The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

How to Kill Milkweed Bugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Founding Member

How to Kill Milkweed Bugs?

I've Googled and read through many sites and pages. Most of what I have read to kill these bugs is to use detergent spray and or vacuum them up. Or let them be as they really wont hurt anything. Well, I'm not going out in my back yard and vacuum, this is the desert for Petes sake! I've tried the detergent spray and still have these bugs in my yard.

Yeah, yeah, they wont hurt and are beneficial and all that save the planet stuff but I don't want them in my little slice of earth. If I could convince them to go to my neighbors yard then that would be great but I don't speak Milkweed!

Has anyone one here dealt with killing these creatures? I want them gone!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 PM
jx3

Since everything says to use detergent spray, maybe get a box of laundry detergent (or how ever many is needed) and use a fertilizer spreader to spread it over the yard.
Well, if it doesn't work, you'll at least have the cleanest yard in the neighborhood

BTW.......this is a very effective way to remove fire ants as well!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Don't know what is allowed in Calif. but I would try a commercial bug killer. Home Depot has a pretty good selection. MAX works for me on almost everything. But if you find the right person in the garden department, he/she can suggest something.

This is, of course, you are not against using chemical bug killers.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:17 AM

Kind of looks like a Boxelder Bug. Not sure if they are related but a mixture of Lemon Dish Soap and Water in spray bottle works on those.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:31 AM

They can't be nearly as bad as Palmetto Bugs. Just imagine a roach that is 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.

I need to apply detergent to my yard to choke out the mole crickets. I think I'll do that this weekend!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:42 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
They can't be nearly as bad as Palmetto Bugs. Just imagine a roach that is 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
Those are just baby sized compared to what we got a couple hundred miles south of you!

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Kind of looks like a Boxelder Bug. Not sure if they are related but a mixture of Lemon Dish Soap and Water in spray bottle works on those.
Yes they are related. The spray bottle use is good if you're going to zap them 1 at a time.