The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

has anyone used an invisible fence

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 AM

has anyone used an invisible fence

For anyone who has dogs, has anyone tried or like the invisible fence system? I cant put up a regular fence thanks to township zoning rules, and I have been thinking about this as an option. Just curious about the expreriences others have had.
Thanks -Justin
Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 PM

We have one (self-installed).

The dog is "smart" enough to know that if he runs right at the fence line, he can get through with limited minimal shock. He may be distracted when he does this though-chasing something.

When he does break out, he generally will not come back in. He's not as fast or knows its coming so he'll sit outside the warning area and bark.

This may sound mean, but it is helps to retrain him, when I bring him back in the yard I'll go slowly so he does get shocked. When I clear the warning area, I'll turn him back around and start to head out of the yard. The collar's warning will beep, I'll tell him firmly "NO!" "NO!" "NO!", and continue out so he gets shocked. Then let him go-he'll run back in to the "safe" area.

It reinforces that the beep is associated with a "NO" command, and a shock/punishment.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 PM

I'm fine with the idea of the dog getting a shock as reinforcement, but my dog is a rescue dog and very timid. I'm nervous that once she gets the slightest shock, I may not be able to get her back outside again.
Should I take from that, that you find the shock as good reinforcement to training for the dog?
Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 PM

We use one of the fences as well. Our 120 lb white lab is also a rescue dog and we were worried about the same thing. After her first shock, it took her about a week or so to go back into the yard. I worked with her by walking around the yard showing her where it was safe to go and she figured out on her own what the boundaries were.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 PM

I need one of these inside the house to keep my crazy Siamese away from my LCD TV!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:56 PM

it does bother me that my dog gets shocked from time to time but it beats her getting hit by a car. her collar adjusts from just a warning beep to brain fry.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:16 PM

We have had one for about 10 years, and it is absolutely fantastic. Ours is a genuine "Invisible Fence" partly since I don't believe in supporting copycats, but also because it is a high quality system and they provide training assistance at startup. It is important to follow the initial training procedure (with flags, etc), and if done right it is very unlikely your dogs will ever breakout (ours even stop when chasing a rabbit for example). I repair a wire break once or twice a year, other than that it is pretty much maintenance free. Our dogs are free to roam the property during the day while we are gone, and they love it.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Jdans431
I'm fine with the idea of the dog getting a shock as reinforcement, but my dog is a rescue dog and very timid. I'm nervous that once she gets the slightest shock, I may not be able to get her back outside again.
Should I take from that, that you find the shock as good reinforcement to training for the dog?
It really is a matter of conditioning and training.
When first installed, there are flags that mark where the wire is around the perimiter of the property.

You progressively train the dog on its use:

1) fence off, walk the dog around the yard (on a leash), approach the fence line, lean down shake the flag, and a sharp "NO". Do this at vaious points around the yard.

2) Repeat step 1, this time with the fence on.
They will associate the flag/collar's warning beep/and "NO" command. But don't bring them close enough to get the shock yet. Also walk them into the yard, away from the fence line (and praise them).

3) Finally, approach flag/collar's warning beep/and "NO" command, and take them close enough for a shock. Immediately take lead them to their "safe" area and praise them.

These steps are done over several days, and not all at once.
My dog had it figured out pretty quick in a couple of days.

As the batteries wear down, he figures out he can "test" the fence and not get the shock. Or like I mentioned, occasionally he will just run through it. I've seen him do it, and he yelps as he goes through, and then won't cross on his own to come back into the yard. That is why I make sure he get shocked when I bring him back in. It is a punishment, but it is used to reinforce where the line is-It is NOT a sadistic move on my part.

Finally, one thing on the shock itself-I have held the probes and walked up to the line to receive the shock. I wanted to know what I was inflicting on the dog. It is more startling than painful (it is a shock, but it doesn't hurt or burn). Also, depending on how thick the dog's fur is, the collars come with different probes (longer for thicker fur).

Mine is an older Pet Safe system, now http://www.radiofence.com
I've had the same system - control unit for 15 years. But, I have had to replace the ground wire sometimes-replacing with heavier wire.
I've been very happy with their customer service-they replaced a 13 year old collar for me two years ago.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by HHR_ROX_CALI
I need one of these inside the house to keep my crazy Siamese away from my LCD TV!
You can get one for indoor use. the transmitter is about the sice of a frisbee, but it is an older one. We have one for our cat to keep him from coming upstairs into the bedrooms. Works just fine.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM

If your dog is bullheaded and stubborn the invisible fence isn't gonna work without some good training. Certain breeds of dogs have higher tolerance to pain then others, like any bulldog type breed or mastiffs, you get the idea.

Quick Reply: has anyone used an invisible fence