The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Gas Prices?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
Couldn't agree more! We're heading back to the $3.00 a gallon area by Summer no matter what the Government says or does. It's all about pure greed on the part of the big oil companies!!
How true but............................................... .............................
I doubt that we will have to wait for summer to get here! We have gone from $2.32 to $2.69 in 3 1/2 weeks!!!!!!!!!
That s**ks
Old 03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
Lets look at some of the reasons for rising gas prices.

1st have you ever noticed how much gas is taxed? The federal, state and local govts. are making much more than the oil companies on a gallon of gas. Around here taxes make up around 40% of the price we pay. If anyone is getting rich off the backs of drivers, it's the govt.

2nd every spring the refineries have to shut down production to switch to a summer blend. Refineries are already running at 100% capacity just to keep up with demand, so any interuption in production affects supply. Thank you EPA.

3rd Gas can not be shared between regions becouse there are different blends of fuel we use in this country. Over 40 of them, which means if one area has a surplus, and another has a shortage, they can not be shared. Again thank you EPA.

4th we are entering the "driving" season, which means more demand with no increase in supply. High demand with low supply = high price.

It's easy to blame the oil companies, but when you get down to it, there are many reasons for the price to fluctuate the way it does. I'm not saying the oil companies are innocent in this, becouse there are cases of gouging, and those should be found and prosocuted. But for the most part it makes sense when you look at the big picture.

Disclaimer: This message is my opinion and is not meant to incite a flame war, or a political war. Anyone can search for the facts and draw thier own conclusions as I have. Have a nice day
Finally someone else with some sanity I agree 100% with your post....because I have done the research also.

Edit...Oh, and don't forget the futures investors, like me (sorry), who also assist in driving up prices.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 PM

Not naive, but all summer and fall last year the DEMs *****ed about the rising price of gas and how it was the Repubs fault..... So where is there solution now?