The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Interesting article on Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting article on Ethanol

I just found this article about ethanol. If what is stated is true, it does raise some concerns.

I'm not taking a position either pro or con. I just think THIS information should be shared.

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...rss_topStories
Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 PM

Excellent article. Scientifically sound, and a good summary. Thanks for the link, I forwarded it to friends. Sounds like there might be an opportunity for Ethanol sampling kits (test your fuel)?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Wow.
I never really thought the 10% ethanol mix was much of a big deal. I knew it had a slight negative impact on fuel economy, but didn't realize the long term ramifications on the engine.

There is a station I pass to and from my house that does not add ethanol (they have a large sign out front proclaiming such). I think I will begin purchasing my fuel there.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 PM

The 2.0L fuel system operates at pressure as high as 2,250psi (about 750 psi at idle to 2,250 psi at wide-open throttle). I would hate to think what this implies if the fuelrails were made of composite instead of stainless steel. If pinholes were to develop from the use of Ethanol in the fuel rails of other engines equipped with high pressure fuel systems made of composite materials, it may very well be catastrophic.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:40 PM

as far as i know and have seen, you cant buy "pure" gasoline anymore at least not anywhere in illinois... theyve been adding ethanol to gas for at least 15-20 years (look at the fuel pump... the octane measurement rating)

great link there... and its been well known amongst the mechanic circles that ethanol does hell to engines and fuel systems... that is unless its a vehicle that is designed to run off of ethanol like top fuel drag cars (u know the bright blue flames at night ones)

but then again... if all cars were electric, then people would complain about cancer like they do with power lines and cell phones
Old 05-24-2009, 11:02 PM

Ethanol test kit can be found here for $15.00. This is where I found my tester.
Airchraft engine in airboats don,t like ethanol. There might be ones for less this is just the one I use very easy to do. GM had a tester in the mid 80s to test for gasohol, looks like the same tester.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...hanolTest.html
Old 05-25-2009, 07:08 PM

PURE GASOLINE-otherwise known as leaded gas is still available in MN.- I use it in my lawnmower, snowblower 2 cycle garden equipment and even a couple old vehicles that still have carbs. Used ethanyl in snowblower and had to rebuild carb .By the way our gas prices have been increasing the last month and does anybody know why E-85 goes up the same amount as gas?
Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 PM

Because they can do it
Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 AM

for example, the first of numerous future customers brought in an automobile whose fuel pump was shot. A quick diagnosis determined that that particular car had close to 18% ethanol in the fuel. For that unlucky owner, the repairs came to nearly $900. The ethanol fun was just beginning.
WOW, so fuel pumps have never went bad before......

in December he filled up his E85 Flex Fuel Chevy Suburban at the Exxon station in Ovilla, just south of Dallas. His Suburban died on the spot, because even an E85-equipped vehicle will not run on the 100% pure ethanol that Exxon station was pumping that day. In that case it was not Exxon's fault but a mistake at the distribution center
Well, duh.....

In layman's terms, ethanol causes pinpoint leaks in the fuel system
So it couldn't be a Toyota problem, could it....

The writer of that article needs to learn to do better research. All opinion based and no facts at all.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 AM

I'm not a "true believer" in ethanol, because it's economically unsound especially if the price isn't artificially low through pork barrel government subsidies, and my belief that the concept of man-made climate change is a hoax of epic proportions.

Nonetheless, that article is full of fail. Much of the technical misinformation about ethanol is due to confusion with methanol, which is corrosive. Ethanol is not corrosive and it doesn't dissolve most plastics. Many parts of the country, including where I live, have been using E10 for decades without ill effect. Anecdotal information from one mechanic is statistically worthless. Hell, I still hear certified technicians saying how synthetic oil causes leaks, and in 30 years, we'll still be hearing about how Dexcool dissolves gaskets and causes ADHD. Fuel pump failures tend to be up because of the proliferation of high pressure intank pumps that are cheaply made and intolerant of low fuel levels.

Quick Reply: Interesting article on Ethanol