The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

New Seatbelt LAw as of Sept. 1st

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 AM

I hadn't heard about that. It had been anyone in the front seats has to wear one. I don't think I've ever worn one in a back seat before. Not that I drive from the back seat much.

Mowgli, 20 wrecks? Dang dude, you're a friggin menance. You should probably be riding the bus.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM

In addition to this new law in Texas, also, if driving through a reduced school zone, no handheld cell phone usage. Signs must be posted, however.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by wxman
Mowgli, 20 wrecks? Dang dude, you're a friggin menance. You should probably be riding the bus.
Sorry Mowgli, but what wxman posted, now that's funny.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Seat belts in Texas? Wow. What next? Warning labels on cigarettes?
Warning labels? Get a rope!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lutheran
In addition to this new law in Texas, also, if driving through a reduced school zone, no handheld cell phone usage. Signs must be posted, however.
In New York, talking on a cell phone when driving is now up to a $140 fine. Hands-free/bluetooth is OK.

Along that line (not to hijack) - anyone ever figured out how to disable bluetooth on cars so you can private-chat? Are all cars different?

See what I mean on this seat belt issue? Will always be two opinions on this one.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
Your kidding right? You are upset about safety?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 PM

I know I will get some heat on this one, BUT why is it mandatory that we need to wear seat belts and motorcyclists do not have to wear helmets??

They used to have to wear helmets in Wisconsin but several years ago they whined and bit*hed about it and so now they don't.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Sorry Mowgli, but what wxman posted, now that's funny.
Most of them were my fault too.
Most were from drinking/drugging, some just plain aggressive.
Sober 21 years now and haven't had a wreck in a long, long time.
I had safe driver points until I got 2 speeding tickets since getting my HHR
Old 08-25-2009, 10:37 PM

My thought..

after having driven a Tow Truck for many many years. I have seen more people die from not wearing their seatbelt and only one person die from being retained..

conclusion..just wear your seatbelts

Massachusetts has a secondary seatbelt law, which means they can't pull you over for not wearing it, they can only ticket you if they pull you over for another violation first, then they can ticket you.

But I wear mine even if I go down the street.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by donbb82
I know I will get some heat on this one, BUT why is it mandatory that we need to wear seat belts and motorcyclists do not have to wear helmets??

They used to have to wear helmets in Wisconsin but several years ago they whined and bit*hed about it and so now they don't.
This is my only problem w/ making you wear seatbelts. WI just passed where you can get pulled over for not having them on, but motorcyclist dont need helmets. At least i have a windshield and and stearing wheel to keep me in the vehicle. But i guess a helmet for a motorcyclist in a severe accident is only the difference between and open or closed casket. I always were my seatbelt no matter what and have even got my wife to do the same. When we first started dating she never wore hers, now she always does cuz I would bug her and/or stop in the middle of the road until she put it on. I think everyone should wear them, but it is not the governments job to take away our choice. Whats next helmets in the car? Maybe when traveling over a certain speed? I bet we could save even more lives if people were required to wear helmets in a vehicle.

Quick Reply: New Seatbelt LAw as of Sept. 1st