The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

"Clunkers" Program gone???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by SSguy

I have antique bikes & don't want Our Prez to try & get all the old classic antiques off the road..
Cars only and they have to be less then 25yrs old, so antiques are safe (at least this time around)
They also have to be in running condition, and you must show proof of registration, insurance and ownership for at least the past year.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Sno White
Just for us ignorant folk, how do you destroy an engine with sodium silicate?
It's liquid glass. You replace the oil with it, when it reaches a certain temp it turns to a solid and the engine seizes.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 AM

Yeah, my truck would have been safe regaurdless this time, but trucks a year newer aren't... Luckily there are quite a few of them in junk yards already for parts...

My grandparents traded in their 1996 Explorer, in great condition with only 90,000 miles, but she wouldn't trade it in as a clunker because she couldn't bear the fact that it would be crushed. Honestly, I don't think I could do that either... I love my cars too much!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 PM

I sold my 00 Kia Sportage 2wd to the gov under the clunker program to buy my 09 HHR LS I bought the Kia new and kept it in good shape, it only has about 69,000 orig miles and still ran great however I knew it was the right time to get rid of it. I might have been lucky to get $2500 for it if I was to sell it outright. Plus, I stripped some parts off of it and sold some to someone who was looking for Kia Sportage parts on Craigslist!! So I'm still making money off the Kia...hey, the only stipulation is that the car was driveable when turned in, right?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Pretty sad when the government can't handle something as simple as trading in a vehicle. I've heard horror stories from all over of deals getting cancelled because the government denied the applications, and on Friday there were dealerships actually making buyers sign a form that stated they'd give back their new cars if the government failed to fund the dealership for the deal.

And these are the geniuses that want to run healthcare?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
It's liquid glass. You replace the oil with it, when it reaches a certain temp it turns to a solid and the engine seizes.
I would like to see this. does it solidify slowly or does it just lock it up instantly once it reaches temp?

Not that I am sticking up for the Government. (imho) most are getting turned down because people aren't handing in the proper records, although it is up to the dealership to verify all documentation. Originally there was supposed to be an up to 10 delay from when the dealer submits the paperwork before you could take ownership. don't know if that still applies. No transfer of title is allowed (you can't bring in Uncle Teds beater or a recently bought junker and use it as yours)

Again, I sold my truck for 4500 which is the same I would have gotten towards my SS through the program-- with none of the hassle
Old 08-02-2009, 02:31 PM

That is the problem, people are not properly researching the information which is pretty clear on their website. I read the elgibility requirements and made sure my car qualified before even stepping into the dealerships. I already knew that I qualified and what I was going to get as far as rebate.
I saw some people on the news last night that said that they drove 3hrs to a dealership to get the car they wanted only to find out their clunker didn't qualify! I thought to myself, that is pretty stupid of them not to check on that beforehand. I didn't feel much symphany for them.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:43 PM

I couldn't agree with you more, I have no sympathy. It is all explained pretty well on the website and has been for a little over a month. and believe it or not they have been pretty good at constantly updating it. when i was considering it I made sure if I qualified, and for what. problem was a month ago the dealerships knew very little and I felt as if I was explaining it to them, even gave a few the website. was met with a lot of "well, when it gets signed in, you come back and see us" even though it already was.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Smile CARS Rebate

OK, if it were not for this CARS Rebate I would not be driving around in a new HHR SS right now.
I traded in a 1996 GMC Jimmy with 130,000 miles on it. Because of the 12MPG it was getting it sat here most of the time. I would use the 06 HHR more.
I started my deal on July 7th with the dealer. I picked up the SS on Friday July 30th. All paper work was done as per the goverments rules. Then on the 24th rules were updated. My dealer had 29 Clunker deals writen already. 7 of those were denied because of one reason or another ??

I was trying to sell the Jimmy for the past 8 months with only one offer of $800. Why on earth would I not want to get a new SS. After all the rebates were deducted and my GM points on the card I got almost $10,000 off the deal.
I was told the Jimmy would under go the glass additive treatment to render the motor useless. But the rest of the parts are going to a local yard that has bid on it. Of that $200 the dealer will keep $50 for going thru killing the motor. I will then get the remaning $150 in a check next week. Now on the Jimmy, I R&Red the almost new tires and sold them for $200. I kept the trailer hitch, wiper blade ( new), jack & tools, I also removed the radio & speakers. We had a Garage Sale here this weekend and all but the jack are gone...........
The salvage yard can and will sell parts off the Jimmy, but in no way sell the whole unit so that the motor can be replaced and driven again. Like it has been stated the VIN # is frozen so it can not be used again.

My MOTHER did not raise a fool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WNYHHR NUT
Brian:stee ring:
Old 08-02-2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by rjdakota
Pretty sad when the government can't handle something as simple as trading in a vehicle. I've heard horror stories from all over of deals getting cancelled because the government denied the applications, and on Friday there were dealerships actually making buyers sign a form that stated they'd give back their new cars if the government failed to fund the dealership for the deal.

And these are the geniuses that want to run healthcare?

I just love it when people have to bring up healthcare when it doesn't even apply to anything anyone is talking about!!!!

Quick Reply: "Clunkers" Program gone???