The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Resume Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:25 PM

Post Resume Help

Hello Guys & Girls,

I could use some help re-writing my resume. If anyone has any spare time. Please take a look and if you have any suggestions please write back. Click here to download it http://members.aol.com/sihhr/chevyres.doc

Thanks for the support

Michael
Old 04-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Banned

I can't help you because I have never written one.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:29 PM

Its ok. But thanks for the help
Old 04-15-2006, 09:25 PM

Mike, give me a few days as I am busy with the kidlets @ Easter, but a few quick thoughts from a former hiring manager:

* likely the place you are applying has already seen hundreds of resumes. Unless the company is in desperate need of someone, your resume will get maybe 1 min before it is tossed aside---MAKE IT INTERESTING, RELEVANT and TO THE POINT...as a hiring manager I automatically tossed those resumes that were termianlly boring because likely the candidate was not imaginative enough to capture my attention. To put it another way: a movie preview is given 30 seconds to make me WANT to go blow $20+...if it doesn't wow me in 30 seconds, why would I given them 2 hours of my life? As an HR mgr, if someone couldn't do an adequate job of selling themselves to me, then why would I bother with them?

* "Objective: Looking for a full time career position." See my point above and rework. A resume is your BEST attempt to sell yourself. You have 1 page--wow them. How do YOU meet THEIR need? What are their needs? And how can you fill that need? Do your homework--tell them why they should hire YOU. What do you bring to the table? Why should they spend their money on you? Your opening objective isn't about you, it is about why they need to hire you--because you and the company are on the same page.

* Never underestimate a splash of color to capture attn and draw the focus. But please remememer I said SPLASH. I have seen a few idiots try to drowned me in color.

* Set off your headers Experience, Education, etc...change font size, underline....draw the attn

* What you list under experience needs to be PERTINENT to where you are applying. "First interviews upon applications, reference checks, offer to acceptance to new employers, including new employee paper work." Rework...wordy without saying anything. Were you involved in new employee processing? Make it short and too the point, don't be verbose. And make sure it is meaningful and important...not "Traveled extensively from NY to FL". Perhaps you might want to list that you are willing to travel if a position you apply for would require such. And use correct tense "Overseen all financial transactions in A/P, A/R, and Payroll". And each bullet should have a verb unlike "Bank reconciliation’s" or "Weekly Payroll and prepared deposits."

* On important/signif points EXPAND, for example "Trained and managed service department staff of 5 employees". Trained how? What did you do? Make is a sep point...Provided on-going managerial training to five employees", "Managed service dept employees..." Those are critical abilities that hiring managers will zero in on.

* Listing a few job responsibilities is fine, but give the HR manager something more to hold on to...not just what you did but what set you apart. Did you earn any awards? do anything signif? Lead anything? Any weenie can claim to plan budgets and make Dd you save them any money? Did you streamline any processes. As I read your "experience", I saw more a job description then telling me if you did the job well .Again, WOW them, dont just give a job descr. And who your reported to is insignif and shoulf be eliminated.

* "Relevant Courses"? No! No and again No! Unless I was looking for an entry level weenie, I tossed those resumes listing classes because it screams college dood. Under education, you could list primary emphases or areas of study, but the fact that you took Intermediate Accounting 1 & 2, Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Tax Accounting 1 & 2...guess I would have expected that from someone who got a BS in Accounting. Belong to any clubs in college? Any acctg societies? Computing groups? List those. Graduate with any honors? Again, its not JUST about getting a BS, its did you excel? And lose the "expected" graduation...it sounds like there is doubt, so if you are graduating in June, then just state it.

* Think continuity...why did you list your latest job on top in experience, but your earlier college on top in education?

* Instead of a sep category for "Working proficiency with" (which is horrifically awkward), how about a diff category like "Skills" or "Abilities" and one of the points being "Proficient in..." and list your computer skills?

* "Ref furnished upon request"? Hackneyed and archaic. Lose it. Every employer knows they can ask for references and they also know they will get nothing from them, so they dont bother.

* HR reps dont want to mess with deciding which phone number to call you at...offer ONLY your cell number as the primary way they can communicate with you.

Ok, I said a lot, probably too much. Perhaps I should get credit for two posts? Anyway, if you want, rework it and I would be willing to look at your resume again. Good luck and congrats on graduating!

Last edited by Krejaton; 04-15-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:06 PM

Think I may have to go rework my resume just in case.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Deceased

Nice post Krejton
i put this in an email and sent it to a friend that is looking if you dont mind

great stuff
Old 04-16-2006, 08:49 AM

If you truly want a career with great benefits, good pay, highly rewarding, take the FDNY entrance test.

It's THE BEST department in the world, can be exiting yet dangerous, heartbreaking yet heartwarming, is better than ANY damned rollercoaster ride. Job security is pretty high.

I passed the test years ago because that was my dreamshot. Unfortunately the wife refused to move. You live on the Island. Lots of FDNY guys live there. Ask any of them.

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-16-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by cj krause
Nice post Krejton
i put this in an email and sent it to a friend that is looking if you dont mind

great stuff
Don't know what got into me...
Old 04-17-2006, 12:29 PM

Hey Krejton whatever you can do to make my resume more attractive would be very helpful. Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:03 PM

Hey SIHHR; - here's one to give you some ideas of what's acceptable in today's job market. If you don't get any ideas from it, at least you'll get a good laugh!

Modern Resume

Quick Reply: Resume Help