The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Health/Life Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Exclamation Health/Life Challenge

Name:  stairstepper.gif
Views: 27
Size:  3.9 KB

Well todays the day I start to reclaim my health back. The past year I have been in a slump and have let myself go but now is the time for that to change. I challenge all to join me. I will post my starting weight tomorrow after getting back from the gym and then update here weekly. My goal is to lose 15 lbs by the beginning of June and an additional 15 lbs by the end of August. I know there will be a few people out there keeping an eye on me and I'm counting on that. So starting tomorrow I will dust off that Gym Membership and start getting sweaty. I will also be concentrating on my eating habits as they have gotten way out of whack as well. NO MORE EXCUSES!!

My plan of attack is as follows:

1. Sleep. The body needs it.
2. A.M. Workout to kickstart the metabolism
3. Breakfast. A Big Key to Success
4. Smaller meals through the day with small HEALTHY Snacks in between
5. Lots of water. Yeah, I'll be visiting the boys room more.
6. An evening physical activity whether it be walking, biking, etc.
7. No food after 7:30 pm.
8. A multi-vitamin

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 03-22-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:13 PM

Okay you asked for it.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:16 PM
jx3

Right there with you Hills!!

The last 1¾ has been rough on me, between dialysis and then my recent transplant. Just got the word for the xplant coordinator that I can resume my gym membership. First goal is to lose the 20 pounds gained since xplant on Xmas day!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

I congratulate both of you and, send the best of good wishes, for your efforts.

I need to exercise 2 times daily (1 aerobic, 1 strength training) becomes of health reasons. I'm told by MANY doctors that I am in fantastic shape FOR MY AGE, even though I am getting a 'little chunky" around the middle.

So, I'm writing this as an encouragement....you can do it.

How about adding a few particulars. It is kind of personal BUT,....

Age.....
Height.....
Weight.....
Blood pressure......
Resting pulse rate.......
Total cholesterol....

These readings are in relationship to your overall health goals and you will notice improvements in these areas as well, when exercise and diet are controlled.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:44 PM

Snoopy, you are right on the additional info and I will add age and height when I post my starting weight. Both of my parents suffer from High Blood Pressure and my father has Diabetes and my mother High Cholesterol. This is my main reason for getting back on track. I know I have surpassed 200 and think I'm around 210 (we will see tomorrow). The weight itself is not my primary concern as is the percentage of fat that the weight represents.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

If and when we meet, I'd like to shake your hand.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:59 PM

Great to hear man!!!! One step at a time!!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:17 PM

I am in...I recently finally got to 200 but my goal is to get to 180 by August. I am 33 (34 in a couple of weeks) and I need to lose the fat around the middle so that I can avoid diabetes and heart problems. It's funny now that I have a 2 year old daughter and another daughter due in the next couple of weeks that I am starting think more and more about how long I will be around to enjoy them.

Here is my info:
Height: 5'-10"
Weight: 200 (this morning)
Cholesterol/Heart rate/bp all good according to doctor
Goal: 180 lb weight, lower % of body fat
Strategy: No snacking, better food choices, increased physical activity

I started the weight loss/health drive after trying a Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator like the one here: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/. My BMI @225 lbs in November was 32.3 and the damn thing called me OBESE! - that really hurt my feelings. Today my BMI is 28.7, merely "overweight". When I reach 180, my BMI will be 25.7 - very close to "normal weight" and I will have greatly reduced my risk of diabetes and heart disease.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:31 PM

Great to hear you've been making ground Bdubsee!! My plan of attack is as follows:

1. Sleep. The body needs it.
2. A.M. Workout to kickstart the metabolism
3. Breakfast. A Big Key to Success
4. Smaller meals through the day with small HEALTHY Snacks in between
5. Lots of water. Yeah, I'll be visiting the boys room more.
6. An evening physical activity weather it be walking, biking, etc.
7. No food after 7:30 pm.
8. A multi-vitamin
Old 03-22-2007, 04:44 PM

My travels this week have proven that I'm way out of shape. I had always been an athlete but a divorce, two major surgeries, and taking a break to really exhale after sending my boys to college have taken their toll.

I'm in all the way. I'm not really too thrilled about posting my weight but you'd guess it anyway when you saw me. Remember that I've never been thin and menopause isn't helping matters. Finally, I don't care what the trainer on the show Celebrity Fit Club said, I AM BIG BONED!

height: 5'10"
weight: 280 lb
goal: 5 lbs per month until my arthritic knees stop aching
strategy: I've been eating Healthy Choice or Smart Ones meals for lunch for over a year with no weight loss. That means it's time to change the other two meals. I'm also going to wean myself back off of french vanilla creamer in my coffee. Finally, I'll add more raw fruits and vegetables to my diet. Oh yeah, add exercise to my daily schedule.

My very thin son will love this when he gets home from college!

Quick Reply: Health/Life Challenge