Low Volt sales - Page 2 - Chevy HHR Network

Go Back  Chevy HHR Network > Community > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Low Volt sales

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Low Volt sales

Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-05-2009
Location: Cahokia IL
Posts: 358
I still stand by my previous claims that GM continued developing and marketing the Volt as a way to insure their taxpayer funded bailout.

http://www.altenergystocks.com/archi...st_fall_1.html

Now, let gas get to be $9 a gallon, and many are predicting that it will, and you might see the Volt see an increase in demand. But the chilling effect on the economy will remove many possible customers from considering it or any other vehicle.
Tominator is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 AM
  #12  
Admin Emeritus
 
843de's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-30-2010
Location: Kannapolis NC
Posts: 25,741
Well if gas hits $9 a gallon, already there in Europe when you figure out the exchange rates on currency and do the math to convert U.S. gallons to Liters, Volt owners will be spending $10 a gallon +.

That itty bitty 1.4 Liter normally aspirated "Range Extension" engine in the Volt requires Premium fuel to keep it happy, and to keep the fuel system functioning properly.
843de is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-17-2006
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 5,956
Over on GMI there are several that own Volt's and are averaging 200+ MPG on daily commutes. We have some in our fleet up in the new england area, some have never refueled in the few month's they agency has had them.

Personally I'd love to own one. With my normal commute, I'd only use about 1 gallon of gas a week, 2 tops. That alone would offset the payments. Electrical cost seem to range less than $2/day. My only gripe with it is it's size. Too small for a "trip" car.

If cost was the conly factor people used to buy a car, everyone would be in a Aveo or Yaris...... Nothing out there compares to the Volt today.
solman98 is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 10-06-2011
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,150
Originally Posted by solman98 View Post
Over on GMI there are several that own Volt's and are averaging 200+ MPG on daily commutes. We have some in our fleet up in the new england area, some have never refueled in the few month's they agency has had them.

Personally I'd love to own one. With my normal commute, I'd only use about 1 gallon of gas a week, 2 tops. That alone would offset the payments. Electrical cost seem to range less than $2/day. My only gripe with it is it's size. Too small for a "trip" car.

If cost was the conly factor people used to buy a car, everyone would be in a Aveo or Yaris...... Nothing out there compares to the Volt today.

For some electric cars might pay off like you say for you. But for me I only use 16-17 gallons of gas PER MONTH so it would have no effect on offsetting cost for me.

You mention payments .... Unless you have $15k to put down or trade you will be looking at $400+ if not $500+. I did a loan calc using $33k for price, $10K down, and 3% interest for 60 months and came up with $476 per month.

Since the car ONLY goes 35 miles before needing gas or recharge I do not see a huge milage window for people to recoop costs. It seems much more of a CHOICE TO RUN GREEN then a true way to save money.

For me I only commute 17 miles round trip per day so I would not need gas but I would still need to recharge each day and that would run me around $1 per day going by your statement. So I would still use $30 per month to operate this car. @ $4 per gallon for comparison I would spend $68 per month on gas for my HHR.

So now with a $38 savings per month I guess I could go out to eat at McyD's once per month but oh yeah I have a HUGE car payment to make so I guess I will be staying home after all.

Oh and there is yet another issue for electric cars. Since they run off of batteries they get their max distance with a full charge and using as little electricity as possible while in use. So if you are like me and like a powerful audio system in your car then you will not be able to get that 35 miles before draining the batteries. This then cuts the savings down even further. So I would either have to accept even shorter range or forgo the system altogether.


For my situation it is a NO BRAINER this car is a NO GO for me.
07azhhr is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-17-2006
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 5,956
Originally Posted by 07azhhr View Post
For some electric cars might pay off like you say for you. But for me I only use 16-17 gallons of gas PER MONTH so it would have no effect on offsetting cost for me.

You mention payments .... Unless you have $15k to put down or trade you will be looking at $400+ if not $500+. I did a loan calc using $33k for price, $10K down, and 3% interest for 60 months and came up with $476 per month.

