The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Rethinking American Autos

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
I think GM meets that need very well. Chevrolet alone has Aveo, Cobalt, Malibu, and Impala. That easily matches Toyota going from Yaris, Corolla, Camry, and Avalon. Or even Honda's line of Fit, Civc, and Accord.

Take a look at SUVs. Chevy has Equinox, Traverse, TrailBlazer, Tahoe, Avalanche, and Suburban. TrailBlazer is going away after 2009 and Tahoe and Avalanche probably won't be far behind. Toyota has RAV4, FJ Cruiser, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser.

Also, just so everyone is clear. GM didn't lose *any* lawsuit related to Dex-Cool and the 60 degree V6 engines. They settled and are offering repair and reimbursement to certain affected owners.
Did you hear Avalanche is going away??? I'm thinking seriously about buying one.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM

Re-think American Cars? YES...some of them, but not ALL of them. I still like my Edsel and my Tucker.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 PM

I think GM meets that need very well. Chevrolet alone has Aveo, Cobalt, Malibu, and Impala. That easily matches Toyota going from Yaris, Corolla, Camry, and Avalon. Or even Honda's line of Fit, Civc, and Accord.

Take a look at SUVs. Chevy has Equinox, Traverse, TrailBlazer, Tahoe, Avalanche, and Suburban. TrailBlazer is going away after 2009 and Tahoe and Avalanche probably won't be far behind. Toyota has RAV4, FJ Cruiser, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser.

Also, just so everyone is clear. GM didn't lose *any* lawsuit related to Dex-Cool and the 60 degree V6 engines. They settled and are offering repair and reimbursement to certain affected owners.
It's becoming clear that we are basically in agreement, Chevy does have a wide range of vehicles....which is how I ended up choosing to buy my HHR. Not because it was a Chevy, or from an American company, but because it was the closest match to my needs. If Chrysler had actually built the Panel Cruiser it would have been in the running, hard to say who would have won.

I just feel that making a purchase to please someone else diminishes your enjoyment of the product.
I used to work for Zenith Radio Corp, they closed the last US plant in the 80's. I lost my job, and talked my way into a lower paying job in stamping press maintenance that over time built into a near six figure income. The last place I worked for closed, so I went to work for the company that built out feed equipment. It's less pay, but only because I only work a 45 hr week. We ship press feed equipment all over the world, inclujding Japan, China, and Korea. I do not feel sorry for those who cannot or will not read the writing on the wall and train for the future.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by frostylaw
Did you hear Avalanche is going away??? I'm thinking seriously about buying one.
I haven't heard that it is, but the plant that builds them down in Mexico is on the shut down list. They could build them somewhere else, but if they're not selling it's just as easy to kill it off. I'd buy one used since it's a buyer's market right now.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 AM

I haven't heard that it is, but the plant that builds them down in Mexico is on the shut down list. They could build them somewhere else, but if they're not selling it's just as easy to kill it off. I'd buy one used since it's a buyer's market right now.
I drove a friends Avalanche and I liked it better than my loaded 4-door F150 (which is still a very nice truck). Thinking about trading the F150 in on a new Avalanche. I see GM extended the 0% financing sale.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
Sorry, but I call BS

I have worked for suppliers to the Big 3 for 25 yrs and I still see no good reason to compromise what I need in a vehicle to support companies that aren't building what I need. Granted, my needs are somewhat of a niche market, but Detroit spent way too many years following the easy road, i.e. trucks are more profitable than small cars, than developing a small car that there was certain to be a market for. Instead, they BOUGHT their small cars from Korea as well (Aveo, anyone?) and although I have many friends who are now losing much of what they worked for due to the auto slump, I also have been telling them to get a job outside the auto industry for at least the last 5 years.

Only you can decide how much you get paid, if you want more, learn more. The days of high paying unskilled jobs are over.

+1 Want a raise? SPEND LESS. Want more money still. Attaini a marketable skill in demand. The glory days are over. Americans are driving to unemployment lines in their Toyotas yes...but they are actually MAKING it there without a breakdown or "warning light" Worse would be unemployed with an Equinox.....

There is no excuse for shoddy workmanship. The problem is the DIVISION between management and workers. NO other Automaker in the world has such a manufactured and perpetually instigated division within their respective companies. Where there is a divide their are spiteful actions, tactics, which are always paid for by the "Patriotic" buyers of their angst and ass waste.

