The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

R.I.P. Joe C0cker

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:32 PM

He probably could have done a Zeppelin song. Most of the songs he did were covers.

You mention Officer and a Gentleman (Up Where We Belong), Unchain My Heart, You Can Leave Your Hat On, etc. which brings up a point. Those songs were written by, in order, Buffy St. Marie, Ray Charles, and Randy Newman.

I can't think of a song he did that he wrote. Maybe Woman to Woman or High Time We Went. Not sure. That being said, he always seemed to pick the right song to cover and had no problem modifying them to fit his style.

Feeling All Right (Dave Mason), Delta Lady (Leon Russell), With a Little Help From My Friends (Lennon, McCartney), The Letter (Wayne Thompson of The Boxtops), You Are So Beautiful (Billy Preston); all covers.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Unchain my heart (written by Bobby Sharp and first recorded by Ray Charles back in 1961)
Joe was a great cover artist, but an artist none the less RIP Joe.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by db/sb
We've lost one of the all time greats......

https://www.yahoo.com/music/joe-****...887125291.html

(Admin is there anyway you could fix the title and his name in the link? The auto censor goes overboard sometimes)
I tried, at first I thought you meant the R.I.P. part. Don't know what the problem with male chickens is. I wonder about small kittens, but won't try.

The link works, the thread title is sort of fixed.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Unchain my heart (written by Bobby Sharp and first recorded by Ray Charles back in 1961)
Yeah he actually co wrote that with another jazz great, Teddy Powell. Bobby Sharp is kind of a sad story. We lost him last year. His songwriting skills would probably be more known were it not for his drug problems.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:37 AM

I figured out a way to 'fix' the link.

RIP JOE C0CKER