The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Detroit - Abandoned Michigan Central Train Station

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Detroit - Abandoned Michigan Central Train Station

So I'm sure many of you in the Detroit area know the old abandoned Michigan Central train station. For those of you who don't know of it, it's an abandoned 18 story train station, built in 1913, and was the tallest train station in the world when it was built. Many of the upper floors were never used, in fact some were never even finished. The last train left the station in 1988, and it has sat vacant ever since. Some of you may recognize this from the movie Transformers, which it was used in. Eminem did a music video in this station not that long ago.

Anyways, a friend and I went into it on Wednesday and took pictures. There are too many for me to load onto this site, but please check them out on my Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebrow/s...7624011685826/

Can't believe how magnificent that place really is. It's such a shame to see it the way it is. Wish they could come up with something to do with it and fix it up. I've wanted to go inside here for pictures for years now, and am so glad that I finally had the chance to. Made it all the way to the roof, without any incidents! Didn't even see anyone else in the entire building!

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 05-07-2010, 04:01 PM

We used to build some amazing buildings here but now we tend to knock them down or leave them to rot........ If there is a "restoration" planned usually all the original details, windows, rock and woodwork get ripped out. Pity

I'll be going through your pics shortly, I love old stuff (probably because I'm getting there myself)

EDIT: Really nice shots man and it was an amazing building, shame it's going to waste like that (Oh and one of the graffiti guys can't spell a very common 4 letter word ....... lol)
Old 05-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
So It's such a shame to see it the way it is. Wish they could come up with something to do with it and fix it up.
The city leaders need to visit St. Louis and see what they did with their train station.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Very cool! How did you get in? People are stopping out front to take pictures everytime I drive by.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Nice work, "Kid". It brings back many memories (I was born in Detroit and lived there for 24 years). When I was small, my family traveled by train or bus. I had boarded trains many times at this station to visit relatives on the East Coast. I remember running up and down the main concourse and bouncing echos from the walls. Additionally, I had an aunt who's boyfriend worked at some capacity here. I remember visiting an office on one of the upper floors.

By the way, there should be some type of basement, if I remember correctly.

I am quite surprised you had no trouble while there. The neighborhood had declined to a point where it was filled with a people who drank cheap and "home made" product, used drugs extensively, was occupied by the homeless and had a high criminal content.

In any event, glad you and your lady (I'm guessing) made it out OK.....and If you do not mind, I would like to provide your link for other relatives to view.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:45 PM

awesome pics
Old 05-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Love old buildings. But looking at all those pics,,fuels my flaming hatred for taggers..
Old 05-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Always thought that place was cool never really got close to it... there are tons of awesome buildings down there... cant believe you got in too... figured that place was boarded tight glad everything went well and your made it out safely! i have been down near jefferson near DELRAY and its not the safest place to be then again tiger stadium (original) looks creepy now too hahahaha

Love the pics man! next time find a entrance way that will fit the hhr in and get some shots! hahaha keep up the good work
Old 05-07-2010, 06:19 PM

Thanks everyone! Glad you liked the pictures! I don't want to post on the web how to get in, because I would be afraid that someone would see it and board it up or something. Send me a PM if you want to know. Really easy to get in though. People don't live in it as much as they used to since there isn't a single window left, the wind comes in so it's the same temperature as outside. Maybe when it's really hot it would be cooler, I don't know.

And yes, there is a basement. Nothing really special down there. The first and last picture I took were in the basement.

Glad you guys liked the shots!
Old 05-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Nice job. You really captured the essence of that place.

Quick Reply: Detroit - Abandoned Michigan Central Train Station