The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Cutting up....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Nice trimmer.
Yes, I would let it run to operating temps ( sometimes drive around the property if it wasn't muddy or snow/ice ) Cub recommends the first oil change at 5 hours so I will get the oil/filter on hand and ready. Being I got the premixed for the Redmax to get the 4 yr warranty Im going to use it with my backpack blower as well , since they are the same ratio.

My backpack blower was a steal... Not Stihl...LOL I stole it ! and here is the story on that:
I was looking for the best mph wind speed or the most powerful cfm and Poulan Pro was the one at $250. Well come to find out it was discontinued??? So, while I was at Lowes one day I thought Id just hop down the aisle and check out the blowers they had... What is this?? Yup ! They had a Poulan Pro, the discontinued model on display marked down to $89 WOW so I started looking for it, Nothing anywhere? so I asked the associate and they said they showed one in stock but couldn't find it, maybe the display was that one? Anyways I asked if I could buy the display and after talking to their supervisor $60 OH YEAH !!! now, they couldn't find any of the tubes ( 3 sections and nozzle ) couldn't find the box in back, nothing... so I figured hell, Ill make some with PVC pipes LOL So they spoke to the supervisor again and I walked with it for $40. I got home and called Poulan Pro ( no longer Poulan Pro, they were bought out by Husqvarna ) they took the serial number and all and I explained the purchase, they sent me everything needed to complete it....Free ! Best deal Ive ever landed so far ( so now I keep an eye out for discontinues display models )
Old 05-05-2020, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bonez
Nice trimmer. Thanks man, it is a Blaster. Solid drive shaft, I love that. So easy on fuel/mix as well.

Did you have a curved shaft trimmer before your Redmax ? Those curved shaft trimmers spin the head Clock-wise, & straight shafts spin the head the opposite: CCW.
I have the "Speed-Feed 400 head on mine.

Yes, I would let it run to operating temps ( sometimes drive around the property if it wasn't muddy or snow/ice ) Cool Beans. Cub recommends the first oil change at 5 hours so I will get the oil/filter on hand and ready. 2 qts is all I need w/filter for mine.
Interesting how the same exact Kawasaki engine has different early oil change recommendations. It is the mower maker that dictates this. Important thing is to get it done as per your OM.

Being I got the premixed for the Redmax to get the 4 yr warranty Good move on your part !!, you need the pre-mix anyhow. Unless you later go to the 2.6 oz bottles for a 1 gallon gas mix. Im going to use it with my backpack blower as well , since they are the same ratio. Cool, same thing I do, use it in my blower & trimmer. I mix a gallon beginning of the year, I like using 2.6 oz of Red ArmorŽ oil. & if I'm gonna run short, I grab a qt of pre-mix anywhere local. Cause I like my gas cans to be empty at end of mow season.

My backpack blower was a steal... Not Stihl...LOL I stole it ! and here is the story on that: OK, sounds intriguing.
I was looking for the best mph wind speed or the most powerful cfm and Poulan Pro was the one at $250. Pricey, I know. Well come to find out it was discontinued??? That sounds good from a buyer perspective. So, while I was at Lowes one day I thought Id just hop down the aisle and check out the blowers they had... What is this?? Yup ! They had a Poulan Pro, the discontinued model on display marked down to $89 WOW. so I started looking for it, Nothing anywhere? so I asked the associate and they said they showed one in stock but couldn't find it, maybe the display was that one? Maybe so. Anyways I asked if I could buy the display and after talking to their supervisor $60 OH YEAH !!! now, they couldn't find any of the tubes ( 3 sections and nozzle ) couldn't find the box in back, nothing... so I figured hell, Ill make some with PVC pipes LOL So they spoke to the supervisor again and I walked with it for $40. You're right, you stole that baby. Very Cool.. I got home and called Poulan Pro ( no longer Poulan Pro, they were bought out by Husqvarna ) I had heard that. they took the serial number and all and I explained the purchase, they sent me everything needed to complete it....Free ! EXCELLENT. Best deal Ive ever landed so far ( so now I keep an eye out for discontinues display models ) Great (steal) I mean deal, Thanks for telling all the details. Awesome.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:36 PM

