The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Hurricane Sandy

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 AM

At work today. Still no power/heat at home. 19 people so far found dead in Staten Island. One man was found on the floor dead because when he didn't leave before the storm and his power went out-so did his oxygen setup... If people are told to leave-there usually is a reason. People in the Rockaways & Long Beach that were told to leave WHO DIDN'T-are now taking away rescue personnel from other necessary duties by having to be rescued themselves. Please remember when you are told to leave and you don't you put the emergency service people at lifes risk to rescue you, as well as diverting them from emergencies elsewhere. Being selfish like that can cost lives! Our goverment Fleets will be (hopefully) receiving mobile fueling trucks within each of our major areas today.

As for me I have just utilized my last 5gal metal jerry can... Have some fuel. Will be at work tomorrow. N/S on Sunday, work Mon, N/S Tuesday. Hopefully by Tuesday the Fuel situation will stabilize. My Neighbor and I have placed our vehicles strategically against our homes to ward off idiots looking for fuel. With our combined weapons & wives & kids knowing how to use them I do not see us having an issue.....Food levels are not bad at home. The surrounding area has pockets of power and deliveries so it is not an issue right now to restock-however we are only doing canned goods because you don't know what store could be re-using spoiled "fresh" food. Yeah it sounds bad, but once again I have to say I have it good compare to most others. Kids, wife & I are playing games in the evening by candlelight. Actually talking to each other. Making hot coffee & tea. Not too bad. We all need to "cut" our power once in a while to enjoy our families.....

Subways and a few LI MTA train lines coming alive. Free bus fairs for today... Cleanups going on all around. Sanitation in my area is picking up on the normal schedule. Mail deliveries were the 1st thing that had showed us signs of normalsey... Good old mail! Mail getting through but not internet, cell phone service real bad, 30% of the cell towers are still out. Will update by tomorrow....Boss watching!