The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Help Needed! Paint Emergency!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 03:54 PM

Help Needed! Paint Emergency!

My son just got home and is he p***** off! A can of blue Rustoleum fell and hit the slide track of his driver's seat in his Dodge Ram Quad Cab. Needless to say the gray/black interior is now blue! The aerosol went everywhere and is one heck of a mess. It's already dry. Any ideas of what to use to clean this off? I mean it is everywhere!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Founding Member

Might you have a picture of this? I just had to giggle at this one. I feel bad this happened, but, sometimes ya just have to laugh. This is one I would be extremely PO'd at first, then the laughing would begin thinking, "this could only happen to me, only me"!

I hope the troops come up with a removal program for you!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:27 PM

I got spray paint off my windows with brake fluid. Might work on dashes. Not sure. Sorry!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:48 PM

I know that gas gets paint off very good, but nott sure that you'd want to use it on the inside or you could try nail polish remover.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:03 PM

I know that I have used alcohol to remove smaller amounts of paint. It might work just a thought. I know that we use the 90% rubbing alcohol at work, which would be the stuff I used at home.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:26 PM

Aircraft stripper but it is highly caustic and will eat palstic and rubber, brake fluid, but it can stain, usually easier on plastic and rubber, there is a cleaner called Goo Gone, but I don't know about it's effectiveness after the paint is dry. If the paint is enamel based use enamel reducer, but it will smell and will need to be used in the open, as will most odf these mentioned, and if the paint is lacquer try lacquer thinner, but it is hard on plastic and rubber, acetone, but smells and can be tough on palstic and rubber... Good luck...
Old 09-11-2006, 05:28 PM

I'm not trying to stomp on all of this but it might be easier to just have the interior re-dyed than to try a bunch of different products and just make things worse.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:38 PM

Well.....a friend's father owns a body shop. Looked at it, laughed, and estimated 1200 dollars for new carpet, upholstery, door panels, headliner, etc.

I haven't laughed, but it sure is hard to keep a straight face. He has blue paint all over his arms, hands, neck, hair. All he needs now is a few piercings. At the same time it's sad to see because he worked his ass off to buy that truck new. He's 22 and that's his baby. The Quad Cab 1500 4X4, hemi, and the only 8 foot bed in these parts.

I loaded some pics in the gallery for Sindy. Some didn't come out so great because I was shivering (it's 50 degrees out) and it's starting to get dark.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/bro...c=3&userid=340

BTW - 928 posts. I'm catching up! (not really but it makes me feel good to think I am )
Old 09-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

I have found that denatured alcohol works really well, for paint of fabric. Probably would work well on the plastic door panels, etc. without softening the panel. A gallon was about $4-5.00 when I got it at Home Depot. Obviously work in a well ventilated area....it will dissipate in about 2 days.

But you know, worsed case scenario.....try on the hard plastic, metal surfaces first. I'm reasonable sure that can be removed. Last resort buy new carpeting...maybe seat covers. But, you can always try, then replace or redye, as suggested, if the paint didn't "clump".
Old 09-11-2006, 07:30 PM

Oh MY GOD!! that would suck so bad!!! I know there is this a chemical called (type wash) they use in printing buisnesses that removes dry ink etc.. but it may eat the plastic as i have seen it disolve a foam coffee cup if left to long but it might be worth a try and then wipe down with alcohol or something afterward!!?? GOOD LUCK!!

Quick Reply: Help Needed! Paint Emergency!