The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Retro Wanes

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:33 AM

Retro Wanes

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
Saturday, July 28, 2007
Retro wanes but HHR keeps selling

AUTO REVIEW

This isn’t a good year for retro-styled cars. Sales of every retro model are down compared with last year, and many sales declines are in the double digits.

But even lower sales won’t stop the Chevrolet HHR, which looks like a downsized 1949 Chevy Suburban, from recording its second-best sales year.

In fact, the 2007 HHR will easily outsell the Volkswagen New Beetle and Mini Cooper retro models and could narrow its sales gap with the Chrysler PT Cruiser this year significantly.

The five-passenger, five-door HHR is the newest of the retro cars — it debuted in calendar 2005 — and is larger and more accommodating than some competitors. But it’s likely the government highway fuel economy rating of 30 miles per gallon is attracting attention these days.

A “recommended buy” listing by Consumer Reports magazine and across-the-board, five-out-of-five-stars ratings in federal government crash tests help make the HHR stand out, too.

Best of all, the 2007 HHR is affordable, with a starting manufacturer’s suggested retail price, including destination charge, of $16,595 for a base wagon with 143-horsepower, four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission.

Don’t judge the HHR from pictures. Pictures — and the old Suburban styling — make the HHR look bigger than it is in reality. While it’s true the HHR is nearly 14.7 feet long, or some 7 inches longer than the PT Cruiser, it’s quite compact and is basically the same length as a 2007 Honda Civic sedan.

Indeed, the HHR uses the same front-wheel drive platform and many components, including engines and transmissions, that are in Chevy’s subcompact sedan and coupe, the Cobalt.

But the packaging genius of the HHR — for both passengers and cargo — comes from the vehicle’s tall roof.

The HHR is 5 feet, 8 inches tall, so passengers have a more upright seating position than they do in regular cars and sit up some above the pavement. The upright seating helps provide surprisingly generous legroom of more than 40 inches in the front seats and nearly 40 inches for back-seat occupants. This is akin to what passengers get in some larger sport utility vehicles.

Headroom of 39.6 inches for the HHR back seats is laudable, too. It’s what you find in the back seat of Chevy’s mid-size SUV, the TrailBlazer, for example.

And the HHR — which stands for Heritage, as in old-style vehicle, with High Roof — offers an SUV-like 63.1 cubic feet of cargo space, maximum, when rear seats are removed. Rear seats also fold down flat, along with the seatback of the front passenger seat, for flexible cargo storage.

The HHR isn’t a plush or luxurious vehicle, though buyers can option up to leather-trimmed, heated front seats and premium sound system with Pioneer speakers.

I just wish that fewer road bumps would have come through to passengers in the test HHR with uplevel, 17-inch tires and that there hadn’t been an intermittent rattle coming from the dashboard.

There are two HHR engines, and both are fuel-thrifty, four-cylinder Ecotec units from GM.

The base, 2.2-liter powerplant delivers 143 horses and 150 foot-pounds of torque at 4,000 rpm, while the uplevel engine has a larger, 2.4-liter displacement and generates a more competitive 172 horses and 162 foot-pounds of torque at 5,000 rpm.

The bigger engine, which was part of a $1,800 option package in the test HHR LT, gets the same government fuel economy ratings as the smaller, 2.2-liter four cylinder.

But like the base engine, the uplevel unit operated with a lot of noisy bluster when pressed to accelerate quickly and when on long, uphill, highway pavement.

Last edited by Firewatcher; 07-28-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:38 AM

Here here!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:43 AM

Nice read. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:59 AM

Unhappy Am I dumb - the rear seats are removable?

Are the rear seats on the hhr removeable, as the article says? My salesman never said a thing about being able to take out the seats...
Old 07-28-2007, 10:19 AM

It reads like a review from a local or regional paper. Some of those reviewers are a tad clueless when it comes to in depth auto knowledge.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jeffro
Are the rear seats on the hhr removeable, as the article says? My salesman never said a thing about being able to take out the seats...
I think he was refering to the rear seat fold flat. I also did not know that the seats were removable? The Owners manuel does not talk about it.

The HHR is 5 feet, 8 inches tall, so passengers have a more upright seating position than they do in regular cars and sit up some above the pavement
I was not aware that the HHR is 5'8" tall, I am 5"8 1/2" tall, the HHR might be 5' tall but not 5'8". Are the 2008s taller that the 2006s?

Over all nice reading material, a few I things I did not know about!

Now how do I get the back seats out .....................hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by karen1953
I was not aware that the HHR is 5'8" tall, I am 5"8 1/2" tall, the HHR might be 5' tall but not 5'8".
I was thinking the same thing. I'm 5'7" and I am taller than my HHR. Not by much but I am.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:01 PM

Chevrolet's website shows the hhr's height as 63.1", or a touch over 5 foot 3.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:15 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 28
Size:  5.6 KB to the site okcstealth!!!

The difference between the HHR and the other retro rides (Beetle, Mini, PT) is that the HHR is still a practical choice for most people in comparison to those other 3.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:21 PM

I am still trying to get the rear seats out! Anyone find out how yet?

Quick Reply: Retro Wanes