The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Generation Communication Gap

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:00 AM

I'm old too, Computers and such I use all the time, back in the "dark ages" of computers I was a tech for awhile and I still find building and modding them interesting. But cell phones, "smart" phones, texting, etc. No way! and you'll never see me on FaceButt either.

Yeah, I'm old!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 AM

Gentlemen...there is definitely a place for all of these "old fashion" things, but technology can only help. Do you all still cook on the stove vs using a microwave? Typewriters vs. word? Carbs vs. fuel injection (don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a wide open 4bbl)? It is unfortunate that many of us "whipper-snappers" cannot communicate in a face to face situation, but not all are like that. Hand written letters are very nice...love getting mail that isn't a bill, but wouldn't you like to receive a picture of your grandkids via text, 30 seconds after they did something cute?

FWIW, tha rents tot me 2b respctfl n alwys lstn 2 those wisr thn me. i try 2 hlp whr i can...ttyl, hmu Rob :)

Translation:

For what it's worth, my parents taught me to be respectful and always listen to those that are wiser than me. I try to help where I can...talk to you later, please contact me (aka: hit me up)

Cordially yours,

Rob smileyface
Old 03-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Banned

My life revolves around emails (work) and i barely ever talk on the phone i rather txt.

At work i talk on the phone cus i have to but besides that it barely happens.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:00 AM

I teach construction and most of my young students have a hard time writing, their penmanship is atrocious, spelling I will not even go there, I to have come to rely on spell check but I was never very good at spelling any way, when I have to score a written exam I sometimes have to guess what they have written in some cases I have to ask them. Such is moving forward in this society, high tech has removed many of the finer touches in our lives, like receiving a hand written letter from a friend or family member.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:25 AM

I read resumes and place recruiting phone calls all day. Spelling and grammatical errors are a widespread issue. You can believe me when I say this: just because someone is educated and experienced, doesn't mean that they are capable of communicating in a professional manner. I spoke with an Electrical Engineer yesterday that couldn't hold a conversation with my three year old. Writing a proper resume is also a dying trend.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM

texting

I have the texting feature blocked on my cell phone...I refuse to "play the game" ...I use a phone for the purpose of talking only...until the time arrives that I'm forced to do so (and I'm sure it will), I also refuse to spend hundreds of dollars for the latest, greatest "smart phone" and the fees charged for utilizing the so called smart phones.
Technology can be a wonderful thing when applied correctly, however I think that it is not a good thing in regard to the way our young people have embraced it...let's put the games and the social networking in the closet and do something creative and positive...maybe even go outdoors for a while...now there's a novel idea!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 AM

Just because you text, doesn't mean that you have to forget spelling and punctuation. Say your wife sends you to the grocery on the way home from the office. You are driving down the road and she asks you for 7 specific ingredients for tonights dinner. You have to stop, find a pen/paper and write them down. If she texts them to you, you have it "written" already.

You look down at your rigning phone and it's your annoying cousin that will talk your ear off for 20 min. He has one question about grandma's birthday party this weekend that requires a "yes" or a "no" answer. Instead of listening to a story about cousin Vinny's rambling, you hit "reply" and your answer.

Yes, I'm trying to make an arguement for the perks of texting :)
Old 03-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Banned

Txting FTW!!! haha sorry guys
Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 AM

I just discovered "swiping" on my smartphone and it blew me away. I have an Evo 4G and instead of using the touchscreen to "type" a text, I can just run my finger through the keyboard and voila, the words appear. I too find the lack of correct spelling and punctuation quite aggravating (I've been accused of sounding like a walking dictionary when I talk ). I'm not "too" old though, I'm only 37!

Later
Allex
Old 03-18-2011, 12:07 PM

I am horrible about texting. It became a huge thing back when I was in high school and graduating though and by college you didn't make phone calls. My husband is only 2 years older then me and it drives him nuts! I just text him it is quicker for me and lets me keep my eyes on the kids easier then trying to hold a conversation with him, or I will shoot him an email. I'd much rather reply on my own time then whatever time someone calls.

I can however still write, still spell, and have a resume. I do agree this whole short handed TY, irks me because my boss uses it (he works for verizon) it took me a while to realize he meant Thank You.

Quick Reply: Generation Communication Gap