The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

pt loser

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:41 PM

pt loser

i saw on tv this morning that 2009 will be the last year for the pt loser! said that sales have dropped off so bad, not worth making. wonder if the HHR had anything to do with it?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:48 PM

That and the fact that the platform, Neon, was dropped.

I still like em!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 PM

Can't say for sure but willing to bet the HHR sales took a big bite out the the PTs market. I'm doing my best to keep the dream alive and trying to sale everyone I know on these HHR's so they will stick around.

Curtis
Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 PM

We can only hope! They've had a good run though, considering that any appearance changes over the years were minimal.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:59 PM

I got nothing against the PT. But we had a Neon awhile back and it was such a POS I could never buy anything again based off its platform. Plus the PT styling is more feminine and the HHR's more masculine. Yes the HHR is based off the Cobalt/Ion (GM Delta) but I know a number of people with both cars and its a pretty tight platform, exceptional actually, and the Ecotec has a rep as a bullet proof engine as well... how can you go wrong?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I got nothing against the PT. But we had a Neon awhile back and it was such a POS I could never buy anything again based off its platform. Plus the PT styling is more feminine and the HHR's more masculine. Yes the HHR is based off the Cobalt/Ion platform (GM Delta) but I know a number of people with both cars and its a pretty tight platform, exceptional actually.
The neon was a ground breaking vehicle when it was introduced in 94 as a 95 model. Nothing GM, Ford or even the Japanese were doing at the time even came close. The neon was bigger inside, faster and handled better. It unfortunately suffered a few notable design flaws right from the start which ultimately sealed it's fate most notably the head gasket issue on pre 1999 models. I had a 98 Neon and I loved it. It was relatively trouble free in the 3 years I owned it. The only major service it required was a water pump replacement due to a leak at 105,000 miles. I had to fix the sunroof a few times as well but that was really my only gripe.

It is sad to see the PT go. competition is always good. I of course like the HHR better and agree that it is more masculine looking. Chrysler let the PT wither on the vine and the last refresh left something to be desired as far as the interior goes. so it is not surprising that it is being killed.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 PM

It says in this article at the Boston Globe that " they've started to falter as the PT faces competition from other retro models such as the Chevrolet HHR and from the growing number of wagon-like crossovers on the road."

You can read the entire article HERE.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:14 PM

the pt wasn't killed due to competition... granted the hhr did come late in the game but the hhr provided a new face on a similar design - something chrysler never really did with the pt.

but then the question - how do you update retro? you don't. so they finally killed it after a 7 year run to replace it with another vehicle...

looks like it's going to be calibur vs. hhr from now...
Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 PM

Cool bye bye pt...

I drove a PT Cruiser rental for Thanksgiving last year. It really wasn't a bad car, just not as cool as the HHR. I have nothing against it, it is a cool vehicle and I believe it will go down as one of the classics of its time. Hopefully the HHR will enjoy a run as long as the PT Cruiser.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:51 PM

My only experience with a Cruiser was at a car show a few years ago.

The wife and I sat in it and it felt cramped. I thought the window ledges were too high. Never drove one so I can't comment on that aspect of it.

At least the Cruiser has disc brakes all around...something the HHR should have had from the start.

Quick Reply: pt loser