Since the car ONLY goes 35 miles before needing gas or recharge I do not see a huge milage window for people to recoop costs. It seems much more of a CHOICE TO RUN GREEN then a true way to save money.

For me I only commute 17 miles round trip per day so I would not need gas but I would still need to recharge each day and that would run me around $1 per day going by your statement. So I would still use $30 per month to operate this car. @ $4 per gallon for comparison I would spend $68 per month on gas for my HHR.

So now with a $38 savings per month I guess I could go out to eat at McyD's once per month but oh yeah I have a HUGE car payment to make so I guess I will be staying home after all.

Oh and there is yet another issue for electric cars. Since they run off of batteries they get their max distance with a full charge and using as little electricity as possible while in use. So if you are like me and like a powerful audio system in your car then you will not be able to get that 35 miles before draining the batteries. This then cuts the savings down even further. So I would either have to accept even shorter range or forgo the system altogether.


For my situation it is a NO BRAINER this car is a NO GO for me.
If your not putting any down payment and use your $500/month for a Volt (which is more than anyone I know that has one is paying) If you spent $20K (half the cost of a Volt MSPR, which some can be had now with $6500 + $7500 tax incentive), that leaves $250 for payment. I spend around $200 month on gas in just my car. If we drove the wifes less, I could easily make up that additional $50. And once the car is payed for, well the savings keep going. Battery life is not really an issue, just look at how many 10+ y/o Priuses are still on the road with that style battery. And they still keep running.

As far as running a "system", I stopped wasting money on that years ago. I've lost too much hearing as is.

Each individual has their own situation. Just because it doesn't work for you today, doesn't mean it won't later. When gas hit $5, even $8/gallon, lots of people will wish they had something they could afford to drive, and not just look at because they can't afford the gas for it.

Volt's technology will expand across the makes/models down the road.
solman98 is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 10-06-2011
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,150
You do realize that if gas prices get that high and stay there then electricity prices will follow along with everything else thus the so called savings will end up just being spent on the electricity insted of gas. Yes at a lower cost but it will still go up. My distance to work would have to change for there to be the savings you are saying would be there in that situation.
07azhhr is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:17 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-17-2006
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 5,956
I stated everyone situation is different. What works for you might not work for others. Considering what electricity cost, it's a lot cheaper than gas. Definatley can't drive 35 miles on a dollars worth of gas....
solman98 is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 10-06-2011
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,150
Originally Posted by solman98 View Post
I stated everyone situation is different. What works for you might not work for others. Considering what electricity cost, it's a lot cheaper than gas. Definatley can't drive 35 miles on a dollars worth of gas....

So did I . My response about elec going up was in response to you stating the MY sitution might mot work now but might if gas went up to $8 per gallon so I responded directly to that statement. That is also why I have only stated that this car is not a good fit for ME.



On a different note I have a question about the Volts classification.

How is it an electric car when it has a gasoline engine to keep it going? Doesn't that make it just another variation of the hybrids? Like one article writer called it "A plug-in hybrid". I will say that atleast with this car over a hybrid, you get the option of driving on full electric if you want.
07azhhr is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 04:45 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
HHR_SS_QC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-2009
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 1,097
My dealership got 3 Chevy Volts to sell. They sold none. I went there last sunday, and the 3 Volts were gone. I'm not sure if GM relocated them to other dealerships, but they all disappeared during the course of last week.

Regarding the Volt, I think GM made the right decision to develop the Volt. They had no choice but to develop an electric car.

But in areas (like here in Quebec) where the temperature is very cold, people dont think the battery will last a long time. So, people are scared ****less, just to think about battery maintenance. Replacing the battery in a Volt, will cost a bunch , and this kills the resale value of the car IMHO.
HHR_SS_QC is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-06-2007
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 359
There is no such thing as "running green". The tailpipe emissions that do not come out of a hybrid vehicle have already come out of the exhaust stacks of all of the mining, manufacturing, and electrical generating apparatus that went into the fabrication of the batteries. Why do you think it costs so much to build a hybrid vehicle? When you buy a hybrid or electric vehicle, all you are doing is paying up front and transferring the pollution elsewhere.
kornellred is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low Volt sales


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands