The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Cruise in Shows opening up

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 2manyvans
I love Rat Trucks, Thanks for putting these on. The B Model sure has a classic design. And the Cornbinder has one heck of a frame to hold up the monster V-8 Detroit 2 cycle diesel. Wow ...john
John- 1st dump truck I drove was a single axle B model as a kid, it had the "quad-box" once I learned to split shift gears, I thought I was it man.. LOL I love their classic lines. kinda like a 32 Ford.

What I got a kick outta was no air filters on the IH turbo, but agee that frame is super stout. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOVJ...vrGIRvLC1KIqdQ\

here's my all time favorite rat truck [ not really a rat] V-12 Detroit two 6-71 blowers on top. What we used to call a Buzzin' Dozen or a double breasted Yamaha ( because it's a Two cycle engine}....john
That is super cool, I remember seeing it. Awesome piece of work.. Thanks for the link. Jay has all the coolest toys.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Not from the show, but some nice "B" models.

Killer

Twin Screw "B"

1956 Mack B-71

Old 07-23-2020, 05:35 AM

What beauties ! Think of the time it takes to get these ready for show.

Nothing like the bone-shakers we drove in the 70's. No power steering- just a gigantic 22" steering wheel. No air conditioning No fancy carpet or door panels. Just a worn out rubber floor mat and green cardboard headliner.

No big chrome stacks, only a rusty 4" straight pipe. Bet you remember putting your arm through the steering wheel shifting the two non-syncronized trannies.

The best was the excitement you got when you turned the key and pushed the started button and the big noisy diesel came to life every morning. You didn't dare shut if off during the day with fear that it wouldn't restart.

No C.B. radios only flashing your lights and hand signals to warn or greet other drivers. In the summer I remember the bigger drivers had a dirty streak across their bellies where the steering wheel rubbed on it all day.

Oh ,the good ole day's of trucking. I would'nt have missed them for nothing....john
Old 07-23-2020, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

What beauties ! I agree 100% John. Think of the time it takes to get these ready for show. Indeed, but look at the end product..Awesome..

Nothing like the bone-shakers we drove in the 70's. I know it. No power steering- just a gigantic 22" steering wheel. I remember an early Mack having Air assist power steering. when you yank on the 22" wheel it would let out bursts of air repeatedly.. Didn't work too well compared to today's rigs. No air conditioning No fancy carpet or door panels. Just a worn out rubber floor mat and green cardboard headliner. Yep, bare bones.

No big chrome stacks, Nope, not at all. only a rusty 4" straight pipe. Yep, so true. Bet you remember putting your arm through the steering wheel shifting the two non-syncronized trannies. Yes I certainly do, & have thought of that here & there, & once I mastered it, it was like a thing of beauty. I never used the clutch, except to get in gear at a complete stop. Then you just rhythm shifted up or down the ladder of gears. No if you were fortunate enough to have a "Jake" or "Dynatard", you could shift even quicker. LOL

The best was the excitement you got when you turned the key and pushed the started button and the big noisy diesel came to life every morning. Yes & felt relief. You didn't dare shut if off during the day with fear that it wouldn't restart. That is for sure. I remember trucking in & out of a Steel Mill as a kid, & since those old Macks didn't have Maxi-brakes (yet), if one started, it could bump start any others....

No C.B. radios only flashing your lights and hand signals to warn or greet other drivers. That was it. In the summer I remember the bigger drivers had a dirty streak across their bellies where the steering wheel rubbed on it all day. Yes I remember seeing that too.

Oh ,the good ole day's of trucking. Albeit primitive by today's standards, I loved it. I would'nt have missed them for nothing Neither would I, good times.....john

Sweet ole B model

R model (slightly modified)

Newer Mack (hate to have to buy tires for this one).

2018 Mack Granite 64B Daycab Dump Truck. My how times have changed..
Old 07-24-2020, 01:38 AM

We have alot of nice 7 axle dumps running up here .Mostly hauling limestone to gas well pads and blacktop jobs. That black Granite looks like one up here only his is a metallic grey. He polishes the bed every weekend. armouralls the tires constantly. Looks show quality . That flamed R Model is really different...john
Old 07-24-2020, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

We have alot of nice 7 axle dumps running up here. Cool, they are huge. Mostly hauling limestone to gas well pads and blacktop jobs. Get lots of black top in one of those. Don't know what the Gross weight (GVWR) would be ? That black Granite looks like one up here only his is a metallic grey. Sharp machine, no doubt. He polishes the bed every weekend. armouralls the tires constantly. Looks show quality . That is cool, I used to wheel a Brockway w/Cat power - tri-axle, & I used to polish the bed also.. That flamed R Model is really different Agreed... It is too loud for me.. But lots of time & $$ went into it. ...john

2016 western star 4900SF 7 axle dump truck... I 'thought' saw an 8 axle Pete last night, now can't find it.. Still a lot of tag axles & extra brakes. Besides the engine brake.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Cruise in show was great today. Next to me was a black '57 Bel-Air from N.C. Some rides from Ga. as well..

Good time seems to have been had by all. Late day the rains came as predicted. But that was fine too.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

Been driving my HHR to the local cruise spot lately, since it's so hot here. While there I usually shoot a video with my iPhone. My car appears towards the end.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Great vid, I see your Silver HHR. So many cool rides..
Old 07-30-2020, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by sleeper
Great vid, I see your Silver HHR. So many cool rides..
Thanks. I'll try to shoot another this weekend. Saturday is forecasted to be 115*.

Quick Reply: Cruise in Shows opening up