Yes my Redmax has the solid shaft too, not sure about what type of head is on it but it spins CCW looking at it while operating, has a hellova cutting path, didn't bog one bit either ( yes I cut the grass tonight ) I trimmed everything then pulled the beast out of the garage and went to town ( 2 acres ) First time Ive ever been on a ZT and took a bit to get used too, I started around the house on the multi sloped yard SLOWLY and CHOPPY lol, but by time I got down to the level I was cruising ( should have started there first and worked up, by then I felt like a pro...LOL ) It barely squeezed through the back gate ( maybe 1/2" on each side of the deck ) But my grass was 12" tall if not more and this machine knocked it down to 4" in one path with little effort if any at all and that was cruising nearly full speed on the flat and I didn't see any stranglers either. Im happy with it and the most comfortable ride ever. When I cut with my JD rider it beat the hell out of my back where I could hardly walk after 2 hours of cutting. The Cubs seat is super comfy and I was done in an hour at most with the new beast !

Old 05-05-2020, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Yes my Redmax has the solid shaft too, I like that best. Last trimmer had a cable, didn't have that good feel imo. not sure about what type of head is on it but it spins CCW looking at it while operating, Yep as all straight shafts do. has a hellova cutting path, Cool, Does it have a bump-feed head ? didn't bog one bit either Sounds good to me. ( yes I cut the grass tonight ) Was thinking it would not be long before you mowed. LOL I trimmed everything then pulled the beast out of the garage and went to town ( 2 acres ) Cool, looks like your lawn was ready for you. Nice spread you have there.

First time Ive ever been on a ZT and took a bit to get used too, It puts the fun back into mowing. I started around the house on the multi sloped yard SLOWLY and CHOPPY lol, No biggie, it will grow back. but by time I got down to the level I was cruising There ya go. ( should have started there first and worked up, by then I felt like a pro...LOL ) I hear that. It barely squeezed through the back gate ( maybe 1/2" on each side of the deck ) But it fits, that 54" would never go thru. But my grass was 12" tall if not more and this machine knocked it down to 4" in one path with little effort if any at all "Kawasaki power, Torque Monster" and that was cruising nearly full speed on the flat and I didn't see any stranglers either. Cool, not supposed to either. Im happy with it Main thing. and the most comfortable ride ever. That's a big plus. When I cut with my JD rider it beat the hell out of my back where I could hardly walk after 2 hours of cutting. That's no fun, been there. The Cubs seat is super comfy and I was done in an hour at most with the new beast ! Sounds like you cut your mow time in half.
Awesome, & welcome to "Z Nation" man !!

My Toro I ordered with the extra tall suspension seat. Almost 6 years ago, but still love it. And I never start my mowers ( Push mow, or my Z ) before I check the oil level. ( just sayin.)
👍
Old 05-05-2020, 11:34 PM

👍
Yes sir ! That oil is a killer ( pun intended )
I was really impressed, they delivered it with a full tank of gas in both the mower and the trimmer ! All fluids are full + a tad more.
Back to an earlier question, yes straight shaft, I never liked curved shafts and haven't owned or used a curved shaft since the early 80s, never liked the feel nor did they ever get where you needed to cut. My Redmax is actually one of the longest shafts as well , I really like the reach to get under bushes and the thorny crap surrounding the property. I should have gotten a Z years ago but kept pushing it off until now since we moved here with the larger yard and Yes, it cut my mowing time in half … and still I was enjoying cutting, making stripes LOL
Old 05-06-2020, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Yes sir ! That oil is a killer ( pun intended ) Or lack there of certainly can be.
I was really impressed, they delivered it with a full tank of gas in both the mower and the trimmer ! All fluids are full + a tad more. Cool, that's how I got my Z, doesn't hurt that I know the guys out there.
Back to an earlier question, yes straight shaft, Only way to go. I never liked curved shafts and haven't owned or used a curved shaft since the early 80s, I hear ya, I had one long ago also.

