The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Perception, Taste & Priorities

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:27 PM

As a native East Coaster (born and raised in the New York City Metro area) I may be able to add a little local perspective on this. Aside from the logical arguments for people generally ignoring this performance - in a hurry, not their style of music, etc., the passersby are observing the normal public social etiquitte for that part of the country. The following etiquitte is based on fear and suspicion: #1-Don't talk to strangers, even if they instigate the conversation (they're sizing you up as an easy mark); #2-Don't look at strangers (you're asking for trouble); #3-If you violate rule #2 DON'T get caught making eye contact (now you have insulted them and are REALLY asking for trouble); #4-NEVER, EVER mess with crazy people (they're totally unpredictable). In this scenario rules #2, #3, and especially #4 apply.

Thankfully I now live where more civilized social rules are the norm, but on the rare occasion when I do have to go back East survival instinct kicks in and I immediately revert to my initial programming and act like the rest of the herd.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:52 AM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
I would have stopped and listened. And if I didn't have any money to give him, I would have told him that I didn't have anything to give him, but his performance was wonderful! He might have appreciated that more than a dollar tossed in his case.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:08 AM

And another point was missed....how many of those people passing by played the stereo type card and "assumed" he was just another street musician making a buck..we are conditioned now to treat these as tolerable nusisances and react accordingly...thus the money thrown withput a glance....
Old 11-05-2009, 07:04 PM

Maybe displays like this oblivion is why more people don't drive HHRs!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by 87silver
Maybe displays like this oblivion is why more people don't drive HHRs!