The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

desktop computer help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
I'm guessing he needs to be able to send faxes from his computer. For that, I would recommend an external USB-type modem, like whopper just said.

I tried to do this a while back, but quickly realized that since I have VoIP for my home phone now, it's nearly impossible. I end up going to Staples a couple times a year now instead...
There are internet solutions to faxing. If you have an internet connection you CAN fax.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:08 AM

I keep a dialup account for backup and to keep the same email address I've had for 25 years.
There are online fax service websites so you don't really need a fax modem anymore. You'd be surprised though the number of businesses that still rely on them.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:49 PM

Seems like a wireless router could be used, networked with a fax/scanner printer on the line. Use a usb netgear wireless stick on the pc. I may be over thinking...yawn.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by 2oodoor
Seems like a wireless router could be used, networked with a fax/scanner printer on the line. Use a usb netgear wireless stick on the pc. I may be over thinking...yawn.
A wireless router on a dialup internet?

Sleepy?

But, I have recently been wrestling with my step daughter on pretty much the same lines.
She has an air card for her laptop because she lives in "no broadband" country. She has a nice wireless all-in-one printer I got her for Christmas. Her husband wants to print photos from his phone.

They are both "technophobes", they are scared of everything internet/computer etc. He won't admit that his smart phone uses the internet to get to FaceBook. No eMail, save FaceBook (that is not the internet).

I got them to use the printer app! First I tried to explain hotspots (fail). She did finally get the printer to connect to the air card. Then I remembered I do have an old wireless router that can be used as a repeater/hotspot or a plain network switch. Piling money on top of parts to make a Rube Goldberg network.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:26 PM

Yes but zzzz ...still a 802.xxx blah blah signal generater for them to "see" the "intranet" networked devices in the area ?
Bluetooth " who's this Bluetooth and what color'rer the resto his teef, I dont know him"
No email, thats off the grid fer shure im going to bed befor lil Abner starts shootin
This stuff can get even trained certified IT pros ( thats not me but I do know enough to work) to overthinking to the point of underthought, Speshully on mondays lol
Old 01-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Technical Moderator

They actually live in the middle of a farm field, you could say corn ,barley, soy, whatever is currently planted in it. He is the farm hand with free home and utilities. The house is literally too far from any other building to have a cable run to it.

In VA lots of people are scared of the internet, just the other day a guy called the store to complain about his account, he would not give his credit card info even though it was him that called a known clerk.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:07 AM

That sounds like a nice place though. I have to empathize about the credit card thing because it can be un nerving when you're hackerd. I had my state issued visa breeched several times, it was stiffled quickly but the crooks used it to buy automotive type items which freaked me out since thats what we used it for
News this am is a good example of technology traps and over & under thought....fingerprint scanners easily breeched, all is needed is a hi res photo of your fingers to make a print mold!

On topic, you can find nice state of the art wirless fax printer scanners at goodwill, salvation army, flea markets and such, for super cheep. The printer may not work for whatever reason but if the firmware/software allows it, the other functions should work fine.