The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Ford Ranger 2000 4.0L Auto - Took me for a ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Ford Ranger 2000 4.0L Auto - Took me for a ride

Over the years I have been rather skeptical of the reports of "unintended acceleration" that have hit the media - until today.

this afternoon, I fired up my brothers 2000 Ranger, had my foot lightly on the brake, it was idling nicely, and shifted the automatic from park to Drive - man it lit up the tires immediately as the engine red-lined, and shot me forward out of the parking spot, sliding the rear end hard to the right (which actually helped as I needed to turn left to exit the parking lot) - it threw me right back in the seat struggling to get heavy on the brakes - managed to shift it into neutral, and kill the ignition.

By the time I got it stopped, it had travelled a good 3+ truck lengths, and somehow I managed to miss the back end of one car parked across the parking lot, stopping short of t-boning a second car that was parked a few slots away.

A bit of history:

- A few months ago the local ford dealer returned the truck to my brother after they had done the minor service to it, with a bent passengers front fender bumper/headlight. Whoops, sorry about that but we had a small problem and ran it into a wall, but we will fix it up as good as new for you N/C - oh and BTW we replaced the throttle cable, and of course there will be no charge for the service we did today (oil/filter/antifreeze). And they did repair the damage afterwards. hummmmm replaced the throttle cable?

- My brother said it had happened once before to him years back, and luckily he managed to get it stopped without any damage.

Sounds like I'll be on the phone to Ford Canada tomorrow about this.

Anyone else on the forum have a similar issue with their Ranger/Mazda pick-up, or other vehicle for that matter?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:29 AM
Deceased

Jeepers my friend! That was a close call, too close if you ask me.

I've not heard of the 4 Litre Ford/Mazda trucks doing that, but I did have a similar incident(actually three incidents) with my long gone '93 S-10 Blazer with the 4.3L Vortec V-6.

The wiring harness had become undone from its locating clamps and the bellhousing eventually cut into it.

Under the "right" circumstances, the wiring harness shorted out causing the cruise control servo to apply wide open throttle.

The first time it happened, I did a impromptu impersonation of Don Garlits in downtown Salisbury, how I missed the people in the crosswalk and parked cars as that 2wd Blazer wagged its tail from side to side..I'll never know.

So the first place I'd have them check is for a pinched wiring harness.

Just glad you're OK Tom.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Glad you're OK!