The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Maxed Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 AM

Maxed Out

So I just watched this video from Netflix called "Maxed Out". It's a documentary on how the middle class is falling into the traps of credit cards and debt in general...

Very good, and makes me really want to go cut up my credit cards...

I don't know though...I just think it would be hard to get rid of them, then try to pay the balances off while using my debit card.... If I do that I won't have like any money for gas and stuff, but it really does get me thinking...
Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
So I just watched this video from Netflix called "Maxed Out". It's a documentary on how the middle class is falling into the traps of credit cards and debt in general...

Very good, and makes me really want to go cut up my credit cards...

I don't know though...I just think it would be hard to get rid of them, then try to pay the balances off while using my debit card.... If I do that I won't have like any money for gas and stuff, but it really does get me thinking...
Got rid of mine about 10 years ago. The only thing I have now is a VISA debit card. Took a little to get use to not having credit cards, but after you do, you have more extra money monthly. If you knew how many people I know that live month to month and use credit cards for everything its pretty
Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 AM

I guess I didn't learn much... I just spent $107 at Pac Sun... But I NEEDED to get 2 bathing suits for spring break, and I don't have that much cash in the bank...so I had to charge them...
Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 AM

I have my debt/credit card from my bank and thats it. I dont spend any more money then what I have. Because of that I have a great credit score and was able to buy the hhr
Old 02-24-2010, 11:26 AM

I guess I didn't learn much... I just spent $107 at Pac Sun... But I NEEDED to get 2 bathing suits for spring break, and I don't have that much cash in the bank...so I had to charge them...
$107 for two pairs of shorts??? and you have no money? hmmm... maybe look for a sale!!

Huge debt-loads is a massive problem. So much so that people are making so many payments that they never can own a house when they should be able to afford a mortgage! Now is an excellent time for those wise enough to stay out of debt, and lucky enough to still have a job, to invest in a house.

The consumer-culture doesn't work. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
$107 for two pairs of shorts??? and you have no money? hmmm... maybe look for a sale!!
Good luck trying to find bathing suits on sale this time of year!

I'm not bragging or anything by any means, but I fell that I am quite responsible. I have had a credit card since I was 16, and I have great credit. Never missed a payment, never been late. The amount of debt has been manageable, higher at times then back down. I have a great credit score, that's how I too was able to buy my HHR at a great APR.

I just still would like to get rid of credit cards, or at least just down to one. I have smaller balances on 3 cards...so even to pay 2 off would be nice at least.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:50 PM

gave up on CC's mostly as well. I have a couple but I don't really use them. The only one that gets any use is the target card so we can get discounts from them.

Other then that it's all debit card. Never carried a balance on a CC though, ever, and the only debt is my student loan and the hhr (at 0%).

Wish we lived where we wanted a house right now, since we would take advantage of our good credit and the fall of the housing market for sure.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM

i cut up the credit card. decided i need to just pay it off.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM

$107 for two bathing suits? And your complaining about no money.

Maybe try WalMart next time.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Maybe try WalMart next time.
Ew! Have you ever seen bathing suits at Walmart? I'd prefer to get with the ladies thank you very much...

Quick Reply: Maxed Out