The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

A Clockwork Car.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:42 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my "to watch" list.

So is this movie weird on the David Lynch weirdness level or even farther out than that?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by teech
film is another form of art that it takes a special intelligence to appreciate
I agree! Film is my favorite form of art. I have never been much for Hollywood cinema. I like various indie, foreign, art, horror, and exploitation films. It's kind of cool that my wife an I have such a different taste in films. She likes Hollywood crap so I've already seen most of the films she likes but she is constantly getting introduced to new films through me. I love watching her reactions to my films. Nothing really phases me but her reactions are classic. I have some films that she can't even stomach watching like the August Underground movies. Then others leave her so confused I have to explain the entire film. That usually happens when films shot in an odd order like Irreversible or Elephant for example or if the film is subtitled. Then there are some that she'll just never understand no matter how much I explain like Begotten of Nacho Cerda's short films. She doesn't look too deep into the meanings and messages of films. I'm waiting to get Bad Boy Bubby in the mail so I can see her reaction to it. I love the film and it is truly a twisted classic. I want to see if she can make it through the first act to enjoy the rest of the film.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
HAHAHA! True. I have been on a Fulci kick lately. The master of gore, eye mutilation, odd zoom shots, and strange endings when you least expect. I am trying to track down the OOP Anchor Bay release of The New York Ripper in the first print red case. The cheapest I'm finding is like $100 still in wrap or like like $50-60 viewed.
I've been on an Italian Western foray lately, which crossed paths with Fulci as I watched Massacre Time recently.
Hey speaking of weird and Fulci, have you seen Conquest? I rent that one out occasionally.
Speaking of, I do have the red case NY Ripper for rent. Sold my last sale copy some years back. Funny, a lot of my DVDs are going up in value as they are out of print. Sharp thieves know this and steal them from me. Sometimes they steal the empty case which is out for their perusal. Other times they do not return the rental and have canceled their credit card so I have no recourse. By then they have also canceled their phone.

These days I have been requiring two credit cards and a local address. Still, lats month someone got me for over three hundred dollars in stolen rental DVDs. They canceled both their credit cards and their phone!

The worst #$%&^*er conned my help into selling him our Criterion Salo! I paid a bit over retail to get it shortly after it came out, but knew it was going up and kept it in rental so we could have a more complete collection of cool stuff for rent than any other shop ( we still do ). So this thievin mofo sweet talks my guy into selling it to him for $75.00. It was going for over $700.00 on ebay at the time and I WAS thinking about pulling it from rental as this was just getting stupid on the risk scale. My guy looked it up and saw it only rented a few times in the previous quarter and made the decision to sell it! I had a sticker right on it saying NOT FOR SALE!
He got the buyer's phone number, called the buyer and by then, the buyer had resold it for many hundreds of dollars! My mistake on that one
Trust is a hard thing to give.

I'm at home with my sick seven year old daughter today. She has a bucket near by if you catch my drift. Been up since noon yesterday.........
Old 01-16-2007, 02:59 PM

hey Harpo I love those spagetti westerns!! like my name is trinity and my name is nobody those are great!!! I also am a fan of the horror films and twisted stuff!! I am not a number!! I will yell that out at work some times just to see what people say or to see who else is into the weird stuff i like LOL!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black Rose
I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my "to watch" list.

So is this movie weird on the David Lynch weirdness level or even farther out than that?
It's not really that odd, nowhere near Lynch. It's that most people don't look below the surface of the film. I think mainly because it is set in a fictitious future to comment on the effects of society at the time (set in 1995 from a 1965 perspective). The same messages still apply today. Also most people are turned off by the senseless random acts of violence but that's the point. The main charcter Alex is a 15 year old sociopath with a small group of lower inteligence thugs that will do as he likes. Malcolm McDowell definitely doesn't look 15 though.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolfreak
hey Harpo I love those spagetti westerns!! like my name is trinity and my name is nobody those are great!!! I also am a fan of the horror films and twisted stuff!! I am not a number!! I will yell that out at work some times just to see what people say or to see who else is into the weird stuff i like LOL!!!
Cool! THe Morter Merrier as some like to say!

Hey, when they get tired of you saying "I'm not a number"
start using Alex's number from Clockwork 655321
Old 01-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

WOW that sucks Harpozep. I can't believe how much some Criterions go for. Some old Anchor Bays are starting to get up there too. If it's any consolation I heard Criterion is supposed to re-release Salo in high definition sometime soon. HiDef sh*t eating! :twothumbs
Old 01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Banned

Spaghetti westerns are awesome. Sergio Leone is my all time favorite spaghetti western director but I think he's everyone’s favorite spaghetti western director. You can't top the master.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:35 PM

Im a hollywood movie buff, but I'm interested in more independent projects...those seem to be the ones that I'll actually watch and get into

Problem is...I don't know where to start!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by teech
Im a hollywood movie buff, but I'm interested in more independent projects...those seem to be the ones that I'll actually watch and get into

Problem is...I don't know where to start!
What type of Hollywood films are you into? There are some directors that cross back and forth between mainstream Hollywood and indie cinema so they usually serve as a good starting point because their films are easily accessible at places like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. Directors like Gus Van Sant. I'm sure you've probably seen his Hollywood work like Good Will Hunting or Finding Forrester. If you liked his work you can go back and check out some of his old indies like Drugstore Cowboy and My Own Private Idaho or check out his return to indies like Elephant and Last Days.