The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Kyle Busch demonstrates what you shouldn't do

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Deceased

Arrow Kyle Busch demonstrates what you shouldn't do

Well a bit of a scandal here in NASCAR country as Kyle Busch found himself on the wrong end of the law today after getting stopped for 128 mph in a 45 mph zone. I know and travel this stretch of road frequently and he's very lucky he didn't kill an innocent person with his antics, but being a NASCAR driver he did get special treatment like avoiding a trip straight to jail.

Link below for the story, things will be interesting to watch as Joe Gibbs and NASCAR deal with this PR disaster.

http://jalopnik.com/5805196/nascars-...ph-in-this-car
Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 PM

He got a speeding ticket. A friend and I got busted by a Texas high patrol doing 115 in a 50. Before he saw us we were busy hitting a speed limiter, a good bit further than 115, he just happened to clock us there. Neither of us went to jail, and I am no celebrity. I wouldn't call it a PR disaster.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 PM

I'd hit 128 out of my driveway if i had access to that bad mudder
f-er

Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 PM

I predict there will be (minor) repercussions at Joe Gibbs Racing.
Gibbs is a straight shooter, but is also pragmatic. He's got a championship to win. I suspect a stern fatherly lecture is in Busch's future.....
Old 05-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Deceased

Well this is a bad stretch of road, its narrow and getting progressively more built up, the intersection where he was clocked is an especially bad one for accidents. There are stepped up patrols on it just for this reason, and those of us with long memories remember that it wasn't too far from this spot where another rising NASCAR star paid the ultimate price. Back in 1990 Rob Moroso crashed in this same area taking his own life and the life of a young mother and nurse named Tammy Williams. Moroso had already been stopped for reckless driving, speeding, and DUI four times before the accident....but due to pressure from NASCAR the charges were either dropped altogether or reduced.

Not to come off as a Busch hater, but these drivers need to act responsibly on public roads, just because you wheel the M&M's Toyota on Sunday you shouldn't get a free pass. Personally I'll be surprised if Busch sees the $1,000+ fine and 12 month suspension that are the minimum penalties for this, and knowing Coach Gibbs, the lecture will be far from Fatherly...Kyle's ears will be ringing.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Banned

Do you think he might be suspended on NASCAR for this?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Deceased

Not likely since this is a civilian matter, but I can imagine there will be some damage control done by NASCAR. This is a big week here for the racing community, and this has given his team and the sport a black eye.

We'll see how this plays out over the next few days, it was bad enough yesterday when NASCAR banned a team member at RCR for failing a drug test, they are putting a real strict face on that deal.

Just don't think I'm getting all prudish on this deal, trust me. As they say, I ain't no saint, and I'm as fond of the "loud pedal" as anyone else here....but I just don't want to see the usual pat on the wrist followed by "bad race car driver, bad boy, don't do that again" perpetrated by NASCAR in the past.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:08 AM

"Here's a supercar. Keep it under the speed limit."

What the hell was Lexus thinking he would do with it?

Honestly. I'm sick of all the attention given to speeders-not all are recklessly ripping down the boulevards or highways. If your car CAN do 90mph, you CAN and in nearly all
cases HAVE exceeded the speed limits at one time or another.

If you can get busted for drug paraphernalia, then you should be busted for owning a car that can speed.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Very sad to see. I say he will probably get community service and a public reprimand with some penalties from nascar.
He should be the last person in this situation, with his connections track time shouldnt have been a problem.
Of course it could also have been the classic jammed accelerator issue, it is a toyota after all.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM

What great publicity for Lexus and their new sports car. This was more like a stunt if you ask me. NASCAR is practically encouraging drivers to fight among themselves this year so this will be great for the ratings.

I continue to be amazed at how many people hate Kyle Busch while he leads the most laps and continues to win week after week in multiple series. The dude is on top right now but gets zero respect while Jr does nothing week after week and remains the most popular driver.

Quick Reply: Kyle Busch demonstrates what you shouldn't do