The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

New 2014 Z/28 to start at $75,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:44 PM

One has to put this car in the proper perspective. This is a race car that is just barely street legal.

Yes that is a big price but it has the best of everything to make it go fast around a track and to do so for many times more than one lap.

You want things like Ceramic brakes and the other expensive bits they will cost money. Take them away and you will have just another sticker SS car.

This is not a car meant for everyone. It is a car that is intended for people who may have spent $150K-200K for a Tuner car somewhere. It is to show this car is a real sports coupe and not just a so called Pony car based on a econobox. The Camaro stopped being a Pony car in 1982 and the next model is going to be sold globally as a real performance coupe. This is not the old crude slap the big bars on it and big tires and thrill the guy in the trailer park car. This is a true well tuned coupe that could compete with many other cars that cost much more and do not carry more than 2 people.

I really expect we will see these cars at Daytona 24 Hours and other like races where they still have a stock based class and this car will not just run with the others but will be very competitive. The key here is they generally restrict the engine intakes to hold the power but this time GM has a suspension that will keep the car fast in the corners where it had to slow before.

There is more to this car than many think.

If it is too much then the SS is still out there and available. With this car there will be parts that will be made available to put on your SS to make it better as you go too. We are seeing this now with the 1LE and ZL1 parts available from GM Performance.

The first thing we all need to do is to remember this is not the 3rd Gen Z/28 and this car is more a 67 first gen where it was meant for the track and racers only. As race cars of this ability go $75K is a bargain.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:32 PM

Another option for a track day car is to buy the body in white, outfit it with similar goodies and beefy motor, I'm pretty sure that would cost thousands more, and you have to worry about licensing. . And this is gm afterall, sticker price is just a starting point and depreciation is a given, even with limited edition performance cars.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Another option for a track day car is to buy the body in white, outfit it with similar goodies and beefy motor, I'm pretty sure that would cost thousands more, and you have to worry about licensing. . And this is gm afterall, sticker price is just a starting point and depreciation is a given, even with limited edition performance cars.

It would be cheaper and easier to just buy a used Camaro if you want it on the street.

The body in White is mostly for drag cars that are run in Super Stock etc where they only need the body and toss everything else. Also they are never intended for the street.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

going a bit off topic here..but for that money, i would drop it on a Nissan GTR if i want to track/race something...costs the same, its much faster, AWD and it has air conditioning lol
I honestly doubt many people will buy this..i dont see many camaros in general around here where I live
Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by skyline26
going a bit off topic here..but for that money, i would drop it on a Nissan GTR if i want to track/race something...costs the same, its much faster, AWD and it has air conditioning lol
I honestly doubt many people will buy this..i dont see many camaros in general around here where I live
There may not be many Camaros up North but there's a boatload of them down here on the roads.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 2manyvans
Imagine all of the mods that you can do to an HHR for $75,000 !
Originally Posted by Oldblue
An HHR SS $15,000 and a approximately $60,000 left over for mods or an annuity to draw for the interest to pay for insurance for the next 15 to 20 years!!
Despite my fondness for them, I am not sinking 75k in an HHR. That's more than the combined msrp's of our GTO and Benz..
Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Let me say I don't fit the demographics to which this would be marketed. While waxing back nostaligically, I reminise of a Z28 as being more available to the masses.

Rather than resurrect an older model designation that is not what it was, Guberment Mtrs IMHO would have been better off calling this a COBO SL (street legal), at least then the market might have thought they were getting a bargain.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 PM

Sorry but the Z/28 originally was a option package that made the Camaro Track ready for racing in the Trans Am series back in 1967-68-69. The original cars were gutted down Camaro's that came 4 speed only with little to no options and special engine and suspension parts. They were offered with cold air intakes, cross rams and a even rear disc brakes.

GM did this option to make it legal for people like Penske/Donohue to race in Trans Am and win the series for three straight years.

In 1970 the car was still pretty good but more options were offered and as time went on the car became a decal car with less and less performance. In fact GM dropped it for several years because it was too silly to offer it as a decal only car.

Later performance came back but the Z/28 lost it's way and just became a mass market performance car and the SS became the performance option just the opposite of what it used to originally be.

Names are names and just depending on how you remember the history is how you will feel about it. The formula now is back to what it originally was again and those who do not know their Camaro history just miss the point like on other things.

And it is General Motors.

As for GTR being faster I would not be too sure of that. The similar prices GTR will do the Ring in 7:28 in the dry and the Z/28 did it in 7:37 in the rain. Now the Nissan GTR Nismo will go much faster but also is about $25,000 more starting at MSRP of $99,590.

To put the Camaro time in perspective here is the list

http://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-t...times-top-100/

GM has a video of the Camaro lap and as they said and you can see there is more time to be had on a dry track.

Rain starts at 6:15 and this was not some hotshoe racer but it was a GM Suspension Engineer in a totally stock car and the tires that are OE.

I would recommend everyone watch the lap to really understand what this car is about. You also will understand why there is not much of a stereo as a GTR never sounded this good.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by toolbender
Let me say I don't fit the demographics to which this would be marketed. While waxing back nostaligically, I reminise of a Z28 as being more available to the masses.

Rather than resurrect an older model designation that is not what it was, Guberment Mtrs IMHO would have been better off calling this a COBO SL (street legal), at least then the market might have thought they were getting a bargain.
You mean COPO? Which stood for "Central Office Production Order" back in the day. Wasn't aware that the designation still existed. Some interesting Chevelles, Camaros, Novas, were built under the COPO designation. I even recal there being COPO Corvairs(!).
Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
You mean COPO? Which stood for "Central Office Production Order" back in the day. Wasn't aware that the designation still existed. Some interesting Chevelles, Camaros, Novas, were built under the COPO designation. I even recal there being COPO Corvairs(!).
Chevy already sells a COPO version of the most recent Camaro. It is a drag package that even comes on slicks. They only offer about 50 a year and you have to be a racer to get one. The cost more than the Z/28 but come with all the track items and are ready to race.

No it is not street legal.

I have a co worker who has one and races on a semi pro level.

Quick Reply: New 2014 Z/28 to start at $75,000