The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Mobil 1 High Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:11 PM

Mobil 1 High Mileage

So I saw an ad for Mobil 1 High mileage. Wondered if that stuff is any good. I mean, obviously Mobil 1 is good, and I use it in the HHR. But I'm wondering for my Lumina. Currently I use regular 5-30 Pennzoil, with no problems. Would this be something to possibly try? Also, I know you really aren't supposed to use synthetic oil on a car that leaks, and my Lumina has a tiny tiny one...(usually doesn't even hit the ground..just leaks onto the engine slightly). Would this be a problem, and I should stay away from it since it's synthetic, or does anyone know if it's good to use to help lubricate the seals up?

Thanks for any input guys! I know it isn't that hard to put it in and just try it out, but I thought I'd ask first.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:51 PM

Sometimes, switching to synthetic oils in older engines with "small leaks", the detergents in the oil will looses the gunk at the point of the leak, causing a gusher of a leak. If the Penzoil is working for you,I'd stay with it..just my 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Although it is done switching to Syn on hi milers, your weep/leak would likely get worse..

Stick to what Ur running, imo..
Old 12-01-2009, 10:00 PM

Ok, that's kinda what I had thought. Thanks guys!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 PM

Heck I use walmart full synthetic (which is made by a major oil company for walmart) in all my cars for the last 10 years, along with a purolator pure one oil filter. My engines that I have had to go in to work on look like new. Used it on my last new vehicle from the first oil change till I traded it in, never had one engine problem in 5 years.

As far as I know all the high mileage motor oils do is recondition your seals, supposedly?

Also I only use regular motor oil for new motor build break in periods.

You can also go to a little bit thicker oil to help with seeps, just keep in mind it will be harder to start when its cold out and your oil pressure will be higher.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 PM

The "High Mileage" motor oils, being synthetic or not have an additive in them specially designed for older engines. They are formulated to address aged seals and gaskets., That's one of the main reasons for "High Mileage" criteria. It states that on the container. Hope that helps.

P.S. Who knows just what that really is, it could be a few drops of brake fluid (which would probably do the same thing to the seals and gaskets). However, I would not recommend doing that on your own.

Last edited by harleysshhr; 12-02-2009 at 08:51 PM.