The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Lumina Squeaky Wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM

Lumina Squeaky Wheel...

Hey guys... I know this is an HHR forum, but I'm having some more issues with my Lumina... Besides, it could be just a general car question, not really specific to any car...? That's why I put it in the Lounge...

Not too long ago I noticed a chirping noise coming from what sounds to be the front left (drivers side) wheel. It is related to speed, gets faster or slower as speed increases or decreases. However, it the sound abruptly stops when I apply the brakes, or when I turn to the right.

I really don't think it's the wheel bearing, because it isn't really a grinding noise like they typically make. I was wondering could it be the whole hub assembly?

Now for the probable cause.... Right before I noticed this noise, I accidentally drove off the side of a loading dock (about a 5 foot drop) while going around 15-20mph. (I was in a Meijer parking lot at 2am driving around the back, and there are no lights...never saw it coming). At the time I checked, and I had no damage whatsoever. The alignment was still fine, and all of the suspension was fine. Only damage I did was scuff the front and rear bumper. (How I didn't damage the muffler is puzzling...) Really I don't know how I got away with no damage. Guess I was lucky. Obviously I didn't come away completely undamaged, but it could have been much worse.

So any ideas what might be making this chirping/squeaking noise? Occasionally it will even sound like a creaking/groan noise when going really slow, but the best way to describe it is a chirp. Another thing I noticed was there seems to be excessive brake dust on the right front wheel as well. We took the whole thing apart and can't find anything visually wrong....

Any help is greatly appreciated! Hopefully I didn't leave out anything!

Oh, and before you ask, yes we did check the brake pads. There's lots of pad left, and the little metal thing (sorry, can't remember the name, wear bar?) is no where near touching the rotor...
Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Your second paragraph symptom description makes it sound like a brake job. Wear indicators usually squeak/squeal until the brake pedal is applied, then the noise stops. Of course, the drop off the loading dock may have damaged them.

It's worth pulling the wheels to see. <<<<<<DISREGARD, you already did.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Yeah, we checked the wear indicators, and they are no where near touching the rotor yet. I saw there's a metal plate that is prone to touching behind the rotor, but that too is far away.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 PM

If you put it up on jack stands and spin the wheels can you hear it? Or does it have to be under power and on the ground.......
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 PM

Drive axle on that side-tripod joints screwed up from the drop?

Rim grinding on brake caliper or bent dust shield?

You landed on the wicked witch?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 PM

I can't hear it when I spin the wheel, no. It feels kind of hard to spin, but I can't tell if it's just my imagination or what....

Blacknkight, what did you say? Sorry, but I have no idea...
Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 PM

That rules out dust shield or caliper rubbing. Check the drive axle on the drivers side. The joint that is close to the wheel may have been damaged when the car dropped. The joint usually is referred to a a "tripod" joint 3 points of rollers- or as in a rwd it would be called universal joint 4 points of rollers.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 PM

Hmm.. Well I'll have to check that out tomorrow (getting late tonight).
Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 PM

Check for bearing play while your looking at it. Could be reason there is extra break dust. Jack the car up (safely please-on a stand also) with tire on in the air to see if the wheel moves at strange angles while rocking the tire from side to side, 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock-you get the idea. Also have a buddy watch the axle assembly behind the wheel to see if it moves loosely. Make sure your buddy is not under the car when you rock the tire-unless of course he is the wicked witch from OZ.

Last edited by BlackknighT; 11-18-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: clarification of statement
Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
Check for bearing play while your looking at it. Could be reason there is extra break dust. Jack the car up (safely please-on a stand also) with tire on in the air to see if the wheel moves at strange angles while rocking the tire from side to side, 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock-you get the idea. Also have a buddy watch the axle assembly behind the wheel to see if it moves loosely. Make sure your buddy is not under the car when you rock the tire-unless of course he is the wicked witch from OZ.
I tried that rocking the wheel thing. There's a little bit of play, but there's play on each wheel. (In fact, a little more so on the passenger side...) I'll have to have my dad either do it, or look behind when I do it though to check for movement....

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Lumina Squeaky Wheel...