The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Can't beat 'em Join 'em

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:32 AM

Can't beat 'em Join 'em

Well I've matured over the last disappointing month or so in trying to at least break even on my HHR and get Trade book value for it so I have taken the high road and decided to mod the .... out of it until I have a smile on my face when I get in to drive it as I will every day in the foreseeable future. It will go from Her daily driver to my DD car. I usually get the beater so this is a big upgrade from my 97 Accord with 220K that I just sold for 2000. That being the bright side. I am having the hitch put on 5/18/10 and have already done some other stuff. I took out the dash box and made some room under it for DC accessories. Having a GPS cord with the traffic option going over the stereo sucked. It was always in the way and irritated me every time I looked down at it. Now I have all that clutter gone and added a nice power inverter to the mix with USB charger built in. I will add pics to my profile only because I don't know how to do it to a thread yet. The Modified stereo with subs is next and that should be a breeze with the Battery being in the back. That is the ONLY good thing about it being back there so I might as well take advantage right?

Although this is still for sale I figured I would make it tolerable for myself while still in my possession....

Last edited by Axleburg; 05-15-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 AM

Another advantage to having the battery in the rear of a vehicle is that it is not subjected to temp swings, which is one of the major issues with shortened battery life. Optimal battery temp for longevity is 77F, but temp changes at a rate of more that 5F per hour can be detrimental. You will see this type of environment under the hood, but rarely under the cargo area.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:56 AM

You talk like someone forced to drive an inferior POS. You have a very nice care and should be proud to own it.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
Another advantage to having the battery in the rear of a vehicle is that it is not subjected to temp swings, which is one of the major issues with shortened battery life. Optimal battery temp for longevity is 77F, but temp changes at a rate of more that 5F per hour can be detrimental. You will see this type of environment under the hood, but rarely under the cargo area.
Sorry have to disagree with you greatly on the life issue with the battery. I do agree about the different environments between the hood and cargo but that is where is stops. I live in PA in the country so my car see a lot of dusty roads and environmental changes with huge temp swings some in the same day 50 degrees is not uncommon in one day. I have winters as cold as -5 to -10 on a week stretch and a month and a half ago we hit the 90's. My Honda had a battery with a bad cell in it I figured I would just run it until I NEEDED to get a new one.It made it through the winter and lasted right up until a buddy needed a battery to take his car to the junk yard... He gave me $5 and the battery is sitting there now. Battery technology has come so far in just the past 10 years the cargo area isn't a factor you could mount it on the roof if you wished and would have similar results.

The down side of the cargo area... Did ya ever have one of these things go dead? Try jumping it... Oh ya the back lift gate is ALL electric without a manual lock...hhhmm good thinkin GM don't you look like a fool when you have to run jumpers through the side door over the leather seats...
Old 05-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by steven&cat
You talk like someone forced to drive an inferior POS. You have a very nice care and should be proud to own it.

It is a beautiful ride on the outside (when I clean it because that is a filthy pic) I agree with you 100% The inside like I mentioned in another post is a design nightmare for the user. I have posted pics of what I finished last night at 3am much better clean look for me and got everything in there I wanted to without destroying the interior so I can easily put it back to stock in about 5 mins. My wife and I just really miss out Maxima. I paid 1500 less for it and when the insurance paid it off I got more out of it than what I owe on this now...? I just frustrates me. Storage is the main issue. The others are I had 265HP V-6 at my foot whenever I wanted it hooked to a 6 speed manual and I got 31MPG on the highway. I bought a 4 year newer car with a 4 cylinder getting overall less MPG. And to have the interior organization seemingly decades apart just was a disappointment that's all. We were spoiled in the Max and hoped for the same her.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Axleburg
Sorry have to disagree with you greatly on the life issue with the battery. I do agree about the different environments between the hood and cargo but that is where is stops. I live in PA in the country so my car see a lot of dusty roads and environmental changes with huge temp swings some in the same day 50 degrees is not uncommon in one day. I have winters as cold as -5 to -10 on a week stretch and a month and a half ago we hit the 90's. My Honda had a battery with a bad cell in it I figured I would just run it until I NEEDED to get a new one.It made it through the winter and lasted right up until a buddy needed a battery to take his car to the junk yard... He gave me $5 and the battery is sitting there now. Battery technology has come so far in just the past 10 years the cargo area isn't a factor you could mount it on the roof if you wished and would have similar results.

The down side of the cargo area... Did ya ever have one of these things go dead? Try jumping it... Oh ya the back lift gate is ALL electric without a manual lock...hhhmm good thinkin GM don't you look like a fool when you have to run jumpers through the side door over the leather seats...
There is a place under the hood to hook up jumpers. I had to use it when my battery failed.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Look mom no wires!!!

Look mom no wires.....very happy now.... Pics on profile I think it looks good opinions are welcome along with criticism.... I know I "ruined" the dash box in some people's eyes but lid closed it looks fine the only thing you see lid open are the 2 side holes I made for future accessories if I so wish to add them later.

Last edited by Axleburg; 05-15-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by steven&cat
There is a place under the hood to hook up jumpers. I had to use it when my battery failed.
I know about that... problem is a truly DEAD battery you have to leave them there for 15 mins... When you need to get to work sometime you don't have that kind of time to wait. The posts are only bolts so hooking up cables to them sucks for a good connection and all that back feed through the system kinda scares me... Oh and then after the jump....to everyone's joy the power steering fuse blows (very common complaint from what I've read) makes a better drive for work.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Look mom no wires.....very happy now.... Pics on profile i think it looks good opinions are welcome along with criticism.... I know i "ruined" the dash box but lid closed it looks fine.
The pics have been viewed a bunch of times... but no PM's or comments posted here... Not a very talkative group here huh? Like I said even if you hate it no big deal just let me know what you think? The dark pic is of the inside of the box AFTER work was complete to show that is still pretty much empty except for for the GSP wire running through it and with the rubber cover over the bottom whole it looks pretty good. The green wire hooked to the plug was to help pull it through the mess of bars and duct work. As I said before the only caution that needs to be taken is the passenger side front corner when cutting out the plastic panel under the box. The corner is raised because the wiring harness for the air bag is right underneath it so just cut around that square inch area. The cutting is 75% of the job. the rest is all on how you want to customize it for your needs. The 3 socket accessory unit that I used is one of the biggest I have seen. Just about anyone you buy should fit there. Also the GPS plug is one of the longest/biggest I have seen for an accessory so again anything you put there will most likely work and fit nicely.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

The pics have been viewed a bunch of times... but no PM's or comments posted here... Not a very talkative group here huh?
(snip)
Perhaps it's all your negativity...I haven't read one positive thing in your posts (unless I missed it?)....

I like the battery in back, adds a more few lbs over the light rear end..
& if you haven't figured out the easy way to get your rear hatch open. You haven't read the OM.

sleeper

Quick Reply: Can't beat 'em Join 'em