The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Photos of the awesomeness!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Banned

Talking Photos of the awesomeness!

On my third trip to Best Buy this week I found the best DVD packaging idea ever! So much it made me buy a movie that I already own. It's not the first time though because I have more than one edition of other films like Donnie Darko and Army of Darkness for example. I also have many cool DVD packages in my collection like metal cases, puff print, holograms, moving images, limited editions, limited edition covers, foil print covers, special boxes, and even signed DVDs but I have never seen this before. I present the Ichi the Killer Uncut 2 Disc Special Edition Collector's Blood Bag:
Name:  ICHI001.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  47.3 KB
Name:  ICHI002.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  43.2 KB
Name:  ICHI003.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  40.9 KB
Name:  ICHI004.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  46.0 KB
Name:  ICHI005.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  45.9 KB
Name:  ICHI006.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  38.0 KB
The packaging makes it look like the discs are suspended in blood. Like I said I already own the Media Blasters / Tokyo Shock Unrated Edition but when I saw the Blood Bag Edition I had to own it. Media Blasters / Tokyo Shock didn't just rehash and re-release the movie though. They went overboard and came up with the coolest DVD case ever, included a second disc of supplemental material, cleaned up the print, and remastered the audio. I highly recommend the flick if your into bizarre Japanese ultra violence with dark humor tossed in for good measure. Here is screen cap from both editions to show how much they cleaned the print.
Unrated:
Name:  ichiUNRATED.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  23.8 KB
Blood Bag:
Name:  ichiBLOOD.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  24.6 KB
As a bonus I don't have to stare at Kakihara's ugly mug on the cover any more.

Last edited by captain howdy; 08-25-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by captain howdy
...bizarre Japanese ultra violence with dark humor tossed
... this I gotta see.....

Such a clever marketing technique... I bought SAW for it's Special Edition cover even though I allready had the DVD from a standard case.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:59 PM

Those are both so kool. Nice way to start up a collection if you dont allready have them!
Old 08-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Banned

In case anyone is wondering what the previous two best buy tips netted me the answer is Porky's Ultimate Collection with parts I - III in a special moving flip image box and Halloween parts I - III. Halloween I is the Anchor Bay re-release with the reflective slip cover that just came out on Tuesday. I have to prepare for Zombie's Halloween next week.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:02 PM

Cool Very Cool!

Old 08-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Tuesday. I have to prepare for Zombie's Halloween next week.
How does one prepare for such an event?
Old 08-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SindyDix
... this I gotta see.....
It's quite the odd and violent Yakuza film. Just about every film Miike has made has been odd though.

Ichi on Wikipedia
IMDB on Ichi
Ichi Blood Bag Edition Trailer

Such a clever marketing technique...
As soon as I saw it I had to have it. They knew it would get people like me that have their previous release to buy the new one. The only thing that sucks is that its hard to get the discs out. The blood pack kind of vacuum seals itself to the discs so you have to struggle and jiggle for a few moments to get them free. I have a CD book that does the same thing so I think it's just something with certain plastics and CD/DVDs.

Last edited by captain howdy; 08-25-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Banned

How does one prepare for such an event?
Lots of watching Carpenter's classic and carefully studying it. I'll probably watch it right before I go so I have a fresh comparison too. I know Zombie is going to up the bar with the new Halloween. Before Zombie made it he approached John Carpenter and presented him with his intention to remake his film out of respect. Carpenter told Zombie not to remake his film but make it his own. I know there is going to be a lot more blood and gore in Zombie's remake. There is hardly any in the original. I found it more atmospherically creepy kind of like Psycho.

Last edited by captain howdy; 08-26-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Banned

Oh yeah.....If you're like my wife and hate to read subtitled movies both versions of Ichi include a 2.0 and 5.1 English audio track.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Uma

Holy Crap!! You mean Best Buy sells stuff other than car audio...you gotta be kidding me, I am flabergasted Todd (Uma)

Quick Reply: Photos of the awesomeness!