The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Malibu Maxx SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:48 AM

Malibu Maxx SS

No wonder Chevy got a lot of negative press about overusing the SS badge. On the way to work this morning I look over and saw this Malibu Maxx that had the same SS badging my HRR has. I remember that the previous generation Malibu sedan had an SS version, even though I think it was mostly a trim package (similar to the previous generation Impala and Monte Carlo SS). But I didn't realize the Maxx hatchback had an SS version as well. The Maxx is pretty rare to begin with, and I've never seen a Maxx SS before.

Name:  maxx1.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  28.5 KB

According to this article, the Maxx SS had 240 HP and 240 ft pounds, from a 3.9 L engine:

With a thick spear of chrome splitting its face, the old Maxx looked as if it were wearing orthodontic headgear. For 2006 the Maxx gets a more straightforward array of grilles, and the SS receives extra silver accent rings. It's a simple change that, like having braces removed, works wonders for the smile. The SS also receives a spoiler on the hatch, some rocker cladding below the doors, and a square-jawed front bumper with a chin spoiler and fog lights. Inside the 225/50 Goodyear Eagle LS-2 tires are 18-inch alloy wheels with five very thick, very square spokes that look ready for the big torque.

The SS badge is really about the engine, and at the $24,690 base price (ours had only a $325 satellite-radio receiver increasing its sticker), the Maxx SS gets more of it. This is still a 60-degree iron-block pushrod V-6—and you were expecting . . . what?—but the bores grow by three millimeters and total displacement rises from 3.5 liters to 3.9. A variable-length intake plenum optimizes airflow, and a new variable-valve-timing system rotates the cam to crack open the intake valves (and yes, the exhaust valves, too) earlier or later depending on the motion of your right foot. That's a first for "cam in block" engines, says GM.

Snigger if you wish. Say that's like being first out with a black-and-white plasma-screen TV, but pushrod cam phasing is a new wrinkle worth noting and a widget that even the Corvette doesn't have.

Ultimately, easier breathing is what the fuss is about, and the 3.9 revs hard and fast with an unusually crisp song that we're unaccustomed to in GM's pushrod V-6s. It also doesn't gasp at the far end of the tach, winding to the 6200-rpm redline with a steady, consistent push. We'd be hooting even louder if this 3.9 were making, say, the same 250 horsepower and 242 pound-feet as the overhead-cam 3.5-liter V-6 in the Saturn Vue Red Line. That engine, by the way, is made by Honda, which knows a thing about squeezing out horsepower. Output from the Maxx SS is 240 horses at 5800 rpm and 240 pound-feet of torque at 2800 rpm, which is still an upgrade of 39 horsepower and 19 pound-feet over the 3.5-liter V-6 in the Maxx LT and LTZ.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 AM

They are actually nice cars, fairly reliable, but no SS when compared to the HHR or Cobalt. I almost bought one before the HHR. The engine doesnt feel significantly more powerful and I didnt think the suspension was upgraded at all, although it says so on paper. They did have hydraulic power steering instead of the electric assist for improved feel, but that just seemed to make for more torque steer. Different aluminum wheels like the cobalt SS ones, very minor lower skirts and I think that was it.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 AM

My neice bought a Malibu LTZ and it pushes 250 hp.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:26 AM

My mom loves her Maxx LTZ and dad likes to drive it and likes its spunk for what it is. Dad put that spoiler on for her for the sporty look. At least they made it a functional hatchback versus what they did to the 80's Monte SS Aerocoupe.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:41 AM

I like them, I almost bought one instead of the HHR SS but they are very hard to find.

I like this one:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...r407/bu152.jpg
Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 AM

I rented a Malibu in Dallas a few years ago.

It was, without a doubt, the WORST vehicle I've ever driven. It began to fall apart as soon as I left the airport.

I almost missed my flight because the transmission started slipping out there on the interstate when I was bringing it back. The rental agent deducted a day from my bill.

I know... rental cars are generally horrible, but this was the worst of the worst.

My HHR SS is, thankfully, NOTHING like that lousy Malibu. It's rock solid and a pleasure to drive.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 AM
ecl

I hated the Maxx. I drove one once, not an SS, but just the overall car its self sucked. Now the new Malibus I like and thinking about getting one, but might go with the sister car the Saturn Aura.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:00 AM

The old Malibu was a dependable cheap car. the new car is night and day different. My moms new Bu has the DOHC 3.6 V6 like the Camaro and CTS with around 250 HP. The Six speed tranny is great also has 18 inch wheels and is only a LT. It is more SS than the last one that was an SS.

Imagine if they put a 304 HP DI 3.6 in the Bu and made it an SS.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:18 PM

One of our Officers has a Maxx SS and I think it is pretty cool and functional. He has kids and it seems to be a great compromise of function and sportyness.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:26 PM

[quote=bad03xtreme;386173]I like them, I almost bought one instead of the HHR SS but they are very hard to find.

The 'Bu's are not as hard to find as you may think.
I just did a search for a 500 mi radius and found 80+ Malibu SS' on Autotrader.
I just did the same search for the HHR SS and only found 27.

I also looked at used Malibu SS' and liked them very much, but preferred the HHR SS (obviously, since I bought one). If I was to get a Malibu SS, I'd go for the Maxx (hatchback). The sedans look too much like the old Lumina sedans which are not very aggressive looking.

Quick Reply: Malibu Maxx SS