The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Hurricane Sandy

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:17 PM

I pray everyone will be safe through this storm. My daughter, son in law, and grandkids are in Narragansett, RI just off the beach. Other than no electricity they are doing pretty good.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
I am on LI and we had some evacuations & all public transportation has been suspended....

Anyone needing weather info-use this site: www.wunderground.com
Mike- Thanks, that's a great weather info link..

Just entered the zipcodes of areas I wanted to check on, & up to the minute great details !!!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 AM

We are having effects of it here in Southern Michigan. Very high winds and freezing rain/sleet.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Banned

Its snowing down here in Ohio and high winds. Upwards of 55mph gusts. Q
Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, watched the weather reports, off and on, for the past 2 days. I have a few relatives and many friends on the eastern seaboard. I wish them all the best......while I sit in my back yard in 90 degree weather and a fine Dominican cigar.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM

I live in Queens County NY and a tree fell right in front of my HHR. Luckily, the treetop just barely missed my hood and grill.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM

And yes, I did brave the storm to move my car back about 3 feet. :)
Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Lightbulb

We had wind gusts upwards of 81mph last night and the rain sounded like hail on the windows...thought some of the bigger windows on that side of the house may not make the night...thankfully they did, but Sandy wasn't nice to the area.
Power went out about 2100 last night and we probably won't have it back for a day or two yet....compaired to some in NJ...it's barely worth mentioning.

If it wasn't for tough times we wouldn't appreciate the good times near as much.

Prayers up for those that weren't as lucky as myself & others..
Old 11-01-2012, 12:24 PM

Checking in from Nassau County LI.... No power since Monday. Estimates are "up to 14 days minimal". Minimal gasoline available. Between stations that were in the middle of changing in-ground tanks, to Stations with out power-it is bad... No looting near me yet. Mossburg Persuader loaded n ready. Have basic food-cans of soup, raviolli, etc. A few full propane tanks for BBQ. Mini gel fuel stove (for wifes & girls hot cup of tea-world could be coming apart but it's ok if they can still have their tea) Have to say my world right now is roses in comparison. Part of my District is Far Rockaway-approximately 140 homes in one community are destroyed by fire & flood wipe out. Several of my Brooklyn areas near Coney Island are basically streets that have become beaches complete with sand. Long Beach which is not within my areas is devestated as well. I know Jersey got it bad as well. Kiss going to AC for the weekend goodby. I just hope everyone is as well as possible. Cars & homes can be replaced-loved ones cannot. 2 Employees living in areas that had to be evacuated unfortunately went into their homes and were drowned in their basements when sudden swells crashed into their homes and trapped them under debris in the basements. It was bad enough one, but 2 different employees in 2 different locations. Will give any future updates soon. I have to jump on the net from work as we have power.

NYC-Update. 14 of the 25+ subway line may be operational soon. Most still flooded with sea water. Sea water and electrical components dont make a good pair... Some busses running. Most of Queens, Brooklyn, Jamaica, LIC, Nassau main roads passable. Staten Island was hit bad but could have been worse. They were lucky only ONE tanker ran ashore! As of now the only area there shut down in my District is Mariners Harbor. The rest of you that were hit-HANG IN THERE!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Mike- Glad you & yours are OK. On the news, looks Extremely bad up that way..

My sister & family in Arlington, Va. only lost power for 26 hours.

Back in Fla. we would get hammered by a Hurricane & expect loss of power.
Longest was 9 nine days, & 2 weeks later got hit again, lost power for 7 days.,
But it was hot weather. BIG Difference.

Sorry to hear of the loss of the 2 employees, that is tragic..

You HANG in THERE too..

Quick Reply: Hurricane Sandy