The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

The new SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Founding Member

Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 AM

I thought GM said they would not make it unless Nascar went back to using actual production looking race cars like back in the day? That does not look like the SS but does look like all the other race cars with just the front fascia of the production car.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
I thought GM said they would not make it unless Nascar went back to using actual production looking race cars like back in the day? That does not look like the SS but does look like all the other race cars with just the front fascia of the production car.
The new generation(6?) car for NASCAR is a total different body. Each of the manufacturers now have their own distinct body panels. Not like the previous bodies where they all adhered to 1 templet.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM

Yes I see that they copy the front fascia and the taillights and the rear qtr window shape and for the Dodge they include the side indents but it is still a common shared body with the exact same roof line as one another. the lengths are even the same. the wheelbase seems to be the same as well. I pulled up pics of the Camary, Charger, Fusion, and the SS in both the Nascar versions and the production models and compared them. I can see that the roof line is identical on all the Nascar versions with the rear most part ending at the same spot on the car in each of them. They all have trunk lines that do not match the production cars too.

When I said like back in the day I am meaning when it really was about the manufacturer and not having everything be the same. These new cars are just a few distinct body shapes but I guess that is a start. It is certainly better then the slap a sticker on it and try to fool us like the last couple decades.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

"Ain't nothing stock about a stockcar." :Robert Duval in 'Days of Thunder'.

Nascar has to keep certain shapes and measurements the same for all the different brands. Don't want to give one an advantage(like aero) over the others.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
"Ain't nothing stock about a stockcar." :Robert Duval in 'Days of Thunder'.

Nascar has to keep certain shapes and measurements the same for all the different brands. Don't want to give one an advantage(like aero) over the others.
To me I think that having them be close to stock helps to push the manufactures to do better. If they are all the same regardless of the production version then what pushes the manus to want to do better?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM

I think this is boring. There is nothing special about this design. What's with Chevy and their designs lateley? I'd call this the Chevy ZZ.