The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

New HHR Owner - Viva Las Vegas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:19 AM

Talking New HHR Owner - Viva Las Vegas!!!

Hey there, everyone! Parrothead checking in from Fabulous Las Vegas, NV !

I've got to say that it was a sad day a couple of weeks ago when my 2002 Cavalier was damaged in a high-speed crash on I-15 near the Spaghetti Bowl. Nobody was hurt and the car drove fine, but I just didn't know what had been damaged and might fail down the road. This being Nevada, it's easy to find yourself in a remote location and I just couldn't trust her anymore. I'd had that car for over six years and in 93,000 miles she'd barely given me any trouble. OK, so what if the AC wouldn't work below 40 MPH if the temp was over 85 degrees and I live in the desert? So what if I smelled a bit of coolant? Big deal that the speedometer would either read zero or 50 MPH too fast on cold mornings, right? Even with all that, she never failed to get me where I needed to go, got good gas mileage, and she was PAID OFF!!!

Well, the insurance company declared the Cavalier a total loss and I decided that my stimulus check was just in time to help out with buying a new car. My list included the Cobalt, Scion Xb, PT Cruiser, and HHR. I knew I wanted stick and LS for the price and that the loyalty cash would help, so the Chevy dealership would be my first stop. I just moved to the north side of town and while grabbing the mail at the old place for the last time, I saw some business cards on the bulletin board for Vista Chevrolet near my new place - this seemed to be a sign of a good thing!

I have to confess that back when I got my Cavalier in 2001, I was in the car business selling Chevys down in SoCal, so I know what it's like on the other side of the coin and figured I'd reward some initiative (putting out business cards) with at least asking for the guy by name. I've also got to say that this was the first time I bought a new car from someone other than myself, so I was just a bit nervous

Robert Nelson was with other clients at a sister store when I showed up, so Sean (sorry - forgot his last name!) helped me out. I really wanted something with more room than my two door Cavalier, so I was leaning towards the HHR, but there was also the yellow LS Cobalt stick on the showroom floor... Decisions, decisions I tell ya!

I took a good look at the Cobalt, but we headed out to the HHRs and Sean was truly surprised that they actually had the Cardinal Red Metallic LS stick that I saw online, but there it was! We got the keys to that along with the Equinox and Cobalt that were blocking the way and I helped put the Equinox away (old habits from long ago still die hard) before we took the HHR out for a spin.

The Cavalier was black on black (I lived in San Diego when I bought it) and I knew I didn't want that again. OK, so the HHR is red with dark interior - I could live with that

I was hooked on the test drive and even though I didn't know how much the insurance company was going to give me for the Cavalier, I figured stimulus check ($600) + $400 minimum for my car = $1000 down and livable payments, so I cleaned my stuff out of the Cavalier and drove the HHR home Saturday night !

I took my friend out in it Sunday night - down to In & Out on Trop just of the 15 (the one with the big neon sign) and then over to the Imperial Palace to visit my roommate's sister who works as a "dealertainer" before going up to the auto collection to drool over cars that cost several times more than the P-40 Warhawk I want along with the training to fly it.

So far it's got about 100 miles on the clock and I just keep on loving it more and more! The Cavalier was a base model, so I'm still trying to get used to things like remote keyless entry, power windows, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, and On Star!

I'm not sure about mods yet, but as soon as I find my battery chargers (digital camera's power hungry), I'm going to take my new HHR down to the famous Las Vegas welcome sign and get some cool pics !

Thanks for creating such a great forum and I hope to see y'all around the boards !

PS - I got the amount of my payout from the insurance company today. I was expecting $500 to $1000, but they're giving me $2900 after salvage and deductible - WOO HOOOOO !!!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:17 AM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 16
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 AM

Too bad u didn't take the SS out for a test drive.
Enjoy the ride!!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 AM

WELCOME!!!

Glad you found us...

Last edited by SindyDix; 05-13-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: reduced picture size
Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 AM

HillsdaleHHR - Thanks for the welcome!

Cokeybill - I hear ya, but that would've been a big mistake on my part and a very expensive one at that ! I can only imagine the speeding tickets, cost of premium gas, car payments, and insurance !!! Once I drove one, I'd just have to buy it - no way around it!

Big Kahuna - FINS UP !!! You just know you're in the right place when fellow Parrot Heads crop up in the membership ! [EDIT] OK, that pic of Jimmy with the surfboard just loaded (I'm on dialup for a while longer) and now it's even better to be here - anywhere with Jimmy in flip flops with a surfboard has got to be good !

Thanks again everyone for the big welcome! It makes tonight much better and more bearable. See, my roommate is the live-in manager for a storage facility so we live onsite in an attached apartment. Yes, it's great not having to pay rent (I kick her some money) or utilities. But there are downsides. The fire alarm just went off at about 0250 hrs. and we had to call someone to figure out how to silence the audible alarms, then we investigated, smelled something (not quite smoke or electrical, but weird enough), felt heat, and called the fire department. No trouble found and they left about 0445 after a thorough investigation. I might get back to sleep by 0600, but at least I already called up work to let 'em know I'll be late.

So thanks for bringing my spirits back up !
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the site!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 AM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 21
Size:  38.2 KB

I'll keep you in mind at the end of the month when I make my next trip to......

Name:  mv.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  15.3 KB
Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 AM

Hey Parrothead! Welcome to the HHR family and welcome to this site! We love pics...so crank up the ol' Brownie and snap a few shots of the new ride for all to see.
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 PM

Tony_SS - Thanks!!! So far I love both this place and my new HHR

jx3 - And I'll remember you when I go down there this weekend - I hear the Margaritaville here in Las Vegas is now serving breakfast Have a great time down there

Docwylie - Thanks to you, too! Not to worry - I'll have pics as soon as possible Now, if I could only register my HHR in the Conch Republic instead of Nevada .....

Last edited by Parrothead; 05-13-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Had to fix smilie
Old 05-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Welcome!!!! I just know you're going to love it here!!! Here's my front plate:

Viva Las Vegas fershure!

Quick Reply: New HHR Owner - Viva Las Vegas!!!