The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

HHR insurance

Old 11-21-2007, 08:41 AM

HHR insurance

I was shopping around for new insurance and was talking to a few different companies, and heard a weird thing that I sure is wrong.

A lot of companies think that the 2.4L ecotec is a inline 246c.i. 5 cylinder, and the 2.0l in the SS is a 305c.i. v8. I polity told a few companies they are full of ****, but non believed me.

Just thought it was very wierd. I also got a VIN for a v8 HHR from an insurance agent.
1GCCA23H
^^^What the hell?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:53 PM

Have you tried GEICO yet? At least they don't have issues trying to figure out an engine size.

(BTW, from past experience: Nationwide once got the YEAR wrong on one of my past cars, they thought my '79 Cadillac was a '97. Never mind there's only 15 digits in a pre-1980's VIN number. I dropped them shortly thereafter.)
Old 11-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by -md- HHR
I was shopping around for new insurance and was talking to a few different companies, and heard a weird thing that I sure is wrong.

A lot of companies think that the 2.4L ecotec is a inline 246c.i. 5 cylinder, and the 2.0l in the SS is a 305c.i. v8. I polity told a few companies they are full of ****, but non believed me.

Just thought it was very wierd. I also got a VIN for a v8 HHR from an insurance agent.
1GCCA23H
^^^What the hell?
Wow....you may be correct about this. You started me wondering why I was quoted a doubling of my rates, at the time of renewal (because of that, I have changed companies). So, went back to the AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance web site and attempted to quote out my car. This is what I encountered for the description.....

Type............Car
Year............2006
Make...........Chev
Model..........HHR LT
Sub Model...Sport Van 214 c.i. 4x2 5 cyl. gas
...Wagon 4 dr. 171 c.i. 4x2 4 cyl. gas
...Sport Van 366 c.i. 4x2 8 cyl. gas
...Wagon 4 dr. 134 c.i. 4x2 4 cyl. gas
...Wagon 4 dr. 146 c.i. 4x2 4 cyl. gas
...Sport Van 146 c.i. 4x2 4 cyl. gas

The Sub Model field, provided those models to select from. While I didn't take the time to configure c.i. to liters, I rapidly realized that I haven't seen or do I know about a 5 cylinder or an 8 cylinder.

I'll call them tomorrow and try to totally confuse them.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 PM

2.0 liter = 122 cubic inches
2.2 liter = 134 cubic inches
2.4 liter = 146 cubic inches
Old 11-21-2007, 08:34 PM

Some of the Colorado Pickups have 5 cyl. engines, but how the ins. companies think they're in HHRs too is a mystery? As far as reasonable insurance rates go, if your in the AARP generations, I've found you can't beat the AARP/Hartford rates. I've gotten quotes from several other companies over the years, including Geico a couple of times, and they can't do better. They sometimes are close, but never cheaper, not yet anyway!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Alzonie
Some of the Colorado Pickups have 5 cyl. engines, but how the ins. companies think they're in HHRs too is a mystery? As far as reasonable insurance rates go, if your in the AARP generations, I've found you can't beat the AARP/Hartford rates. I've gotten quotes from several other companies over the years, including Geico a couple of times, and they can't do better. They sometimes are close, but never cheaper, not yet anyway!

But as I said, Alzonie....my rates more than doubled from the previous year......$437/yr to $879/yr. When I initially contacted AARP/Hartford about this increase they offered nothing, except the rates went up. And, believe me I argued....how could they double...no accidents, no tickets, no claims.

I got the same coverage from State Farm for $316/ half year.

And, I will agree with your original statement regarding their rates. That's why I went to them 4 years ago. And, you know how they explain they can save you money on you Home Owners? They couldn't even come close to the rates on that. They wanted to REDUCE coverage on everything to match the rate I was currently paying. How the hell can you compare rates, if it's not apples to apples???

Anyway, I'm calling tomorrow to see about an explanation.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:51 AM

man, state farm is milking me for 600 every 6 months, i feel used.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:09 AM

That's the thing you have watch with insurance. Are they reducing your coverage to bring the price down? For all you, make sure you carry adequate limits of liability. $5,000 PD doesn't cover damage to anything anymore. I don't know why the states have not increased their mandatory limits yet.

I just got my State Farm renewal and it's $343 with $130 in premium reductions for multi-car, multi-line, etc. I thought my rates would go down after turning 50. Maybe I should get a quote from AARP. Oops, I see they gave me a discount for anti-lock brakes. Guess I ought to call and get that removed. I'll do that as soon as they take off the 1% hurricane assessment. I didn't file any claims but all Florida insurance is being assessed. What a crock!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:14 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
I'll do that as soon as they take off the 1% hurricane assessment. I didn't file any claims but all Florida insurance is being assessed. What a crock!
Old 11-22-2007, 04:05 PM

Our coverage for 2 very old people on 2 cars is under $480/for 6 months. we have $100 deductible on the HHR and $50 on the other. Also the other car is to be driven less than 1700 miles a year. Did that well less than 500mi. last year.... but I agree insurance is a big rip off.
Just received new insurance statement... car insurance is now $405/6 months...

Last edited by sweetmama; 11-22-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: correction

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HHR insurance