I'm a "Leftie" so I stand on other side as most do to do my wacking / edging etc.
never liked the feel nor did they ever get where you needed to cut. Agreed 100% My Redmax is actually one of the longest shafts as well , Stihl makes some that are about 7 foot long, for commercial use.. I really like the reach to get under bushes and the thorny crap surrounding the property. Same with mine. Lots of easy reach. I should have gotten a Z years ago but kept pushing it off until now You got it, that's the main thing. since we moved here with the larger yard and Yes, it cut my mowing time in half … That's the beauty of it. and still I was enjoying cutting, making stripes LOL I know the feeling, I get done, then I get my Blower out & blow it off in all the tight spots. Since I wax mine every winter. After blowing it off I use a California duster to get it nice & shiny easily again. I spend more time cleaning than mowing, not really, but I do like my stuff clean. LOL Nice to have good equipment.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:21 PM

Today I went out just to drive the mower a bit to get used to it... noticed the handles weren't even, so I started adjusting them for comfort and they just wouldn't line up for neutral ? Nothing in the manual and no matter where I set it, one or the other was off about an inch?
So, I took a trip out to the dealer as I had some questions anyway, for starters the first oil change should be done at 10-15 hours
Next, the uneven handles... just push real hard and bend it LOL well apparently the screws holding the bars to the adjustable brackets needed a little tightening but also the teeth sometimes don't match up and the bars need to be bent a bit... ah, got it all lines up now ! stops are adjusted and the lap bars are evened up, tracks straight as an arrow with no creeping. I am extremely happy with this purchase and funny it costs a tad more than the HHR...lol

So now, how do we customize these things?

Old 05-06-2020, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Today I went out just to drive the mower a bit to get used to it...Always fun. noticed the handles weren't even, so I started adjusting them for comfort Oh yes, I have mine set so I can lay back & blast. and they just wouldn't line up for neutral ? Nothing in the manual and no matter where I set it, one or the other was off about an inch? Not familiar with your Cub, the engine, yes.
So, I took a trip out to the dealer as I had some questions anyway, for starters the first oil change should be done at 10-15 hours I would do it by 10 hours at the most. You should have gotten a Kawasaki manual exclusive for that engine. In addition to the Cub OM.
Next, the uneven handles... just push real hard and bend it LOL well apparently the screws holding the bars to the adjustable brackets needed a little tightening but also the teeth sometimes don't match up and the bars need to be bent a bit...That's different than my lap- bars. ah, got it all lines up now ! stops are adjusted and the lap bars are evened up, tracks straight as an arrow with no creeping. Cool. I am extremely happy with this purchase and funny it costs a tad more than the HHR...lol Well, I have no comment there.

I like that my Toro has 2 different speed ranges. low to tow, & hi to mow. The newer Toros have 3 different speed settings. 2 is plenty for me.

So now, how do we customize these things? That pic is a great way to go. LOL That is wild.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:05 PM

Yes, I did get a manual on the motor ( just haven't read it all yet ) since I have 3 ( The owners manual for the Z, and the engine manual as well as the operators manual for the Redmax )
you asked about the head and it is a bump feed but different than any Ive ever had. Ive had the bump feed where you wind 2 different strands and even single string. This one pops apart and there is a center spool that pops out ( 3 pieces) but uses 1 string at 20 feet long folded then hooked and wound similar to the double string spool, its odd but works. BUT I am going to check into and see if they have one for this where you put the string in and twist the head to wind it ? would be so much better.

After mowing I blew everything off, got some mud on the tires so I may have to wash it and get some tire shine...LOL what I am already debating is how to add a stereo system on here.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, I did get a manual on the motor ( just haven't read it all yet ) Good, that is the book I follow for the engine. Who knows it better than the maker. since I have 3 ( The owners manual for the Z, and the engine manual as well as the operators manual for the Redmax ) Good to have them all.
you asked about the head and it is a bump feed but different than any Ive ever had. Really ? Ive had the bump feed where you wind 2 different strands and even single string. This one pops apart and there is a center spool that pops out ( 3 pieces) but uses 1 string at 20 feet long folded then hooked and wound similar to the double string spool, its odd but works. Wow ! BUT I am going to check into and see if they have one for this where you put the string in and twist the head to wind it ? would be so much better. That describes the "Speed-Feed 400" head I have, so simple. My Neighbor added one on his Stihl after he saw me reload in less that 60 seconds. It is a Echo patented head, but they make them for other models.

After mowing I blew everything off, They do need a blow off when done imo,. got some mud on the tires so I may have to wash it and get some tire shine...LOL Yes you better get some.. LOL what I am already debating is how to add a stereo system on here. Get headphones that play music, it quiets things except yer tunes..

Quick Reply: Cutting up....