The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

New York State Inspection changing

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:37 PM

New York State Inspection changing

For those of you who live in NY, you know that state vehicle inspections are an annual checkup on your car, to deem it safe or unsafe for the road. Today I am getting the SS inspected by the corner mechanic that I've known and trusted for a long time...According to my corner mechanic, the process is changing a bit. He says that at the beginning of November, all vehicle inspections are to be recorded via webcam, streaming live, which he will wear on his head/neck. Then, on the other side of the camera, is a NY state "official" who watches what the mechanic does to inspect all of the vehicles components, and may ask them to go over things more than once.

He is not happy about it. He had to buy a computer system with the camera for about $1500 to stay open as a registered shop..

This changes a lot of things for us mod men...

Illegal (and popular) in NY:
ANY darkened headlights, taillights, side markers, and blinkers. Tint on the front window that exceeds 6" from the top of the window. Tint cannot go below 70% of light transmitted on all side windows. Exhaust cut outs, removal of cats, and mufflers is illegal.

These are some of the most popular vehicle visual mods. My Mechanic would test emissions (because they have to), but would tell me that any mod that I did was "after" he inspected it (smoked taillights was the one he was referring to that would fail). A lot of people know a mechanic that lets the little things slide, and some mechanics hand out inspection stickers like candy, so I guess this will be coming to an end for most of us....
Old 10-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

I'm NOT in NY. But that does not seem practical.

There must be hundreds, if not thousands, of certified inspection stations. If the inspection is done LIVE, with a LIVE state official on the other end, that would mean your state would need to hire and train hundreds of "certified" inspectors. Unless the state is raising the inspection price considerably, to cover these costs, I can't see that scenario.

I have no idea of the current time element, but I can foresee additional time for the mechanics and the state employees. If your state does this, it appears as the typical political boondoggle that received "lobbyist" money, without end user contact........kind of like the recent health care challenge.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:12 PM

I agree..Its not even close to practical...

The way people procrastinate, there would be times of the month where these service shops would be doing inspections multiple times a day. I dont see how they could possibly watch everyone
Old 10-12-2013, 09:13 PM

Definitely doesn't sound practical at all.

I would really be shocked if something like this ever actually goes live
Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Deceased

Me thinks he was blowing smoke, here's the official NY state guide for inspection stations including equipment requirements. No mention of real time monitoring via webcams......

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/repairshop.htm
Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Me thinks he was blowing smoke, here's the official NY state guide for inspection stations including equipment requirements. No mention of real time monitoring via webcams......

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/repairshop.htm
I wish he was...he spent $1500 on stuff he needed from NYS for inspections...he was pretty PO'd about it...supposed to start in november
Old 10-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Deceased

I wonder if he had to upgrade to the mandated NYVIP equipment, but I haven't found any requirements for real time video monitoring.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
I wonder if he had to upgrade to the mandated NYVIP equipment, but I haven't found any requirements for real time video monitoring.
I found this http://www.nyvip.us/interior/dmvmsg-view.php?msgid=312

In the article it includes the list of stuff he purchased...
What equipment does the base NYVIP2 include?

· Dell PC
· HP 19” monitor
· Web Camera
· Xenon Barcode Scanner
· OBDII interface (data acquisition device)
· Okidata Printer
Old 10-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Deceased

Good question, will have to dig into this further, sounds like the system will be a PITA for sure.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:18 PM

You shoulda heard the outrage in VA when they mandated dynos for emissions testing. Until they found out they could charge $30 more. But it adds 30 minutes to the test, that's MY time, if a few are in front of you that's a long wait. Thankfully I live 1 mile south of the smog line, no emissions for me!

Quick Reply: New York State Inspection changing