The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

How do you handle solicitors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Founding Member

How do you handle solicitors?

How do you deal with solicitors?

With a 'no solicitors' door plaque, a 'go away' door mat, a 'buzz off' door mat and a 'no religious wackos' door plaque, I still get door knocks. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind friends and such knockin', but really dislike knocks (and phone calls) from solicitors.

I have enabled 'call intercept' through my telephone service. I have to pay for it which sucks, but it has nearly stopped all phone solicitations.

I wonder if this will help for the one at my front door?

Last edited by SindyDix; 04-08-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-08-2007, 07:05 PM

Im upfront. Not interested. Goodbye!
Old 04-08-2007, 07:21 PM

i usually answer the door in my undies and only my undies it sends them all runnin for the hills!!! LOL

as far as the phone calls i usually interupt them ask for their home phone and ask what time they sit down for dinner so i can call them and beg for cash and say thanx and hang up!
Old 04-08-2007, 07:41 PM

My dogs bark every time someone comes to the door. They can be quite scary if you don't know them. Drives most solicitors away.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:48 PM

That will work just fine and if they don't leave, Then look what he will have for dinner.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:51 PM

I dont answer the phone if I dont know the number. If it is somone who wants me they can leave a message and I will call them back.
Same goes for the door or I just open and wait for them to start and say nope and shut the door.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:14 PM

I usually answer the door holding a short barrel pump shotgun.Then I say I thought it was my ex-wife.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:35 PM

We are lucky and don't get solicitors. It is against our HOA.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:24 PM

Unhappy

Name:  scared_kitty.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  8.3 KB
Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HonestBlues
I usually answer the door holding a short barrel pump shotgun.Then I say I thought it was my ex-wife.
"blues".....

I actually did this one time and the #$%^&** called the County Sheriff. Had to explain I never pointed or raised it in his direction. The 2 officers tried to convince me it was not a good idea. I mentioned...I'm on my own property, that I live in the "boonies"(at the time), I don't trust anyone I don't recognize, and who would knock on my door at 6:30 at night.

I even pointed at the double barrel against the wall while I was talking with them. One wanted to "check it" and I requested a warrant to enter...so far a normal person would admit probable cause did not exist, so you can't enter without my permission. Anyway, after more discussion and radio communication with a supervisor, they left.

Telephone solicitors are prohibited if you are on the federal "do not call" list. When they do (which is VERY far between), I usually get all their info and note the date and time. I then advise, I'm on the do not call list, and advise them I'm filing a complaint....which will cost them $10,000 for each offense. They hang up immediately. I never seem to get a call back from the same company or solicitor.

Last edited by SindyDix; 04-09-2007 at 05:20 AM. Reason: tag edit/quote

Quick Reply: How do you handle solicitors?