for about 40 minutes continuously...his date/wife finally got up and left. His expression was "what did I do"?
Last weekend my wife and I were amazed at this couple who both talked on cell phones. THey both had to have separate conversations going for at least 30 minutes! It was like they weren't there together; same table on a patio and said five words to each other. We vowed to not be that couple!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

teech.....

Not that I didn't like you before, but I starting to like you more and more.

Not "stroking". Just mentioning a person that appears to have honesty, high moral standards, integrity and common sense. Sommething that lacks in todays society...IMO.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
teech.....

Not that I didn't like you before, but I starting to like you more and more.

Not "stroking". Just mentioning a person that appears to have honesty, high moral standards, integrity and common sense. Sommething that lacks in todays society...IMO.
LIkewise. Cheers-
Old 11-17-2006, 03:19 PM

I'm with EasyRay on this one - passing laws won't mean squat on something as easy as using a cell phone while driving. Also, laws won't keep you from becoming yet another victim. I recently attended a defensive driving course and at the beginning of the class the instructor asked everyone (about 115 of us) to state the reason for having to attend the class. (I was there for running a red light and getting caught on the intersection's camera - 1st ticket in over 15 years, so I don't think I'm doing all that bad!) Anyway, just under 2/3 of the people in the class were there because they received a ticket for rear-ending someone and getting the ol' "following to closely" ticket. It surprised me; I expected most of the attendees to say they were there for speeding tickets, but they proved me wrong. They also discussed why they rear-ended the person in front of them, and all sorts of reasons were discussed; cell phone use was only one of many. Other reasons were: reaching back to give the kids something, changing CD's, looking at billboards or other cars/drivers, or just plain overall lack of attention.
Now, if only we could pass a law mandating that people pay attention.....
Old 11-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Hey PhxHHR....

In Arizona, people are mostly "cited" for "following to close" with different wording..."Speed not Reasonable and Prudent". Which is a speeding ticket. The law says you are required to maintain speed and driving conditions to prevent interfering with another person, vehicle or object, legally within the roadway. However, most PEOPLE will say, "Following to close.". It really comes down to WHAT ARS Title is written, i.e.,.....ARS 28-xxx.xxx. And, "speeding" violations cost more than some others, if I remember correctly. So, if you don't get a break, the speeding violation is written.

Spent some time in Arizona law enforcement (as well as other jurisdictions).

But, passing a law, prohibiting cell phone use, will limit the use (amount is argumentative) and also supplies law enforcement with another tool, while investigating accidents, in helping to get bad drivers off the road (legally).

But understand, I am not for, or against a ban, at this time. Just voicing an opinion, based on some discussions with law enforcement people.

Oh, I forgot to say.....according to AAA, cell phone use has now surpassed alcohol as the number one reason for accidents.