The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

I'm Calling The "Geek Squad"

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by txsman2930
Do you have your cable/modem running off a splitter, or do you have a separate cable outlet specifically for your cable/modem. I know sometimes when using a splitter, it can cause problems.
Thanks Txsman,

No cable splitter... direct outlet was installed (by Adelphia service tech) about 4/5 yrs ago. Never had any cable modem issues until I hooked up the router.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:45 AM

Lots of mention in this thread about firewalls etc. I've been thinking the same thing but I've asked both Adelphia/Linksys tech support and they seem to skirt around the issue.

Thanks everyone for your help & input so far

I find it hard to believe that these companies (like Linksys) tech support people can't figure out/help with their own products
Old 03-15-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JoeR
A common problem is the MAC authentication. Evidently not your's though. Sure sounded like that. How long did you power down? Possibly not long enough? Some systems and modems take a bit to clear the memory.

You might try posting your particulars here:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/wlan

The best resource I know of. Good luck.
Thanks again Joe,

Thanks for the link! I'll be heading to their forums now/quickly!

Yeah, kinda funny...I actually had to tell/inform the Linksys tech person about the Mac address's. You'd think they would know that already!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:14 PM

I had issues with my network when I bought my laptop a couple of years ago. I already had a wired network running with a DSL modem and a Linksys router. The laptop came bundled with a Wireless G Router, so I thought that all I would have to do is swap the wireless for the Linksys and configure from the browser interface. Days later I gave up trying to get the router to see the DSL modem and put the Linksys back in the chain - everything came up on the first boot! So I configured the wireless router as an access point and plugged it into the Linksys - and now my laptop can surf the net. I know that doesn't help you, but I'm trying to run up my post total!

Seriously though, One of the issues I ran into when trying to share my connection was the assignment of IP addresses. Both the DSL modem and the router were trying to do it. I had to telnet into my DSL modem and convert it into a bridge in order to make things work for me. Neither Sprint nor Bellsouth will support network sharing unless you pay them an extra $10 a month for "networking", so I had to find out how to do this on my own. Have you Googled your router or modem to see if anyone has any helpful info online? I found out how to convert my modem from a site that showed you how to connect your X-Box up to the net - the original X-Box, so it's been awhile! Good luck and try not to pull your hair out!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:25 PM

Thanks Alien, (best of luck running up your post totals)

I have called/asked Adelphia customer sevice if I need to purchase another IP address for the laptop and/or router and they told me NO. However on Adelphia's website FAQ's page they say YES! ($5.00 extra per IP addy... up to 4 or 5 addys)

At this point I don't mind paying the extra $$$ just to get the dang thing up & running!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:36 PM

At this point, I haven't EVEN got to the stage of making my laptop connect with the router... it has to be something in/or between my main computer, the modem & the router, which are all connected CAT5 cables. (not at present moment)

If it wouldn't look like crap... I'd just run a 100-150ft 10/100 cable through my condo and upstairs to the laptop. It's gettin to that point.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jddrumman
Thanks Fenris,

Hmmm.... mine is a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router w/Speedboost. (or are you talking about me switching to a NON wireless router?)

Also, this is not my first time hooking up. (I've tried multiple times )
I should have mentioned that it is a "wireless" broaband router and after reading your post, we have basically the same thing. Any error messages? Also did check to see if your wireless LAN card was working? Sometimes you just have to give it a boost by using the "troubleshoot device". If your ethernet card is working, you might just want to check using the device manager.and if you see a little yellow ? by your WLAN card that's could be your thorn..let us know what you find out, because if you are doing everything right, that might be a problem.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:26 PM

ID Address

what do you get when you type in the IP address Your Router or Modem? Does your Toshiba have connect free? my new Toshiba set up great with that software.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:12 PM

oh... the Geek Squad is a no-no... many of them drive around in PT's...
Old 03-15-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by PerryHallHHR
oh... the Geek Squad is a no-no... many of them drive around in PT's...
I thought they drove VW Beetles? (At least in the commercials)

Quick Reply: I'm Calling The "Geek Squad"