The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Gas vs Stop/Go
Too many stop signs (gas waster)
54.12%
Not enough stop signs (what about safety?)
2.35%
I like stopping, I can show off my HHR
43.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Gas vs Stop/Go

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 PM

Gas vs Stop/Go

I was at work and started wondering about something...
How much gas is wasted everytime you have to stop and resume speed again?
I live in the "BIG" city, and there are stop signs at every other corner, and stop lights at about every fourth corner. It`s just a continuous cycle, and there doesn`t have to be someone approaching the other way, just a stop...
If the price of gas is a paramount concern, and conserving fuel is a goal, why doesn`t someone figure out how much is wasted with the traffic system the way it is?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:36 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
why doesn`t someone figure out how much is wasted with the traffic system the way it is?
Here in Miami, US1, the "main street", there are lights about every half mile. They are supposed to be in sync with each other. So not much time should be wasted by stopping at the lights. Not that that would really matter in rush hour though.
I also tend to avoid streets that I know are full of stop signs.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 PM

One light and two stop signs 18 mile to work, I love GENEVA, FL
Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Banned

You could always get one of these!

j/k I don't even concern myself with the thought. Stop and go traffic, traffic jams, police checkpoints, and so forth are all things you have to deal with if you want to live in the city. I've lived in a fairly large urban environment my whole life so I don't really know any different when it comes to driving. It's all just part of daily life to me. I guess none of the poll choices apply to me.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 PM

Hillsdale only has 8 traffic lights so..........................
Old 05-08-2007, 08:32 PM

Ok, I`ll admit I threw that last choice in because it`s really my favorite, and I know that a lot of stop signs are revenue generaters, but what about the gas wasted?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned

I don't care about gas prices or wasting gas. Hell suck the whole Middle East dry, burn out the whole ozone layer, and charge me $10 a gallon in the process for all I care. Gas is a necessity of life so I don't usually waste time thinking about it unless I need to get some. Oil companies have us by the balls anyways so what difference does it make. We'll all keep paying, or at least I will.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:15 PM

Well none of these work for me as most of my drive to work is freeway, sure the rush hour traffic sucks and wasting that gas, but living in the Phx area what can you do.
I some what agree with the Cpt we have to buy gas to drive, and if you like to drive you will pay for it. We still pay less that most of the world, about the only places that pay less are where the oil is. I wont pay as much as the Capt will but I will keep paying till I find a point that sends me over the edge
Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 PM

Well so far more than 50% just want to stop.."Hey look at me".
Ok, what if some of the stop signs were 'yield' instead? You know like the turn on red thing.
When there`s two veh. approaching an intersection, the one on the left yields the right of way.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Ahhh, Black Bueaty...you want to try that "yield" explanation again.

If there are Yield signs in place of Stop signs, the traffic having the Yield sign, YIELDS....at least that's the way my traffic manual states.

Oh, unless you are speaking of Yields in all four directions. Then usually, the first vehicle to the intersection has the right of way.

But, now that I think about it, you are in Chicago. They do things bass ackwards.

Quick Reply: Gas vs Stop/Go