The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Pet teeth cleaning with anesthesia (Warning)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Pet teeth cleaning with anesthesia (Warning)

I know many of you have dogs, and I want to warn you about the dangers of the use of Anesthesia to clean the dogs teeth. If I had known 1 in 200 dogs die from this so called simple procedure, I would never have had it done. Yes I said 1 in 200.
We dropped our very healthy 8 year old Jack Russell Terrier "Jake" for a routine dental cleaning at 8 am yesterday. At 1 pm I got a call that I thought would be the call to pick him up. (I wanted to get him home before the Blizzard really got going). Instead, I got a call I never thought possible. The vet told me she had some bad news. I just figured the next words would be that he needed some teeth removed. Instead she said that there was a problem with the anesthesia and he went into cardiac arrest, and died. I dropped to my knees pounding the floor and screaming NO! I am not sure how long I was there. Phyllis called shortly after to ask me if Jake was ready to come home, she would take the trip with me, that she was getting out of work early. I should have gotten an Oscar for my performance on the phone, as I did not want my wife driving home in a snow storm with that on her mind. I told her he was fine. Once I told her, I realized she would never would have made it out of the parking lot, let alone have made it home. There was nothing wrong with him, and now he is gone after a procedure that is supposed to keep him healthy. We knew eventually he would get old, and pass on. But we were prepared for that. But this just sucks. 1-200 and no info giving us the risks by the vet? He was like a child for my wife and I. We now mourn his loss, and nothing else matters.
We are just devastated. But if I can get the word out, and help save some body's dog from this, at least he did not die for nothing.

This is a good link, but there are plenty of info about this on the interwebs.
http://www.petzlife.com/resources/anesthesia-risk.php

Name:  junkinthetrunk019-Copy.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  64.9 KB
Name:  MeandJake.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  64.7 KB
Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Billy......

First, very sorry for the loss of your pet (and probably buddy).

Second, thanks for the info. I was not aware of the consequences of the anesthetics. Although through the years, we have had our various dogs' teeth cleaned, they were never subjected to anesthetics (we were present). But I can assure you, from this time forward, a DEMAND of NOT using anesthetics will be made.

I know what the loss of a pet means. It's been several years, but we had to
"put down" our dog, because of old age complications. I, at the time, said, "No more dogs". But you know, the house is empty with out the clicking of the nails acrossed a wood floor, or the greeting of a wagging tail when you come home. It was about 6 months and we got a new dog. And although the previous dog was unique and special, the new one is a good replacement with his own personality and uniqueness.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

So sorry for the loss of your beloved pet.
We just lost our 15 y/o Sheltie last week.

Luckily, I am aware of the anestheia problems that can occur with a dental procedure on a pet. My vet made me aware of the risks many years ago. A few years back, my daughter worked at a vet office. Told her I was gonna take the dogs in for a cleaning. She advised against it. Said the "odds" still weren't much better than they used to be.

Again. Sorry for the loss.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM

Billy, sorry for the loss of your pet. I was very aware of this and found a local person who does the cleaning without anesthesia in our house. She did a wonderful job, my dog (miniature Schnauzer) was calm and went along with the procedure with no problems. Her teeth were really clean and I will have this done once a year now. I suggest finding someone that can do it this way.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 PM

Thanks guys
I wish we had been aware. There is a page devoted to it on their web page, but I did not see it as we have been going there for years. I did not even know they had a web site. I trusted them to take care of my dog. They should have warned me of the high risks when I dropped him off. I would have cancelled the appointment.
If that was a human, they would be on the six o'clock news. Jake had it done before. I just had no idea it was so dangerous.

I want anyone who even thinks of having a dental cleaning that would be using anesthesia to sedate the animal to reconsider, and look into other avenues to keep their pet's teeth clean.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Exclamation

very sorry for your loss, We were going to have our dogs teeth done , but not now i dont want to take that chance.I did not know about the 1 in 200 would have problems.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 PM

Sorry to hear that. I work at a vet (I'm not trying to take their side) and they will not clean teeth without giving the animal something. We also make everyone sign a waiver if any sedatives or anythjbg is used. I know how you feel though, my brought my dog to me at work one day and she looked terrible, died in the office.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 AM

This for me is more about the lack of information given by the animal center. This was a routine thing that the vets recommend once a year to keep them healthy. They should have had info for me to read and sign that explained the dangers. I could have made a more informed decision. I was almost going to cancel for other reasons at the vets when I dropped him off. Had I had that info, I certainly would have, and he would be alive now. My other thought was that they were rushing to get home before the blizzard, and rushed things which caused a problem. My wife has not slept or eaten much since Friday. She has been crying or screaming mad. It is like loosing a child for us. He was our child. Just had four legs, and did not speak English well.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:52 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss, Billy. It is indeed an empty feeling, as has been stated by many.

We have lost 2 of our Shelties in the past 15 months - not by the same means, but the results and impact to us are still as devastating. On top of that, all of our girls have been sedated when they had their teeth cleaned. I had no idea the ratio, but I am aware of the risks.

Recently, we heard of Apollo Pet Care who cleans teeth without sedation. Not sure if it's available in your area and we are yet to try it out. I never knew it was an option, but evidently they just keep the animal calm. Maybe someone else on the forum who is thinking of having their pet's teeth cleaned will try it.

Again, man I know it's an empty feeling. And I know not much is going to help by way of condolences. But, those of us who have Best Buddies hurt for you.

Larry
Old 02-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

im really sorry to hear about this..I have been through this before with a Doberman we had in the past...I know about the risks of anesthesia on pets since I now have a Boxer and almost every anesthesia is deadly to Boxers.
What a "good" vet would have done was run blood work first before administering any type of anesthesia..but anyways my condolences go out to you and your wife

Quick Reply: Pet teeth cleaning with anesthesia (Warning)