The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Pearl Harbor Day, take a moment

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM

Pearl Harbor Day, take a moment

Remembrance of the "Day that shall live in Infamy". I don't understand why this isn't a day that we set aside to remember what happened 66 years ago! My FLAG will be at half staff today. and I will remember what happened. For those that will ask " What is this day"?
DEC 7, 1941 Pearl Harbor was Bombed and we entered into WW2.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:03 AM

*bows in a moment of silence*

We do have the day set aside for rememberance. The question is already answered in your thread. Alot of the younger generation (my age, actually) don't really have a clue. It saddens me to know this. This is OUR history, as well as OUR future.

What REALLY pissses me off and I truly do not intend to offend anyone by saying this: Wht the hell does the country "shut down" for MLK day, yet on VETERAN'S DAY, nada???? If it weren't for the Vets, MLK wouldn't have been allowed to stand freely on that podium....

My Flag is ALWAYS flying, but have no way of lowering to half staff. But those will be remembered, as well as honored.

Thank you to all of the WWII vets. You are not forgotten.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wodinator
*bows in a moment of silence*

What REALLY pissses me off and I truly do not intend to offend anyone by saying this: Wht the hell does the country "shut down" for MLK day, yet on VETERAN'S DAY, nada???? If it weren't for the Vets, MLK wouldn't have been allowed to stand freely on that podium....
I began to say something like that but thought some may not like what I had to say about that, so I changed my mind and made things short. I looked at all the calendars in our house and none had it marked . Lets just take that moment of silence as you said.

Last edited by an08HHR; 12-07-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 AM

I've been watching stuff about pearl harbor since about 7:30 this morning. I haven't even gotten up to go outside and have a smoke.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:47 AM

This day in 1941 changed the world as we know it, yet people always seem to forget!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by jeffs396
This day in 1941 changed the world as we know it, yet people always seem to forget!
Most people just don't seem to understand anything about history, and to know where we are going we must know where we've been.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:27 AM
jx3

Name:  halfstaff.gif
Views: 73
Size:  14.2 KB
Old 12-07-2007, 01:05 PM

On the morning of December 7th, a peaceful tranquil exploded from the surprise attack of Japanese planes that came in two waves; the first at 7:55 AM, the second at 8:55. Along with the ships in Pearl Harbor, the air stations at Hickam, Wheeler, Ford Island, Kaneohe and Ewa Field were attacked. For two hours and twenty minutes, Japanese aircraft bombed and strafed these military targets. By 9:55 it was all over. By 1:00 PM the carriers that launched the planes from 274 miles off the coast of Oahu were heading back to Japan.

Behind them they left chaos: 2,335 dead servicemen, 1,178 wounded, 640 unaccounted for, 48 civilians killed. 188 planes had been destroyed and 18 ships of different sizes had been sunk or damaged, including 8 damaged or destroyed battleships. Only 29 Japanese aircraft were shot down by American return fire, most during the attack of the second wave.

Word of the attack reached President Roosevelt as he lunched in his oval study on Sunday afternoon. Later, Winston Churchill phoned to tell him that the Japanese had also attacked British colonies in southeast Asia and that Britain would declare war the next day. Roosevelt responded that he would go before Congress the following day to ask for a declaration of war against Japan. Churchill wrote: "To have the United States at our side was to me the greatest joy. Now at this very moment I knew the United States was in the war, up to the neck and in to the death. So we had won after all!.... Hitler's fate was sealed. Mussolini's fate was sealed. As for the Japanese, they would be ground to powder."

On Monday, FDR signed the declaration of war granted by Congress. One day later both Germany and Italy, as partners of Japan in the Tripartite Pact, declared war on the United States.

LET'S NEVER FORGET PEARL HARBOR

PERSONAL THANKS AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL OUR VETERAN HEROES OF WWII

Old 12-07-2007, 01:26 PM

If you have never been to Pearl, it is a pretty sobering experience...even to this day seeing where all the ships were tied up....when I was flying in we banked right over Pearl and you could see the Arizona on the bottom...the Mighty Mo was berthed there to make it look even more like 1941.....I could imagine the view I had was similar to the Zero's and Kates all those years ago....sent shivers up my spine

Goose
Old 12-07-2008, 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=Big Kahuna;217667][CENTER]

PER
Originally Posted by jeffs396
Yes, and another year has gone by and the number of those who fought in WW11 are become fewer every day.

Quick Reply: Pearl Harbor Day, take a moment