The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Heart rythm disturbances: anyone else have it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 PM

Heart rythm disturbances: anyone else have it?

I've had it since a child. Worst episode was back in 1994, couldn't break a spell of bigeminy (sp?) went E.R., EKG showed it, they settled it down, let me go home, referred by family MD to a cardiologist, echo sonagraphy done, etc., declared as the benign type. It takes spells. I had a stress echo last year, boy was that fun. I'm athletically in-shape, but you run the treadmill all wired up and after you've cranked away long enough they have you immediately lay down on your side and they start the ultrasound, but the bad part is they make you hold your breath several times and that's a b^tch to do when you're still panting from the oxygen debt, all winded from the treadmill running. That test came out okay, everything working right.

Having skips and palps as I type this. I don't worry over them nearly as much as I used to. Funny thing is it only seems to do it at rest. Under load like in the gym I don't get them much. Like an engine with a lumpy idle that smooths out once you step on the gas. So far, any way.

Not even sure why I'm posting this, I guess i was just wondering if anyone else has an irregular heart beat condition and if it annoys you like it does me.

A co worker had radio frequency ablation done by one of the best at the procedure-- he traveled to Tulsa for it. But his has come back. My mother had the rf ablation done and hers has come back. Niether one of them has as much problem as before their rf ablation procedures but still have intermittent recurrences, so I'm on the fence as to whether or not to undergo that procedure.

Used to take beta blockers (tenormin) but didn't like the way it made me feel.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:04 PM

When you have this, what kind of symptons do you get?

Ng
Old 08-02-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by ng8650
When you have this, what kind of symptons do you get?

Ng
Depends. Sometimes I get a slight flushed feeling upper chest just under collar bones and lower throat if its one of the more pronounced episodes. My doctor explained that if from the inefficient pumping. After all the tests they basically said that as long as I don't pass out don't worry too much about it.

This past month it has been fairly bothersome. If it doesn't ease off in frequency I'm going back to the MD, although my gall stones and indigestion are likely aggravating it (appt next week w/ surgeon for consult on the stones). I'm aware of the risk of throwing a clot if the disturbance effects efficiency of pumping too much.

I do think some of it lately is aggravated by stress because I have a lot going on in my life at the moment and when I take a xanax .5mg it smooths it out quite a bit, for the most part.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:57 PM

I was born with irregular heart beat but did not know what it was till 1966. I was called in by the draft board for a physical and they discovered it. I had these episodes all thru childhood but didn't know what it was. Now that I'm older they affect me alot more and can really tire me out. I seem to get them when I am relaxing more than and other time. If I happen to wake up with an irregular heart beat I tend to have it all day. I had a stroke last fall and the episodes seem to tire me out more than they used to. Gettin old ain't for sissies !
Be Well Jim
Old 08-02-2007, 11:07 PM

I don't have problems myself, but a guy I work with does.

He's had a heart murmur since he was a kid, and they recently wanted him to go in for an echo test when he turned 50. Well, he did that last Friday (last day of his vacation) and after they got done with the echo test, they admitted him to the hospital cardiac wardbecause they didn't like what they saw.

At first they thought he might have endocarditis, as they saw something funny with one of his heart valves. They ran a battery of tests looking for an infection that might have affected his system and how the valve was operating and found nothing.

Yesterday, he went in for a TEE test where they put a thing down your throat and look at your heart valves that way. They found that one of his valves is only opening a small amount, so they will be scheduling him for a heart valve replacement in the next 30 days or so.

He hasn't been feeling himself and has been a little more tired than normal and now this explains what was going on. For your own sake, I'd go in and have them do some tests to see what is causing this...no point in speculating and asking others what they think it might be. It's a good idea to leave it to the professionals in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Yesterday, he went in for a TEE test where they put a thing down your throat and look at your heart valves that way.
Transesophageal Echocardiogram
Old 08-03-2007, 06:33 AM
jx3

Just found out in December last year that I have a heart murmur. My wife found this out first .She was told this as I was being wheeled in to surgery for my kidney xplant.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:45 AM

I was told that I have a slight Mumur, during one of my Surgerys. Strange, the next surgery, the did not find. Comes and goes.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 AM

Hey LoneRanger your problem is you run or jog too much outside to find some 08 HHR
just kidding hope your health won't get worst to stay with us for a while.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:20 AM

Bigeminy in itself is fairly benign, as is SVT and PAC's. The problems develop when you have prolonged bouts.

I personally have had two myocardial infarctions (heart attacks with damage), as well as several incidents of acute coronary syndrome (heart attacks without damage) in the past seven years. I also suffered a mild stroke caused by excessive bleeding during a heart catheterization, brought about by the fact that I was receiveing 3 different blood thinners to prevent clotting and damage. I too have had bigeminy, and suffer from waves of SVT's.

Right now I have 8 stents in place to keep my coronary arteries open. I am turning into a prime candidate for a pacemaker.

Do you need to worry? Yeah, just a bit, but don't fret over it. My problems stem mostly from 28years of firefighting. There are other factors in there that we won't discuss.

Unfortunately, I live better chemically. I take 18 pills per day to keep my heart beating regularly, and to prevent it from overworking. I also take 2 cholesterol meds, as well as Plavix and aspirin to keep me from clotting. The worst thing...I was forced out of work and placed on a permanent disabilty retirement at age 47. I never knew that the town could do that.

I have attended Cardiac Rehabilitation twice ( I got the graduation T-shirts to prove it), and walk 2 - 2 1/2 miles per day. While I am no poster boy for improving health, I managed to increase my ejection fraction (indicator of how your heart is pumping) to 52%.

All of this also helps with the lung disease I have developed (asthma from a Haz Mat and mild emphysema from bad habits).

What have I learned? Exercise will not necessarily kill you. Take care of your heart. Follow your doctor's advice. If you have palpitations or strange heartbeats, tell your doctor right away. If you think you need help, call 9-1-1 and get to a hospital. Better to find out it was not a big deal than waiting too long and risking death (I drove myself once. I haven't heard the end of that yet).

Sorry for rambling. I am no expert on heart disease, but never take things lightly. DO WHAT THE DOCTOR TELLS YOU AND LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

Quick Reply: Heart rythm disturbances: anyone else have it?