The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Need a quick proof read

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
I bet local merchants, once reading that letter, might even donate a bike to Chase!
Heck, I'll chip in a few bucks myself!

My father used to place his business cards in the seat post down tube of my bikes as a kid. In the event they were ever stolen and recovered, it served as proof of some sort of ownership!
We registered the bike with the police department so they have all of the seriel number/color info stuff on file. We learned about that when his first bike was stolen.

Personally I would like to just throttle whomever did this. I suspect it's just a bunch of kids who were out walking around and thought it'd be easier to swipe a bike than to keep hoofing it. But then again, I can imagine that your average ordinary kid would have the ba lls to just stroll up onto someone's porch and take something.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MiDan
Actually, it's fairly well done. If you wanted to add more empahsis, I'd suggest changing the line "...if your intention was to hurt someone’s feelings or make them feel bad, you failed."
You could finish the line this way: "...if your intention was to hurt someone’s feelings or make them feel bad: You failed."
Of course, I don't know that someone who would steal a child's bike from a neighbor's porch would understand the difference, or be worth the trouble.
LOL! I had second thoughts about even having it in the paper because chances are the theif doesn't/can't read the paper. But then I thought if it is a kid that took it perhaps his/her parents might read it and put two and two together.

Keeping my fingers crossed anyway.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:41 PM

In the summer of 85, we lived in Wichita around Wesley Hospital.

My son ran his brand spankin new bike up ino the front yard and
came in to drink a drink of water.

When he went back, his bike had been taken.
We were both heart broken. He was just learning how to do some
"styling" moves on it. He also was 9.

The WPD siad they did not have the time to come out and speak to
us about it, as they were "too busy"

Shortly thereafter we moved to a house in the Haysville school district.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by galladanb
In the summer of 85, we lived in Wichita around Wesley Hospital.

My son ran his brand spankin new bike up ino the front yard and
came in to drink a drink of water.

When he went back, his bike had been taken.
We were both heart broken. He was just learning how to do some
"styling" moves on it. He also was 9.

The WPD siad they did not have the time to come out and speak to
us about it, as they were "too busy"

Shortly thereafter we moved to a house in the Haysville school district.
Taken in just the time it took him to get a drink of water? Good heavens! They must have been staking him out or something.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in the Wichita city limits. No offense to anyone on here who might live there. We're actually in Winfield which is far enough away to be smalltown safe (except for bike thieves) but close enough that we can commute (hubby) and shop there.

Chase has been doing "tricks" on his bike. He has a Dave Mirrah video game and thinks its fun to try to similate some of the things they do. It makes me a nervous wreck to watch him!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:35 PM

Yea, I'm thinkin they watched him go in and then snagged it.

I know where Winfield is, been there and got lotsa sunburn on
the lake there. Too cool!

One of my brothers ex's still lives there as well, but of course
we don't speak...

But now we be in Tenn, where more than one tooth is considered "Bling!"
(No offense intended, right???)

(Actually the tooth brush was invented in Portland, Tn and if the guy
had had one more tooth it would have been called a "teethbrush..."

OMG, I'm so bad!!!!

When we come Doo Dah way later this year we have to loook ya up!!!!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Deceased

if you send me an email through here with your address , i will be glad to donate some money to Chase to get him another or donate to the ability to lock it somehow on the porch.

My son got ripped off buying a Nintendo gamecube. i was lucky enough to find out the guys address and phone #, set up another purchase and this time the police picked him up at the Western Union office and arrest him.

he didnt get his money back cept for the 2nd purchase but we did get the guy arrested. Granpa got him a game cube.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Founding Member

Chip in

Ditto CJ!

I'd like to chip in as well...
Click to send a private message of where I can snail mail it to.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:12 PM

Holy crap! LMAO! I've been trying to get on all evening to update but the forum wasn't working for me?

This is a long one so grab a snack! LOL

You are NEVER going to believe this! My husband came barging through the door tonight about half an hour later than he usually gets in. He said "call the police, I know where Chase's bike is!" He had been driving down the street towards the house and saw a kid on a bike that looked like Chase's. The kid was going the other way so my husband nonchalantely took a few turns and followed him. The kid went to a convenience store, came out and headed back from where he came. Hubby followed fighting every urge he had to jump out of his car and confront him. Sure enough the kid finally stopped at a house ON THE SAME BLOCK where we live! (we're on the SE corner of the block, he stopped on the NW corner)

I called the police and asked what we could do. The officer asked a few questions including whetere or not we had registered it. When I told him yes you could hear the excitement in his voice! LOL He said "let me check it out and I'll get back to you".

Chase was playing outside during all of this so we decided not to tell him anything. I didn't want him to get his hopes up. About 20 minutes after I hung up with the police I looked out the front window just in time to see a patrol car turn the corner and pull up in front of our house. Chase watched him and as he pulled up past him Chase saw that his trunk was popped and there was a bike in it. I could live a million years and never forget the look on his face when he realized it was HIS BIKE!

The officer said it was a 13 year old kid who lives about 8 blocks from us. The kid and his friends said that another kid "gave him the bike because he didn't want it anymore". Now whether that is true or not only God and that kid knows, but even the policeman said "Yeah, you know that aint right". They didn't do anything to the kid though I am hopeful they'll at least go talk to his parents. The officer did say that he thought the kid got the snot scared out of him and that he hoped he wouldn't do anything like that again.

The bike, however is a mess. They pulled all of the graphics off of it. They tried to file off the seriel numbers. Luckily they did a poor enough job of it that enough numbers were visible enough to verify ownership. They took his lock off (that should have been locked to the porch but was instead wrapped around the seat). And they took off the chain guard and kick stand.

We went and bought a new lock (I pitched in enough to cover getting a good one) and it's locked up safe tonight. Chase told me that he didn't think he would be able to sleep well tonight because he thinks they'll try to steal it back. His dad assured him that they'd have to tear the whole porch off to get it.

Chase is going to keep working to save up in hopes of replacing some parts they removed and fixing it up in general. He said he might even like to get it painted a different color. But all in all we're just happy he got it back!

And BTW, I'm going to call the newspaper first thing in the morning and see if I can add something to the bottom of my letter stating that the bike has been recovered, praising the police department and encouraging everyone to register they're bicycles.

Night folks!! We're all going to bed happy here tonight.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:32 PM

That's such great news. I can only imagine the look on his face when the cops pulled it out of their trunk. Glad to hear this had somewhat of a happy ending and that all it needs now is a few parts and some TLC. Tell Chase we're all very happy for him.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Founding Member

Thats great. I like happy endings!

I would watch out for that group of kids though! They may pick on Chase in the neighborhood and at school over the next 10 years. Knowing it was because of the 'bike incident' they got into trouble not reallizing the troubles were of their own doing.

I had kids like that in my neighborhood. They picked on my son and such.
They are all adults now, moved away and the neighborhood has changed for the good.
In the long run... LOL, well, one is in jail for attempted murder and the others are in jail for other crimes they have commited. My son is a United States Marine! Good prevailed in the long run!

Quick Reply: Need a quick proof read