The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

desktop computer help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

desktop computer help

any IT people on here??

I have a similar motherboard as this:

the new computer doesnt come with a phone line jack..only a LAN jack. I still need a phone line jack so I thought maybe i can swap the one from the computer being replaced and put it in the new one, but the new one doesnt have any slots that support it. tThe only free slot is the SINGLE LONG port. But the teeth dont match up.

So i am wondering what are my options? Is there an adapter? or a "newer" style one i can put in?

thanks
Old 01-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure what you are looking for, so I will take a guess......... a phone jack on a M/B is not just a phone jack (you can plug a phone into it, but that won't get you much at all). I am guessing what you are looking for is a fax/modem????

Mentioning the Make/MODEL of the M/B would also help. :)

ie: usb based - USRobotics 5637 56K USB External Faxmodem at Memory Express - perhaps this is what you are looking for??
pci-e card based - StarTech Internal PCI Express V.92 56K Data Fax Modem - PCIe Dial Up Modem at Memory Express but you probably don't have any available slots that match to pci-e

Am I aiming in the right direction?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:35 PM

Yeah a fax modem is usually usb or pci-e x1 now, those are the two short connectors in that picture, but you can also put it in the long pci-e x16 slot if that's all you have available.
sounds the old one you have is pci which may not work on a new computer.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:17 AM
Technical Moderator

Time machine!
Old 01-02-2015, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

I know its an ASUS M32 or somthing like that - just a quick upgrade to use strictly as a workhorse computer.

and yes whopper + prod that is what i am talking about..it was kind of hard to explain but you guys caught on to what i was trying to say haha

yes I guess i have an older style pci (new lingo for me) so I would have to get a "pci-e" which i believe is the newer style.

do you guys have any experience with the usb styled ones? wonder if they work just as good as the pci ones.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:30 AM
Technical Moderator

If you can find a modem anymore, one sort should be as good as the next.

Depends on what you mean by "good". Very few people connect to the internet on slow lines, I'm not sure if I could find a provider anymore. I know I don't have the patience to wait for web pages to load anymore.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:32 AM
Technical Moderator

You should have seen the guys in the auto parts store trying to plug phones into the lan.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by donbrew
You should have seen the guys in the auto parts store trying to plug phones into the lan.
omg, I can't even.

In other news, why not get a new computer and transfer files?

You can get a decent computer for being used just for work, for not a lot of money.... and you wouldn't have to worry about ripping apart a computer
Old 01-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

The USB-based ones work just fine - and have the added versatility of being portable between machines (desktops and laptops). Faxes have kind of gone out of style, but sometimes are still handy. I leave a pc here setup with a modem for fax usage, plus a lot of all-in-one printers come with that capability (and we have one especially for that use).
Old 01-02-2015, 09:11 AM

I'm guessing he needs to be able to send faxes from his computer. For that, I would recommend an external USB-type modem, like whopper just said.

I tried to do this a while back, but quickly realized that since I have VoIP for my home phone now, it's nearly impossible. I end up going to Staples a couple times a year now instead...

Quick Reply: desktop computer help