I buy the best for the money. If its Japanese so be it.
I bought a GEO Prism years ago because I could support American while buying a quality car. And make no mistake that Prism was a great car. Whether by design or build.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
+1 Want a raise? SPEND LESS. Want more money still. Attaini a marketable skill in demand. The glory days are over. Americans are driving to unemployment lines in their Toyotas yes...but they are actually MAKING it there without a breakdown or "warning light" Worse would be unemployed with an Equinox.....

There is no excuse for shoddy workmanship. The problem is the DIVISION between management and workers. NO other Automaker in the world has such a manufactured and perpetually instigated division within their respective companies. Where there is a divide their are spiteful actions, tactics, which are always paid for by the "Patriotic" buyers of their angst and ass waste.

I buy the best for the money. If its Japanese so be it.
I bought a GEO Prism years ago because I could support American while buying a quality car. And make no mistake that Prism was a great car. Whether by design or build.
You might want to do some research in your claims of quality and workmanship of vehicles before you spout off about which is better or worse. Try looking up legit info on this, you would be surprised to see the results. GM has passed most auto companies in quality and total defects in the last 3-4 years. I guess some are more educated than others when making statements of imaginary content. I buy the best made vehicles that are made today= GM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cokeybill
You might want to do some research in your claims of quality and workmanship of vehicles before you spout off about which is better or worse. Try looking up legit info on this, you would be surprised to see the results. GM has passed most auto companies in quality and total defects in the last 3-4 years. I guess some are more educated than others when making statements of imaginary content. I buy the best made vehicles that are made today= GM.
The numbers speak for themselves. The situation GM finds themselves in speaks volumes about their "reliability" and resale value. Please. I am not one of the 66,882,230 gullible who voted for Obama. I can actually see the forest through the trees.

My HHR is more than proof. The list of issues and TSBs far exceed the same 2006 RAV 4 we have. The trips to the shop for warranty work....5-0 same mileage same year, Both vehicles have 23K miles on them. I don't believe I am the exception on both vehicles. Nor will I drink the GM Kool-Aid just because I own one.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:37 AM

I am not one of the 66,882,230 gullible who voted for Obama. I can actually see the forest through the trees.

Obviously you haven't seen the light... or the numbers
Old 02-18-2009, 07:25 AM
Banned

The numbers speak for themselves. The situation GM finds themselves in speaks volumes about their "reliability" and resale value. Please. I am not one of the 66,882,230 gullible who voted for Obama. I can actually see the forest through the trees.

My HHR is more than proof. The list of issues and TSBs far exceed the same 2006 RAV 4 we have. The trips to the shop for warranty work....5-0 same mileage same year, Both vehicles have 23K miles on them. I don't believe I am the exception on both vehicles. Nor will I drink the GM Kool-Aid just because I own one.
Technical Service Bulletins are not recalls. They are suggested solutions to previously encountered issues that may or may not ever occur in any other customer's vehicle. Your HHR is hardly proof of any of GM's so-called reliability issues. That's like saying my HHR is proof of GM's absolute perfection because I haven't had a SINGLE thing go wrong in 70,000 miles.

Oh wait. I did have a wiper switch replaced under warranty a couple months ago. My bad. This must be the worst car ever made. Especially because there is no TSB for a wiper switch malfunction that defaults to only high or low speed for safety.

Resale value isn't really an indicator of reliability or desirability for that matter. If it were, using your logic Honda and Toyota would have no depreciation at all. In fact, coming from someone who's actually been in the used car business, resale value is affected more by the actual volume of a given model in the marketplace. GM flooded the used car market with rental and fleet sales. How many RAV4's have you ever seen on a rental lot? It's simple supply and demand. Resale value is simply not a good indicator of reliability, no matter what Honda and Toyota are spouting in their latest mass-media advertisements.

In regards to "drinking the Kool-Aid", as offensive as the underlying connotation remains, I think you've already drank plenty of the "imports are always better" variety. Yes, in America you have the freedom to drive whatever you want whenever you want, to a degree. When we get to the point where there aren't any more jobs that pay a living wage in this country, the only people we'll have to blame our ourselves.

Quick Reply: Rethinking American Autos